User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Last week a werner driver was telling me that there company is getting in big trouble for shutting down trucks while traveling down the road because the driver is out of hours
I don't know if they have the means to do it or not. I do know that when I drove for them and if my logs book ever went over hrs they never shut the truck down! The qualcom would keep beeping every few seconds till you stopped but it never shut the truck down! Thats just my experience though!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
Quote:
Last week a werner driver was telling me that there company is getting in big trouble for shutting down trucks while traveling down the road because the driver is out of hours
I don't know if they have the means to do it or not. I do know that when I drove for them and if my logs book ever went over hrs they never shut the truck down! The qualcom would keep beeping every few seconds till you stopped but it never shut the truck down! Thats just my experience though!
werner used to have automatic shut downs in their trucks for when you were over hours, they took them out a few years back because of safety issues. remember when you used to see werner trucks parked on off ramps all the time, that's because the driver was out of hours and the truck shut down.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Quote:
werner used to have automatic shut downs in their trucks for when you were over hours, they took them out a few years back because of safety issues. remember when you used to see werner trucks parked on off ramps all the time, that's because the driver was out of hours and the truck shut down.
How do I put this gently..... Bologna! What did they "remove"?
Old 06-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

a representative from werner was on the open road cafe and he stated that werner removed the auto shut down from their trucks due to safety issues, I guess he means they removed the capability, I guess he didnt realize that you take everything so literally
Old 06-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

a representative from werner was on the open road cafe and he stated that werner removed the auto shut down from their trucks due to safety issues, I guess he means they removed the capability, I guess he didnt realize that you take everything so literally
Hey, don't forget it's fozzy. Anything that doesn't fit into his narrow little mind throws a breaker switch which causes him to have to reboot his brain (no mean feat). Just ignore it.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
How many yrs ago did they take them out?? I don't remember those. Probably because I never ran over my hrs.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
How many yrs ago did they take them out?? I don't remember those. Probably because I never ran over my hrs.

he was on earlier this year, I dont think he said when they stopped. he just said they did
Old 06-16-2007, 02:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, don't forget it's fozzy. Anything that doesn't fit into his narrow little mind throws a breaker switch which causes him to have to reboot his brain (no mean feat). Just ignore it.
Ever work there? I had someone claiming to be a trainer there tell me that Werner also stopped specing clutch brakes.. He told me that "to stop the transmission... you have to wiggle the shifter rapidly back and forth.." :roll:

Excuse me if I happen to find this yet another load of Trucker folklore BS. .. but it is.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Ever work there? I had someone claiming to be a trainer there tell me that Werner also stopped specing clutch brakes.. He told me that "to stop the transmission... you have to wiggle the shifter rapidly back and forth.." Rolling Eyes

Excuse me if I happen to find this yet another load of Trucker folklore BS. .. but it is.
I did work there for right at 5 yrs total. That part about the clutch brakes is completely false. I never had a truck that you had to do that in. All my trucks had excellent clutches!
Old 06-16-2007, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member

At Star Transport they could adjust the governor through the qualcom. If someone had a high idle percentage they would punish them by turning the truck down to 55 mph for a week. I was in the shop for a PM and a driver came in bitching and quit over it. Star also had a loud buzzer in the truck that the dispatcher could control (when you ignored your qualcom). I would sure think they could disable the truck.