User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a raw deal all around. However, my advice would be for your father to stick it out and do what they say. Yes, they are wrong for doing that to him. Yes, if they put an abandoment on his DAC he can dispute it and try to have it removed. However, it might take some time and be a royal pain in the rear. Even though its wrong for the company to ask him to do all of that....not doing it could cause your father lots of problems. I think he should just suck it up and wait for the truck to get done. If he doesnt he might be unemployed for quite a while trying to straighten all of this out.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, if this situation is for real, then certainally the driver should have some recourse, and I should offer my apologies for my rush to judgement.

I have been known to judge others too quickly; it's one of my VERY FEW ( :P ) shortcomings!! ops:

At the same time, we have had so many outlandish posting in the past few weeks that it is difficult for me to take this one seriously; especially since the OP doesn't want to name the company.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Sounds like a raw deal all around. However, my advice would be for your father to stick it out and do what they say. Yes, they are wrong for doing that to him. Yes, if they put an abandoment on his DAC he can dispute it and try to have it removed. However, it might take some time and be a royal pain in the rear. Even though its wrong for the company to ask him to do all of that....not doing it could cause your father lots of problems. I think he should just suck it up and wait for the truck to get done. If he doesnt he might be unemployed for quite a while trying to straighten all of this out.
Typical response from a recruiter of a bottom-barrel carrier. The more drivers that put up with this nonsense of waiting for a company truck to get fixed without pay the lesser the chance of this practice going away. Like others have said,I also am suspicious of this thread being for real :lol: ,but just in case it is than the best thing for your Dad to do is to just ride a bus back home and look for another company while at home. The company did at least offer to bus him back home,didn't they?He should have left the truck there a long time ago. It would have been much cheaper to wait the repairs out at home than in a ratty hotel. He may have even found a much better job while at home also. Posting the name of the bottomfeeder carrier would help too,Chad. :lol:

P.S. ,A word of advice to newbiesO NOT CARRY TOO MANY PERSONAL BELONGINGS while out on the road,just the bare neccessities will do if you do not stay out longer than 2-3 weeks at a time,or unless your name is Tony and you live 85 % of the time in a greabel truck. :lol:
Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Rookie

Ya unfortunately this post is for real, My dad has been in the trucking industry for over 4 yrs, and 1 yr with this company (no names) I shall give out the name when my father is completely done with them, who knows if their employees read these forums and my dad might suffer some reprocutions for giving out the name so I'll leave that out for now. But anyway good news today the truck was finally fixed and my dad is waiting for a cargo to take back to PA and leave it at the terminal. As far as waiting for a cargo I have no damn clue and don't care because I'm glad the truck is fixed and my dad will be done completely with this company this week. I appreciate all the prompt responses in this matter and I'm sure I would have some questions later on, I don't see my father leaving this industry any time soon.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Typical response from a recruiter of a bottom-barrel carrier. The more drivers that put up with this nonsense of waiting for a company truck to get fixed without pay the lesser the chance of this practice going away
Forgive me if your "bottom of the barrel" comment doesnt offend me when we are doing so well over here.
As far as the "typical response" from a recruiter. If he wants he can take your advice and just leave and get an abandoment on his DAC, spend the next year unemployed trying to get that removed and having no one hire him. Perhaps when unemployed, he can then spend more time on message boards complaining about how he was screwed. At least until he cant pay his internet bill because he has no paycheck.
Like i said....what that company is doing is wrong. However the lesser of too evils would be doing what they say, then moving on. Doing the right thing, standing up to this horrible practice and going against the trucking company isnt always the best thing to do. Being unemployed, not being able to find a job, getting behind on his bills could lead to the guy ending up homeless. Griping about what a horrible company did to you DOESNT feed your family.
I guess sitting around a homeless shelter explaining to the other homeless people how the trucking company screwed you, but you sure showed them by not returning their truck, has its merits, but I would rather be able to feed my family.
AGAIN...this is what he should do. Tell him to document or record what they are telling you that you have to do. Include the threats of putting it on his DAC and then do exactly what they say to do. Then after all is said and done and he has another job...take action. Otherwise in a few weeks you will be out here with a post headlined "help...my dad cant find a job because of false information on his DAC"
Old 08-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
P.S. ,A word of advice to newbiesO NOT CARRY TOO MANY PERSONAL BELONGINGS while out on the road,just the bare neccessities will do if you do not stay out longer than 2-3 weeks at a time
Sounds like your speaking from experience? Typical advice from the bottom of the barrel driver who jumps company's every 3 months. Not every company is out to screw you.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
P.S. ,A word of advice to newbiesO NOT CARRY TOO MANY PERSONAL BELONGINGS while out on the road,just the bare neccessities will do if you do not stay out longer than 2-3 weeks at a time
Sounds like your speaking from experience? Typical advice from the bottom of the barrel driver who jumps company's every 3 months. Not every company is out to screw you.

Seems you misread what was written. It seems like you are another goofy recruiter,but I could be wrong. :lol: I drive for myself and have only driven for 3 companies in the last 7 years. MOST carriers,mainly the major ones,are making a good amount of money off their drivers while stealing days of their time. The advice was not to anyone who job-hops but to eliminate the extra hassle of moving extra belongings around. The only things I carry on the road with me are a laptop,cooler,cleaning,bathroom,and shaving supplies,clothes,and bedding. For business use I have a binder,notebook,and a few set of pens. That is all you should need.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:
Typical response from a recruiter of a bottom-barrel carrier. The more drivers that put up with this nonsense of waiting for a company truck to get fixed without pay the lesser the chance of this practice going away
Forgive me if your "bottom of the barrel" comment doesnt offend me when we are doing so well over here.
As far as the "typical response" from a recruiter. If he wants he can take your advice and just leave and get an abandoment on his DAC, spend the next year unemployed trying to get that removed and having no one hire him. Perhaps when unemployed, he can then spend more time on message boards complaining about how he was screwed. At least until he cant pay his internet bill because he has no paycheck.
Like i said....what that company is doing is wrong. However the lesser of too evils would be doing what they say, then moving on. Doing the right thing, standing up to this horrible practice and going against the trucking company isnt always the best thing to do. Being unemployed, not being able to find a job, getting behind on his bills could lead to the guy ending up homeless. Griping about what a horrible company did to you DOESNT feed your family.
I guess sitting around a homeless shelter explaining to the other homeless people how the trucking company screwed you, but you sure showed them by not returning their truck, has its merits, but I would rather be able to feed my family.
AGAIN...this is what he should do. Tell him to document or record what they are telling you that you have to do. Include the threats of putting it on his DAC and then do exactly what they say to do. Then after all is said and done and he has another job...take action. Otherwise in a few weeks you will be out here with a post headlined "help...my dad cant find a job because of false information on his DAC"

Are J.B. hunt drivers so strapped for money that a short period of unemployment would make them homeless and unable to provide for their families? :shock: It wouldn't take a long time to repair a Dac report. Several companies threaten abandonment on a Dac but never actually report it. It is just a way to blackball drivers from leaving. Reading the employee or lease agreements when hiring or leasing on helps with issues such as these when they occur.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Board Regular

Moral of the story; Stay away from coolie carriers.

What is a DAC? Never worked anywhere that uses that POS service. All DAC is there for is so the bottom feeder training companies have something to threaten drivers with and to blackball the ones who buck the system.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:22 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Time Dweller
Moral of the story; Stay away from coolie carriers.
Indeed.

Can you imagine a factory worker quitting his job and the boss saying "sorry, Joe. You can't leave cause your drill press is broken. So you'll have to hang around the factory floor unpaid and sleep on the couch in the breakroom till we get it fixed. And don't get any ideas about skipping out of here. No sireebob. Cause if you do, we'll charge you with "Drill Press Abandoment" and rat you out to every company in town so you won't be able to feed your family."

The threats...the extortion...the unpaid waiting around. Well, there you have it folks. Reason #1,154,233 why you should avoid OTR coolie-carrier trucking like the plague it is.