User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Drew- I meant to say "he had his truck with him".. Just one of those days where my brain was spilling out of my ears ops: The only reason I am considering teaming for CRST is that I heard that they treat drivers well.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
Now,...the second guy was a total pig!
He would down a steak and chase it with a bottles of Pepto (the bottles would roll all around the cab), 2 hrs later he would be juicing in his undies, and then he would throw the poo covered underwear in the storage nook on the top bunk, I got him to put them in zip-locks till he could wash them.
Then he would leave his stinking,....and I do mean STINKING shoes up by the jump seat while he was in the sleeper, I got him to use a hat on the seat instead.
We were in Vegas and I went hiking during our weekend off, and when I came back to the truck he had pawned some of my stuff to pay for a hooker, and there was gaaak all over my mattress.
Every time I would go in the back to sleep, he would either hit the rumble strip, slam the brakes, or get us lost. He even got nailed by DOT for log book violations.
Needless to say I was happy to see him go his own way, and I will never team again.

To team you really need to like the person you're with, and be able to tolerate their bad habits,...it's a lot like being married.
8) :lol: :shock: :x
Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 AM

I team with my nephew. We are more like brothers with only 2 yrs between us. Anyway I like driving team. Which I do trust him with my life and money. I've done some solo trips when he wanted some time off or was sick. It is alot easier to slid your tandems and 5th wheel with some help. You have a navigater to help you find your reciever. You don't have to eat alone. If one of us is not feeling well the other can take up the slack. We are both very hard sleepers. I sleep just fine rolling down the road. Just make sure you use the net over the bed. Kept me in bed a couple of times. lol You always have a spotter so we never have to get out and look. We have walkie talkies for backing. We are both very hard sleepers. Some of the cons are not being able to jam the tunes or have the cb up too loud. I will say you have to find someone you can get along with. If I wasn't teaming with my nephew I would be running solo. Your probably better off solo unless you can find a trust worthy co-driver. BOL
Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Pros and Cons of teaming????

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.
As a new driver I've considered running with a team company and I would like to hear from you gals and guys about your thoughts and suggestions of teaming right out of school with no solo experience yet. :?: I knew it can be cramped in the truck sometimes but is it worth it to team???
YoungZ: I must admit that I always thought you were a guy. Your post makes me think otherwise, and therefore, your expectations and experiences driving team may be different than mine.

I am not the ONLY one here who has or does drive team (obviously,) but I seem to be one of the FEW who can deal with it. When I went to CDL school, I hadn't really thought that much about it, although I had read this forum extensively beforehand. I just didn't have a preconceived idea of which I would prefer.

MANY drivers, due to our personalities, are naturally predisposed to driving solo. Being ex-military, I was "used" to sharing small rooms in barracks, and trusting my life to a pilot when I flew "backend."

I see MANY advantages to, at least starting out, driving TEAM.

1) As a newbie, you will come across MANY situations that you don't have the experience to handle. An experienced team memaber, or trainer, will handle it... and you will learn how to do the same.

2) For those who need it, it helps to have a spotter for backing, sliding tandems, etc.

3) Some people actually enjoy having someone to talk with during a weeklong (or longer) time on the road.

4) Most companies dispatch their LONGER runs to teams. You may get more miles with less "sitting on your thumbs," and less delays for multiple drops and pickups.

5) You cannot get "coast to coast" with perishibles like produce, or other JUST IN TIME freight, by driving solo, and especially not if you want to get back HOME every week. The only way to see the country driving solo, is to stay out for weeks at a time. Otherwise... you must "settle" for regional. I don't LIKE the region I live in, so I don't want to WORK here JUST so I can be home weekly.

6) You usually do NOT have to fight the HOS. You can drive 10 and sleep a full 10, and then have a sitdown meal and/or a shower.

7) You have LESS of a possibility of having to physically unload freight, as you often do on the regional/dedicated routes for solos (especially if you want to stay close to home.)

8.) I RARELY have to worry over finding a parking spot for the night. If I'm stopping for an hour to eat and switch, I'll park in a "temporary" place and no one ever bothers me over it.

NOW.... for the disadvantages.....

1) You have to learn to share, and compartment, the available space. Keep your stinky shoes with YOU in the sleeper... and demand that he/she does the same.

2) You might have to get a set of earphones if you want to jam.

3) It is not as easy to just pull over and take a quick nap when you need one, although it can be done in the seat if you keep your pillow in the overhead compartment.

4) You have to learn to sleep while moving. This is impossible for some (apparently.) I have NO problem with it! I am a LIGHT sleeper, and I "DO" wake up whenever my codriver "comes off the road." By that, I mean an offramp! But the same would apply if he hit the growler! It's all good, though, cuz I may need to stop and pee anyway! I "usually" only wake up 2 or 3 times per 10-12 hours, and I go back to sleep easily. I find that the rhythm of the road, even the bouncing, becomes a "sedative" of sorts that helps me sleep. It ALSO, helps to keep my spine in alignment! (further details available, if you want them.)

5) I don't have to sleep next to a noisy reefer in a truckstop. (sorry, that belongs up above!)

6) I have to be willing to trust my life to another driver. Once I've seen that he is as capable as ME, I have little problem with this. I guess I'm just used to being "trusting." My parents drove us kids coast to coast for YEARS when I was young. They NEVER had a wreck. I just don't worry about these things the way some people do.

7) I don't get to shutdown for 12 hours or more everynight and go to the local restaurant/bar for a good meal and a few beers. Somehow, I think this is a "good thing." :wink:

Well.... I guess that's about it for now. If I think of something else, I'll post it. Personally, when I went through school, I found that Covenant had the BEST pay rate for teams coming out of school. CRST is probably okay, though.

I went with a midsize company, and got treated much better! They have a "niche" market, and I think this is the BEST way to get what you want.

I average 5500 miles EVERY week, with 2 days off AT HOME. I can take more time if I want (no forced dispatch.)

I actually HAVE enjoyed the few chances I've had to drive SOLO. Perhaps, when I have my 2 years or more in with ONE company, I may change to that. I just don't think it is the best way for MOST drivers to start out. I had almost NONE of the problems/hangups that I hear from most newbie solo's, and yet, even "I" preferred to start out as a team. Take that for what it's worth. But, "I'M" not part of the "turnover" problem in this industry. And I've never had to ask another company's driver to back my truck into a slot!

I hope this helps. I'll address a few of the other posts here when I get a chance.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for the post golfhobo. Oh I am male. I don't know what made ya think otherwise :lol:
Old 07-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
As a new driver I've considered running with a team company and I would like to hear from you gals and guys about your thoughts and suggestions of teaming right out of school with no solo experience yet. :?: I knew it can be cramped in the truck sometimes but is it worth it to team???
YOU picked the order. Granted, it wasn't posted on the "Women in Trucking" forum, but it indicated a "preference" for the category of response.

My mistake. Like I said.... I THOUGHT you were a male.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Board Regular

I am a man amoung men there golfhobo :lol:. From now on you are no longer allowed to THINK during your responses. Your replies will be sent to you via Rev, GMan, banditscousin, etc. :wink: No more using your brain :lol:

OH, has anyone heard from Rev lately???????? I swear he has posted anything for 2 weeks.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Rookie

I'm teaming with a Swift trainer right now.

I'm encouraged to cheat on my logs so we can get 6,000 miles per week.

The trainer spends every waking hour on the cell phone.

We almost crashed because he was on the phone and trying to shift on a left turn at the same time. He missed a gear and we almost flipped.

He uses the qualcomm AND sends text messages while driving.

Stay tuned.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Mile
I'm teaming with a Swift trainer right now.

I'm encouraged to cheat on my logs so we can get 6,000 miles per week.

The trainer spends every waking hour on the cell phone.

We almost crashed because he was on the phone and trying to shift on a left turn at the same time. He missed a gear and we almost flipped.

He uses the qualcomm AND sends text messages while driving.

Stay tuned.
So that is PTDI training? Looking on PTDI sight, Swift has by far the most certified schools.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Board Regular

Good post hobo these are the reasons teaming seems to make sense to me as a newbie, my dui drops off this december so might be applying to CRST, only an 8 month commitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
YoungZ: I must admit that I always thought you were a guy. Your post makes me think otherwise, and therefore, your expectations and experiences driving team may be different than mine.

I am not the ONLY one here who has or does drive team (obviously,) but I seem to be one of the FEW who can deal with it. When I went to CDL school, I hadn't really thought that much about it, although I had read this forum extensively beforehand. I just didn't have a preconceived idea of which I would prefer.

MANY drivers, due to our personalities, are naturally predisposed to driving solo. Being ex-military, I was "used" to sharing small rooms in barracks, and trusting my life to a pilot when I flew "backend."

I see MANY advantages to, at least starting out, driving TEAM.

1) As a newbie, you will come across MANY situations that you don't have the experience to handle. An experienced team memaber, or trainer, will handle it... and you will learn how to do the same.

2) For those who need it, it helps to have a spotter for backing, sliding tandems, etc.

3) Some people actually enjoy having someone to talk with during a weeklong (or longer) time on the road.

4) Most companies dispatch their LONGER runs to teams. You may get more miles with less "sitting on your ," and less delays for multiple drops and pickups.

5) You cannot get "coast to coast" with perishibles like produce, or other JUST IN TIME freight, by driving solo, and especially not if you want to get back HOME every week. The only way to see the country driving solo, is to stay out for weeks at a time. Otherwise... you must "settle" for regional. I don't LIKE the region I live in, so I don't want to WORK here JUST so I can be home weekly.

6) You usually do NOT have to fight the HOS. You can drive 10 and sleep a full 10, and then have a sitdown meal and/or a shower.

7) You have LESS of a possibility of having to physically unload freight, as you often do on the regional/dedicated routes for solos (especially if you want to stay close to home.)

8.) I RARELY have to worry over finding a parking spot for the night. If I'm stopping for an hour to eat and switch, I'll park in a "temporary" place and no one ever bothers me over it.

NOW.... for the disadvantages.....

1) You have to learn to share, and compartment, the available space. Keep your stinky shoes with YOU in the sleeper... and demand that he/she does the same.

2) You might have to get a set of earphones if you want to jam.

3) It is not as easy to just pull over and take a quick nap when you need one, although it can be done in the seat if you keep your pillow in the overhead compartment.

4) You have to learn to sleep while moving. This is impossible for some (apparently.) I have NO problem with it! I am a LIGHT sleeper, and I "DO" wake up whenever my codriver "comes off the road." By that, I mean an offramp! But the same would apply if he hit the growler! It's all good, though, cuz I may need to stop and pee anyway! I "usually" only wake up 2 or 3 times per 10-12 hours, and I go back to sleep easily. I find that the rhythm of the road, even the bouncing, becomes a "sedative" of sorts that helps me sleep. It ALSO, helps to keep my spine in alignment! (further details available, if you want them.)

5) I don't have to sleep next to a noisy reefer in a truckstop. (sorry, that belongs up above!)

6) I have to be willing to trust my life to another driver. Once I've seen that he is as capable as ME, I have little problem with this. I guess I'm just used to being "trusting." My parents drove us kids coast to coast for YEARS when I was young. They NEVER had a wreck. I just don't worry about these things the way some people do.

7) I don't get to shutdown for 12 hours or more everynight and go to the local restaurant/bar for a good meal and a few beers. Somehow, I think this is a "good thing." :wink:

Well.... I guess that's about it for now. If I think of something else, I'll post it. Personally, when I went through school, I found that Covenant had the BEST pay rate for teams coming out of school. CRST is probably okay, though.

I went with a midsize company, and got treated much better! They have a "niche" market, and I think this is the BEST way to get what you want.

I average 5500 miles EVERY week, with 2 days off AT HOME. I can take more time if I want (no forced dispatch.)

I actually HAVE enjoyed the few chances I've had to drive SOLO. Perhaps, when I have my 2 years or more in with ONE company, I may change to that. I just don't think it is the best way for MOST drivers to start out. I had almost NONE of the problems/hangups that I hear from most newbie solo's, and yet, even "I" preferred to start out as a team. Take that for what it's worth. But, "I'M" not part of the "turnover" problem in this industry. And I've never had to ask another company's driver to back my truck into a slot!

I hope this helps. I'll address a few of the other posts here when I get a chance.