User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default drug screen advice needed

I had a random drug screen and they asked 'what all are you taking?' I told them about my blood pressure medicine and anti-depressant, both of which I had been on for 4 years.
Turns out the anti depressant (lexapro) was against DOT regulations. Ok, no prob. I went to my doctor and got him to say I was no longer taking it. I took this note back to the clinic and they signed off on my health card.
Apparently this wasn't good enough though. The Alabama DOT sent me a form that my doctor had to fill out. I never received it. When applying for another job it turns out that my liscence was suspened. I call the DOT and get it straightened out by having them fax me the document again and taking it to the doctor and having him fax it to them.
So I think everything is hunkie dory. I applied to Maverick, and they say that because I 'failed a drug screen' I am not eligible to work with them and have to wait 5 years and have proof of rehab. I explain to them that I didn't fail anything, but they didn't seem to believe me.
How can I get this straightened out? I'm feeling pretty screwed here and I haven't done anything wrong.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member

ok, there is something missing here between you not getting a doctors note and your license being suspended.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Rookie

I probably wasn't clear enough. Here's part of the email I just sent to Maverick, which shows the order things happened:

1) I was taking lexapro, an anti depressant, for about 3 years.
2) At a random drug screen I listed all the medications I was taking.
3) It turns out Lexapro is not allowed for CDL drivers.
4) I stoped taking lexapro and got my doctor to write a note saying so to the clinic testing me.
5) The DOT needed additional forms filled out. They mailed them to me but I did not receive them.
6) While applying for a job I find out my liscence has been suspended because DOT never got the forms.
7) I contact the Alabama DOT, they fax me the forms I need to fill out.
8) I fill them out, return them to them, my license is set to 'active' again.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: drug screen advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman
How can I get this straightened out? I'm feeling pretty screwed here and I haven't done anything wrong.
1) First, do not apply for any more trucking jobs.
2) Order a copy of your DAC Report from USIS 1-800-381-0645. www.usis.com
3) After you get your DAC report in the mail. Review it to see what information it is showing in regards to "your failed drug test"
4) If the information is incorrect, send them a certified letter with documentaion proving your side of the case.
5) After you recieve written conformation that your report has been updated, then you can apply for a trucking job.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Rookie
Default Re: drug screen advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh31
Quote:
1) First, do not apply for any more trucking jobs.
2) Order a copy of your DAC Report from USIS 1-800-381-0645. www.usis.com
3) After you get your DAC report in the mail. Review it to see what information it is showing in regards to "your failed drug test"
4) If the information is incorrect, send them a certified letter with documentaion proving your side of the case.
5) After you recieve written conformation that your report has been updated, then you can apply for a trucking job.
Ok will do thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Rookie

Ok I mailed off for my free copy of my DAC. Sure wish there had been some way to order it over the phone, but what ya gonna do? Thanks for pointing me in that direction, at least it will give me some proof to fax recruiters that I didn't fail a drug screen.

I guess what that guy at Maverick saw was that I had taken a drug screen and shortly thereafter gotten my license suspended. Does that sound right to you guys more in the know? Or am I missing something here? I would have thought they would have pulled my DAC themselves, but maybe they deal with so many guys trying to get on that actually have failed a drug screen that they just didn't bother because my file looked similar?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Ok I mailed off for my free copy of my DAC. Sure wish there had been some way to order it over the phone, but what ya gonna do? Thanks for pointing me in that direction, at least it will give me some proof to fax recruiters that I didn't fail a drug screen.

I guess what that guy at Maverick saw was that I had taken a drug screen and shortly thereafter gotten my license suspended. Does that sound right to you guys more in the know? Or am I missing something here? I would have thought they would have pulled my DAC themselves, but maybe they deal with so many guys trying to get on that actually have failed a drug screen that they just didn't bother because my file looked similar?

You are probably right on the money, they so many of these failed drug tests, that everything after that is irrelevant.
As previously stated, dont apply to anymore companies til the mess is cleared up.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:47 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

The thing that is missing is SOMEONE is reporting that you failed a drug screen. That's not DOT data...that is from a company. So who is reporting it?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member

I too would love to know what company has put you through all of this.

I am also curious as to why and who told you that you could not take Lexapro and drive a CMV.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
I too would love to know what company has put you through all of this.

I am also curious as to why and who told you that you could not take Lexapro and drive a CMV.
It's a clinic in Mobile, AL. called The Taylor Clinic. I just went in for a standard drug screen and wasn't sweating it since I'd reckon I drink less than a 12 pack of beer a year, let alone doing drugs. I do smoke cigarettes, but that's about it.

They were pretty adamant about the lexapro thing, which was strange since I had taken it for 3-4 years and had a ton of drugscreens in that time, always saying upfront what I took. I figured that either the other places had just missed it or it was some new DOT regulation.

You think I'm being steered wrong by these folks?

Edit: I guess the DAC report will show if someone is saying that I failed a drug screen. If that is the case, what is the quickest way to resolve it? Do I need to get a lawyer? I'll do whatever it takes, all I know how to do is drive; if I can't drive I'm going to have to go back to security guard work or some similar dead-end, low paying job.

Edit 2: I called the AL DOT and they said that their records didn't show me failing a drug screen. Not sure how comprehensive their records are?