Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
There seems to be some confusion:

Wolfman said:

Quote:
I had a random drug screen and they asked 'what all are you taking?'
Wolfman, whos is they and why did you take a "random" drug screen?

Why did you put the word random in quotes? That seems to imply that it wasn't random. It was just a random drug screen. In every DOT job I've had I've gotten popped maybe once a year. Maybe you haven't.

I'm just looking for advice here, and I got it. Thanks to everyone who helped.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Wolfman, from your post I am implying (correct me if Im wrong) that you are not currently employed. A "random" drug test is generally given by your employer or company. I am only trying to understand why you had to take a random drug test.

I just looked back through the posts, I see Twilight flyer actually asked the same question. I think I got it, now
Old 07-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Lesson learned from this is to not tell them what you are taking. Unless it will show up on a drug test keep it to yourself.
That is wrong advice. The drug screening is a simple test, but can detect all kinds of chemicals within your body. You should always take your prescripts to all dot testing so that they know what you are on.

Furthermore, your doctor needs to be aware that some medications that they may prescribe may disqualify you on a DOT physical. He needs to prescribe medication which will allow you to keep driving. :wink:
Nope. Those tests are designed to pick up illegal substances. Drugs like opiates, amphetamines, alcohol, cocaine, pcp, cannibus, etc. It is not going to detect anti-depressants. If you prescription contains amphetamines, ie ADHD drugs, then disclose.

This guy got railroaded by a misinformed medical staff. I don't report the two prescriptions I'm taking and have never had a problem.
If you don't report ALL prescription meds you're on and you're involved in a serious accident (God forbid), you WILL be in serious doo-doo.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:50 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
The drug screening is a simple test, but can detect all kinds of chemicals within your body. You should always take your prescripts to all dot testing so that they know what you are on.
Cluggy is dead on. Many prescriptions give false positives. If the M.O. knows what prescriptions you are on, if a false positive pops up, it's no big deal and the test comes back clean. If a false positive does come up because of a prescription that you did not disclose, you are then on the hook for paying for a followup test on the 2nd sample and will likely be let go from your company because of not disclosing your medications. At the very least, you're in for a long road in clearing things up.

BigWheels is right, too. If you're on medication and do not disclose it to the company you are driving for and are in a serious accident, that company legal umbrella will, in all likelyhood, not protect you.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Full disclosure is your friend.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Correct me if Im wrong. But even if you have a prescription for something and that drug wasnt OK for DOT and truck drivers, I believe that will still count as a failed drug test. I talked to a driver not too long ago who was on heavy pain medication. Had a prescription however still failed the drug test for that reason. He tried to fight it, however it was a lost cause.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Correct me if Im wrong. But even if you have a prescription for something and that drug wasnt OK for DOT and truck drivers, I believe that will still count as a failed drug test. I talked to a driver not too long ago who was on heavy pain medication. Had a prescription however still failed the drug test for that reason. He tried to fight it, however it was a lost cause.
Your not wrong Sheep. it is the Driver's responsibility to communicate his or her job requirement's to the treating physician. Not all Doc's are knowledgable about "DOT" requirements pertaining to medication's, and the effects of treatment on a Driver's livelyhood.

I know there are 3 specific pain med's, under which you cannot drive while taking. I did not know that there is a med for depression that you cannot drive while taking. Most "over the counter" liquid cold/flu remedies will also give a "false" positive.

It is best for a driver to report all medications to either their TERMINAL Manager, or to the CORPORATE medical officer, if such exists, at the outset of treatment. Giving out one's personal medical information is not something anyone enjoys the thought of. However...when withholding such information can be a "Career" event...what do you do?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Amazing...several "discussions" this week on drug test's and dis-allowed drugs, and one of those "Dis-allowed" drugs turns up in the news.

ABINGDON, Va.(AP) A federal judge on Friday fined Purdue Pharma L.P., the maker of OxyContin, and three of its executives $634.5 million for misleading the public about its risk of addiction.

Purdue Pharma, its top lawyer and former president and former chief medical officer pleaded guilty in May for claiming that OxyContin was less addictive and less subject to abuse than other pain medications.

Michael Friedman, who retired in June as Purdue's president, general counsel Howard Udell and former chief medical officer Paul Goldenheim each pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of misbranding the drug. Of the total fine, $34.5 million was levied on those three.

U.S. District Judge James Jones placed the company on probation for five years and each of the executives on probation for three years. He also ordered the three to perform 400 hours of community service related to prevention of prescription drug abuse.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Board Regular

I just can't believe that 3 people are able to pay 11.5 mill each. :shock:
Old 07-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
I just can't believe that 3 people are able to pay 11.5 mill each. :shock:
LOL.. :shock: :shock: How long has it been since you bought prescription medicine???

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Pharmacutical Managers are just like Oil Company manager's...filthy rich...and not enough time to spend it all!!! That Judge just hepped em spend sum of it !!! :mrgreen:
Old 07-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

LOL.. :shock: :shock: How long has it been since you bought prescription medicine???
Yeah very good point :lol: