I take that as an insult :lol:

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ha Ha, you guys are great. Truck drivers are the most interesting people of all. When H.264 PC surveillance technology if further evolved (efficient processing of sound/visual alarms), we will be able to see drivers in their trucks as they drive in their signature blocks, like the temperature blocks in some now.

Technology will be good for drivers to communicate better. A great community of real characters.

Just don't forget to turn it off when you pull the p bottle out ops:
Old 08-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Rak
Good things for trucking for me?

I drive 2 days out of the week at the most. I get paid to watch & work concerts from the best seat in the house. I get to drive down roads and dock in lots that no truck should ever drive down and noone will stop me because the show won't go on without my cargo: the PA.
Hat Rak;

My understanding was that the work of a driver working concert tours (rock concerts, C/W, etc.) was very demanding and rather grueling. I'm rather suprised to see that you only drive about two days out of the week.

How many miles do you average between shows?? Are you responsible for overseeing the loading/unloading of equipment?/ What kind of driving background (bedbugger, for example??) do production companies like drivers to have??

Could you discuss your work in more detail?? I know that there have been several others who have posted, wanting to know more about it.

Truth be told, this would probably make for an interesting thread topic all on it's own!!

Thanks!!
Well, I'd be more than happy to delve into my job description for ya Right now, Carrie Underwood is up on stage, and I'm chilling out backstage behind the monitor mixing console stealing wi-fi. I've been out on the road for the past 4 weeks, and I'll be getting 2 weeks off to work in the shop before going back out. I worked Luis Palau in Omaha, 10 thousand lakes in detroit lakes MN, Creation West at the Gorge in central WA, and now I'm at WE Fest also at the same venue in MN.

I have a B.M. in Music Production & Engineering, with 6 mo OTR driving experience with Roehl before I signed up with Blackhawk Audio. The rig is a '96 Freightliner Classic with a Cat & 10-speed and a Xtra Lease 53'. The load for the summer is 21 Meyer Sound 700-HPs, 24 JBL Vertec 4889's, 20 Meyer MSL-4s, 2 Analog mixing desks by Soundcraft, 2 M7 digital desks by Yamaha, 12 Adamson Single 12" Monitor Wedges, lots of mic stands, amp racks, wireless units, signal processors, system processors, power distribution, camlock feeder & 5-wire power cables, ramlatch & sine snakes, TARPS!. So the rig is packed all the way to the doors, and the tandems are always very close to 34,000. We use a ton of shoring bars, plywood, and straps to keep everything secure and stacked double-high. Before arriving in Detroit Lakes this past week, I was stopped at the scale at the 5 MM on 94 and the inspector did a Level 2 with me, asked me to open up the barn doors and just said "HOLY @#$!"

On the audio aspect, I fly/land the loudspeakers up in the air with double point 1-ton motors, set up/tear down the stage audio cabling, assist guest engineers for various bands like Switchfoot, Relient K, Alan Jackson, Keith Urban, Toby Keith, the Newsboys, Third Day, John Anderson, Heartland, Leanne Rhymes, the list just goes on forever. Load-in and set-up is all of a 8-10 hour day, and the show days are anywhere from 10 to 18 hour days. Tear down for this particular festival will be very long, we're expecting about a 22-24 hour day on Saturday; that's from the first band loading in to the moment I shut the doors of the trailer with everything inside it, but we have plenty of chances to take naps during the day. Usually tear down takes between 2-3 hours

The other drivers I have come across do not help out with loading/unloading or any of the set-up. They just drive in, back up to the dock, and shut down until it's time to go to the next show. Since I'm with an audio company, they expect me to also be an audio tech, which is something I'm very comfortable doing. Typically I drive between 500 - 1000 miles from show to show. WA to Minn was about 1300 miles, and I get paid a day rate. If I go over 500 miles on that day, I get paid another day rate. So this past trip, I drove for 2 days but got paid for driving 3. I get paid a day rate for working the shows as well. The money is better than what it was driving for Roehl.

If you're looking to get into driving for a touring artist, lighting, stage, video or audio company, try looking to a motor carrier called Stage Call, they're out of Arizona and they drive big red Pete 379's and make something like $300 per diem when they sit during the show, and a cpm somewhere in the .40's.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but hope this perks your ears towards this kind of work. Sure the days are long but the work is rewarding, the food & hotel is free, and the concerts are awesome. If you have any other questions for me, shoot me a PM. Ok, Alan Jackson is up.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:29 AM
Board Regular

Sounds worth it to me to just be able to stare at Miss Underwood 8) :wink:
Old 08-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Rookie

I've been driving OTR off and on for around 7 years. I've tried a few desk jobs in there - dispatching, freight claims, but have found I am not very tolerant of politics, gossip, and fresh fertilizer that keeps cropping up in the office environment.

I wouldn't say I run with diesel in my veins, but driving suits me very well. You don't have to answer 300 phone calls a day and you have very little supervision - so long as you do your job, don't mess up, you'll have a good day. Yes there are some negative aspects of the job, but that's no different than with any job, barring a bikini contest judge or similar.

The key is finding a niche where you will be happy. For some, it's OTR, and others like regional and even local. I have about a 2-3 hour tolerance for heavy traffic, so local is generally out for me.

My dedicated automotive run dried up on me (company is taking their toys and going home), so it's back to regional for me. I even passed on another dispatching position, opting for more independence.

The good things? Sunrises and sunsets of course, even scenery. But you'll get accustomed to those after awhile. I've found that lately the good things for me come as a matter of course in doing the job. A difficult back where I have to think and plan is now fun. :shock: Taking a corner and have the tandems track right along the curbside, getting surprised by a green light at an intersection and scoring the exact gear needed, etc.

While you're single, go OTR and have a great time. When you get a family, you'll probably want more hometime, and you'll start looking at regional or dedicated. The best thing about trucking is you'll never be out of a job if you're not lazy. The next best thing about trucking is there are so many angles and aspects to this industry, almost anyone can find their niche and work the angle that best suits their life.

God, I feel like Dr. Phil now...

Bill
Old 08-04-2007, 08:59 PM

I went into trucking because I had always had a desire to drive a truck, but never had a good reason to do it, until i messed my college up and got into more debt than I could handle. Driving a truck made me GROW UP, and I went from being a kid to a responsible adult. It taught me so much about myself and that I was capable of so much more than I'd ever thought possible. I have pushed my limits, and become very self-disciplined and focused with my life. That's what trucking has done for me. It made me become a man. Although I now realize trucking isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life, it has given me what I need to succeed in college that I didn't have before. Self-discipline and focus. So I'm returning to college this August to finish my degree. It also allowed me to get my finances under control. So those are some of the good things trucking can do for you. I also have seen many interesting places and met some fascinating people along the way. These experiences will last a life time. And I'm proud of learning to drive a truck and no one can ever take that away from me.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
I went into trucking because I had always had a desire to drive a truck, but never had a good reason to do it, until i messed my college up and got into more debt than I could handle. Driving a truck made me GROW UP, and I went from being a kid to a responsible adult. It taught me so much about myself and that I was capable of so much more than I'd ever thought possible. I have pushed my limits, and become very self-disciplined and focused with my life. That's what trucking has done for me. It made me become a man. Although I now realize trucking isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life, it has given me what I need to succeed in college that I didn't have before. Self-discipline and focus. So I'm returning to college this August to finish my degree. It also allowed me to get my finances under control. So those are some of the good things trucking can do for you. I also have seen many interesting places and met some fascinating people along the way. These experiences will last a life time. And I'm proud of learning to drive a truck and no one can ever take that away from me.
very insightful reply.....all the best to you! :wink:
Old 08-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Board Member

no wife, no kids ? then why you going into trucking ? most of us go into trucking to get away from the wife & kids ... :lol: hey i'm just joking. i've done very well in the trucking bus. if it could work out for you like it did me... you would beg, borrow & steal to get into trucking. the freedom as an o/o is the # 1 reason & pay is the #2 for me. as of my runs now i'm home every day i 'm gone 7-8 hours a day for 600.00 a day to the truck. not gross. before now i would leave home & be back inless than 30 hours & be done for the entire week with 1,800 if i did 2 rounds in a week i'd have $3600-3800
Old 08-06-2007, 07:07 PM