LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
Quote:
Ever work there? I had someone claiming to be a trainer there tell me that Werner also stopped specing clutch brakes.. He told me that "to stop the transmission... you have to wiggle the shifter rapidly back and forth.." Rolling Eyes

Excuse me if I happen to find this yet another load of Trucker folklore BS. .. but it is.
I did work there for right at 5 yrs total. That part about the clutch brakes is completely false. I never had a truck that you had to do that in. All my trucks had excellent clutches!
Getting slightly off topic.

While I'm with both of you on the BS on clutch brakes I have to add this one point. Many clutch brakes are broke because the driver did not operate them correctly. Many drivers engage the clutch brake while the truck is still rolling. Best way I know to break the clutch brake.

kc0iv
Old 06-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Guys, this one is so easy. Even the used car dealers here use these kind of things. Don't come in and make your weekly payment, your car will not start once you shut it off. They USE to do it when ever they wanted to but the safety factor of shut-off while you were rolling was too great. It would not be hard to stop ( disable ) the fuel pump the next time your truck is stopped ( not rolling ), and YES LEO can stop trucks so equiped with the touch of a button.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Guys, this one is so easy. Even the used car dealers here use these kind of things. Don't come in and make your weekly payment, your car will not start once you shut it off. They USE to do it when ever they wanted to but the safety factor of shut-off while you were rolling was too great. It would not be hard to stop ( disable ) the fuel pump the next time your truck is stopped ( not rolling ), and YES LEO can stop trucks so equiped with the touch of a button.
the car dealers here use a switch that is in line with the starter, they can activate it from the office so that your starter wont work, but they cant shut the car off, so like you said, you cant start it once you shut it off. seems like it would be easy to put the switch on the fuel pump or the computer if they wanted to and then shut it off any time.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Senior Board Member

From Qualcomm's website.

ORLANDO — March 14, 2006 — QUALCOMM Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leader in providing business-to-business wireless platforms, applications and services, today announced Vehicle Command & Control, a web-based vehicle security and driver management tool will be available this year that will integrate with the M5K onboard vehicle security device from MAGTEC® Products, Inc. QUALCOMM's Vehicle Command & Control allows MAGTEC's M5K to provide driver and vehicle management functionality, including over-the-air vehicle disabling, using QUALCOMM's OmniTRACS mobile communications solution for improved security and theft prevention. Carriers with high-risk or high-value cargos can limit access to authorized drivers only and dispatchers can manage driver authentication codes and truck identifications, change codes over the air and even disable a moving vehicle, if necessary. MAGTEC specializes in vehicle control systems for the transportation and heavy equipment industries. Testing of Vehicle Command & Control for use with MAGTEC's M5K is in process, and commercial release is anticipated for Summer 2006.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
At Star Transport they could adjust the governor through the qualcom. If someone had a high idle percentage they would punish them by turning the truck down to 55 mph for a week. I was in the shop for a PM and a driver came in bitching and quit over it. Star also had a loud buzzer in the truck that the dispatcher could control (when you ignored your qualcom). I would sure think they could disable the truck.
Werner used to have those buzzers in the cab for the Qualcom. It was supposed to be for emergency messages but the dispatchers abused it. They did however, have a switch that you could flip and the buzzer light would come on but not the sound.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
From Qualcomm's website.

ORLANDO — March 14, 2006 — QUALCOMM Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leader in providing business-to-business wireless platforms, applications and services, today announced Vehicle Command & Control, a web-based vehicle security and driver management tool will be available this year that will integrate with the M5K onboard vehicle security device from MAGTEC® Products, Inc. QUALCOMM's Vehicle Command & Control allows MAGTEC's M5K to provide driver and vehicle management functionality, including over-the-air vehicle disabling, using QUALCOMM's OmniTRACS mobile communications solution for improved security and theft prevention. Carriers with high-risk or high-value cargos can limit access to authorized drivers only and dispatchers can manage driver authentication codes and truck identifications, change codes over the air and even disable a moving vehicle, if necessary. MAGTEC specializes in vehicle control systems for the transportation and heavy equipment industries. Testing of Vehicle Command & Control for use with MAGTEC's M5K is in process, and commercial release is anticipated for Summer 2006.
this is something new.. this was called for after 9/11 for the reason's stated earlier about the tankers and hazmat trucks. This would be used when there are people who are not supposed to have the truck,are using it.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

I drove for Sherwin Williams paint company and after 9/11 they were required by homeland security to have the ability to shut down all of their trucks because we were a haz/mat hauler. Never when I was there was a truck shut down, they just are required to have the ability in case of things going to def/con 5.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
From Qualcomm's website.

this is something new.. this was called for after 9/11 for the reason's stated earlier about the tankers and hazmat trucks. This would be used when there are people who are not supposed to have the truck,are using it.

.But they dont need this because the background checks are going to stop all criminal and terrorist acts, just ask George Bush
Old 06-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Rookie

[quote]But they dont need this because the background checks are going to stop all criminal and terrorist acts, just ask George Bush[/quote

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 06-17-2007, 03:04 PM

[quote="mcfd5a10"]
Quote:
But they dont need this because the background checks are going to stop all criminal and terrorist acts, just ask George Bush[/quote

:roll: :roll: :roll:
I agree with you it always comes to this dosen't matter what subject it is