User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Abandonment

A good friend of mine from my trucking class called me today. He drove for Stevens for about 4 or 5 months. Then he got pissed off at them and trucking in genral and left his truck at a truck stop and went home. After working as a security gaurd for the last 6 months or so, he now wants to get back out on the road. How hard would it be for him to overcome the black mark that I am pretty sure is on his record. He has no criminal history, accidents or tickets. Other than the abandonment, he would be an easy hire. Any company sugestions?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Board Member

maybe a small outfit that does not use DAC

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Better tell Barney he needs to hold on to his single bullet.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Abandonment

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh31
Then he got pissed off at them and trucking in genral and left his truck at a truck stop and went home.

How hard would it be for him to overcome the black mark that I am pretty sure is on his record. He has no criminal history, accidents or tickets. Other than the abandonment, he would be an easy hire. Any company sugestions?
Larryh31:

With absolutely NO sarcasm intended, your observation that "Other than the truck abandonment, he would be an easy hire" is analogous to saying "Other than the rollover accident, followed by a failed drug test,....."

Truck abandonment is one of the biggest "Thou Shalt Not's" in the trucking industry, as well that it should be.

Truck abandonments not only cost a company money and pose an increased risk to theft, vandalism, and legal liabilities, they also demonstrate a very serious character deficiencied on the part of the driver. Abandonments send a clear and unequivocable message that this driver is exactly what no company needs or wants.

So, your friend got pissed with Stevens.....based upon what I've hesrd about Steven's, that comes as no suprise.

The real issue at hand,is "How did your friend conduct himself" Pisses with Stevens or not, he is still responsible for his own conduct.

Look at what an abandonment says about a driver:

Maturity:
No willingness to behave like an adult in dealing with issues.

Trustworthiness:
Can a compant trust this driver to arrive at point A on time, pick up a load, transport the load and drive the truck for hundreds, or even thousands of miles, arrive at a destination on time, with the load intact, and the truck in one piece?

People Skills:
Your friend got pissed, so he just walked away from a problem, rather than deal with it so that the truck could be properly returned.

Stability:
Four or five months with a driving job, followed by six months as a security guard?? Enough said on that one!!

These are just a few of the issues presented by an abandonment. I don't even know if the outlaw companies would touch him!! They usually don't pay squat, they will often make a company like Stevens, Prime, or CR England look like a cushy government job, and the last thing they are set to deal with is an abandonment.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was a good one!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quite appropriate as well. More than likely a snowball has a greater chance of surviving in hell, than your friend has a chance of getting back in the seat.

More than likely...if he digs deep enough and grovels enough he may be able to find a bottomfeeder who will pay him squat and treat him worse.... But what's he going to do then? Abandon a truck again?

Tell him this: Get humble, call Stevens and "grovel" for another chance. If he can't do that..... tell him "to hold on to his single bullet"!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
:P

That was TOO FUNNY!! If you want to help your friend, you might buy him some "Energizer" batteries for his flashlight!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

abandonment carries the same red flags for a company as a DUI
Old 07-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member

You will have a hard time getting hired by any trucking company,...they hate it when a driver abandons a truck/trailer.
Hey,..I know how you feel,..I worked for Stevens as well, and I up and quit on them also,...but... I drove their equipment back to their Dallas location, and left the units in the safety lane inside the service garage. I also payed for the fuel to get it there.
As an adult there are certain things you do,...and things you don't.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:14 PM

He might want to pull a copy of his DAC and see exactaly what is says as far as that is concerned. Because of his abandonment he will probably not be an easy hire unless whoever he applies to does not use DAC, alot of smaller companies dont even know what that is.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
unless whoever he applies to does not use DAC,
Talk about a catch 22 in the making.

If he wants credit for his driving experience he is going to have to put down Stevens as a former employer. The company he applies to must verify all employment in the last 3 years. They also may choose to verify all driving jobs held in the last 10.

If he does not put Stevens down then he is a total newbie and if the company he applies to later finds out that he did not list Stevens on his application he will be terminated immediately for falsifying an application which will be another nail in the coffin of his driving career.

I find it quite funny when I see advice of this nature. "Find a company that does not use DAC." It does not matter folks. Your employment record is going to get out one way or another.