User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The company I'm with now doesn't put cb's in their trucks and I'm not about to buy one anytime soon. I prefer to listen to music or talk radio anyways.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Board Regular

I used to run with the radio on all the time. Unfortunately the capacitors took a huge dump on me and I have not had time to get my radio in the shop (where it will be fixed, peaked and tuned). I spent too much money on the POS and may be better off getting a better radio and then having my old one fixed so I have a backup.

If I turn my squelch down I hear all the white noise coming off the electronics in my truck and also any other trucks around me. Can't squelch it out, and the "auto POS squelch" my radio has does not work unless I like to use my CB as a mere display.

As far as the crap that is on the radio. Depends where you are, but I typically don't have problems with decent drivers. Usually it's kids getting on their CB's and causing problems.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I don't speed and I don't care much for the type of talk on the CB. But....I pull a flatbed and lots can go wrong. My tarp came loose in the back once and was covering all the lights. Another driver made me aware of it.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

I'll monitor the radio on low volume/squelch. I'll turn it up during a storm or construction. Its nice to have but I dont need it. Some nights I dont even put it in the truck. But when the 5th graders start their crap I have no problem turning it off immediately.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Nope! CB's have proven themselves worthless mainly BECAUSE of all those "where is dem bears" people.. geez! just shut up and slow down!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Nope! CB's have proven themselves worthless mainly BECAUSE of all those "where is dem bears" people.. geez! just shut up and slow down!
8) Ditto, dittoditto.... 8) That was my echo thingy.... :P

Mine is OFF 99% of the time. I don't care "where the bears are", nor do I care what the coops are doing. I don't speed, I don't play games with my logs....in fact, I right it "right-tight" and just do my job.

Besides....even if there is an accident ahead, the morons spewing hate and discontent are at their most active peak....so there is bloody little chance of you finding much out anyway.

I use mine to talk to security guards and shippers and receivers, when I need to. Thats about it.... 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Well, my radio saved my butt big time today. If I hadn't have heard about it on the CB, I would have run smack into a road closure on the NY Thruway. Luckily I heard about it and rerouted, and when I crossed back over the Thruway on I-84, I saw the northbound side at a dead stop as far as I could see in both directions. I was close enough on my 14 hours to begin with, that closure would have had me shut down on the side of the road. And I don't have a sleeper :wink: Earlier in the day though I had turned the damn thing off. Couple of trash haulers were running down the road having some pointless conversation between themselves about I don't even know what. Sometimes it's fun to eavesdrop, but this one was just mind numbing, and one of them had this droning, drawling, incomprehensible voice that was driving me nuts. Had to turn it off. I just wait a few miles and turn it back on, usually does the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
.....between 7 and 9 and 4 and whenever, I listen to NPR news. (and wish I weren't too cheap to buy a satellite radio, so I could listen to NPR news all the time; I'm an NPR news addict)
LOL, I like your style, man. I'm all about "Morning Edition." I listen to NPR most of the day actually. That and college radio are pretty much all I need.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Board Icon

Ya'll are aware that not everyone runs on channel 19, right?? I run on Channel 2 mainly. I check in on 19 every now and then if traffic is looking rough.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Senior Board Member

I only have mine on when I get to a shipper or receiver that requires it. Other then that, if you need to get a hold of me, your out of luck!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member

I dont think the CB has outlived its usefullness, but the abuse on it has risen to the point that you do need to turn it down or squelch out the "noise". It is hard to determine truth from fiction, on the CB anymore.

Since Ive put satillite radio in my truck (best think ever invented), my CB is still on but down low enought that I can just barely make out conversations, and the satillite radio is on almost 100% of the time.

Receiving "bear reports" and such are a nice thing to have, but certainly NOT manditory to giveout. I or anybody else are not responsible for your speed. If you must speed or run "illegal" and need coop information, it is not my responsiblity to keep you from getting pulled over. I am not opposed to giving the information, but I am not obligated to. Several times Ive heard a driver pizz and moan because he go pulled over, because, "this new breed of drivers", didnt tell him where the bear was. I just heard one today, who had got pulled over. The bear was "following" him and "nobody told me he was back there".
Youve all heard the infamous CB radio come back, "You drive your truck, Ill drive mine". Well, you said it driver, You drive yours and Ill drive mine. We all need to be responsible for our own actions.