User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

sometimes the money is better. Most of our teams, depending on their bid, get right at 3000 miles/week to each driver. Get home around9 am on Sat, and leave out again on Mon. afternoon, plus get paid more per mile at $.54. singles ususallly average 2500 miles/week at $.52/mile. That is for an LTL company, where you go terminal to terminal, you don't do nothing but drop and hook. No grocery receivers to deal with, just nothing but easy $$$$. Our husband/wife teams are knocking down over $160k combined income, and still got the weekends off. The money can be there, but you do spend alot of time in the truck, vs spending it laying over in a motel.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Rookie

The one positive thing is that you have someone who can ground guide you if you get into a tight situation. I've teamed with two guys, and the first was a nightmare, while the second was great. Even as much as I liked my second partner, though, it gets old spending that much time with one person - and, as others have said, it's a pain to get a decent night's sleep.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 PM

8) I did it for a time, with a friend. one day something kept hitting me on the side and back of my head, I turned around and this clown was clipping his toe nails !. another time I was shaken a wake and I here" hey great driving, Driver ", I came out of the sleeper asking whats up, my partner was sweating bullets. Look back there he says. We were pulling doubles on I-80, winter in Wyoming, he hit black ice, went down into the comedian, and worked it back up on to the interstate! yes a very good Driver. But that was it for me. I quit when we got back to Ca. P.S. I got him back for the toe nails, when nature called, I set the tractor break, he went back to squat by the tandems( it was about noon) I waited a few seconds after his pants dropped, eased the break off and pulled away about 50 feet! I thought it was funny! we haven`t talked in 15 years.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
i never teamed and never will
Yeah, teaming is for the birds. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 07-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Board Regular

Being stuck in a small space for 24hrs a day with another person sucks...
My 2nd trainer and I had a lot in common, but by week 3 of 4, I was ready to choke him.
You have very little privacy and you get poor quality of sleep.
CRST must have great recruiters in order to talk people into this arrangement for so little money. :lol:
Old 07-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Board Regular

Drew10- I planned on driving for CRST van expedited and they are a team only company. When I was in school a guy who had graduated from the school a year ago stop in with his truck and he is driving for CRST. He was had with it and said they treated him tremendously well. I know every company has both good and bad.

If I don't go with CRST then I will go with Swift and drive in there Great lakes regional and be home every weekend, but I've heard good and bad with Swift as well.

I have more options than CRST and Swift, but so far it looks like Swift is going to be my best bet. My main concerns are: hometime, benefits, and good equipment, and they expectation of being treated reasonable.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedawg
sometimes the money is better. Most of our teams, depending on their bid, get right at 3000 miles/week to each driver. Get home around9 am on Sat, and leave out again on Mon. afternoon, plus get paid more per mile at $.54. singles ususallly average 2500 miles/week at $.52/mile. That is for an LTL company, where you go terminal to terminal, you don't do nothing but drop and hook. No grocery receivers to deal with, just nothing but easy $$$$. Our husband/wife teams are knocking down over $160k combined income, and still got the weekends off. The money can be there, but you do spend alot of time in the truck, vs spending it laying over in a motel.
Templedawg,

Those are some nice average miles demand and pay/mile. May I ask what company you work for?

Thank You
Old 07-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I planned on driving for CRST van expedited and they are a team only company
Still not sure why you want to team, I would have to assume CRST pay isnt very good, even if they are going to make you habitat with someone else.

Quote:
When I was in school a guy who had graduated from the school a year ago stop in with his truck and he is driving for CRST. He was had with it
"He has had with it" What do you mean?, "He has had it with trucking, teaming,??

Quote:
Templedawg,

Those are some nice average miles demand and pay/mile. May I ask what company you work for?
I agree those a really good numbers for team or solo, exception not the rule....let me guess, Conway or Fedex Custom Critical???
Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 AM

I wouldn't recomend it; Nowadays, i don't feel you'll make anymore than you would solo. Back in the 60's or something maybe, but not now.

I might be doing it soon, but that's only because i need a gig NOW, AND the way my company does it ( i work local part-time now) is that we go from terminal to terminal and we would be returning back to my home terminal everymorning.

So, what i might do is sleep in the yard everymorning and then around 3 or 4pm i might go home and take a shower etc.
The run would be rountrip to boston everynight, so bascially i would just stay up all night and sleep when we get back---when the truck is sitting still.
I would be getting around 2250 miles per week at least at .46cpm plus we get stop pay. So that's the only reason why i'm even considering it.

But don't you do it, son.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Teaming is not for me, I did it during my training period with Stevens and it went OK with the first guy (even though we had major disputes on bathroom habits, he liked to pee into a bottle while he drove). Claimed it saved time, I told him to pull into the next rest area, that we would be stopping anyway 4 miles down the road. I even got his guy to get out of the truck on the last few days of my time with him,...we went into an old airplane museum. He liked it but probably never went stopped again.
Now,...the second guy was a total pig!
He would down a steak and chase it with a bottles of Pepto (the bottles would roll all around the cab), 2 hrs later he would be juicing in his undies, and then he would throw the poo covered underwear in the storage nook on the top bunk, I got him to put them in zip-locks till he could wash them.
Then he would leave his stinking,....and I do mean STINKING shoes up by the jump seat while he was in the sleeper, I got him to use a hat on the seat instead.
We were in Vegas and I went hiking during our weekend off, and when I came back to the truck he had pawned some of my stuff to pay for a hooker, and there was gaaak all over my mattress.
Every time I would go in the back to sleep, he would either hit the rumble strip, slam the brakes, or get us lost. He even got nailed by DOT for log book violations.
Needless to say I was happy to see him go his own way, and I will never team again.

To team you really need to like the person you're with, and be able to tolerate their bad habits,...it's a lot like being married.