User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

K-9, call Royal Express out of Fresno,ca. ask to speak to Larry (the recruiter) he is really a straight up guy. I believe you will not have a problem getting hired but you may have to ride 2 wks to a month with a trainer. Their equipment is new, most with, what do they call them;(gen pac units) for cooling and heating. PH.-559-272-3544 When you on your own you can run the I-5 corridor to be home several times a week or the 11 western, either way living in ca. you'll get thru the house quite often. You don't have to run shody equipment, that will only steal your pay check when you get DOT-ed or worse, a wreck, you have options. Maybe forget the big companies for now and get that needed 3-6 months accident free wheel time. ---Good luck. Don't waste time driving straight trucks because tractor trailer companies don't care if you have 10 years driving one, they count absolutely zero for experience when it comes to T/T.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You might pm Floored. She lives near you and runs her own dump. She started with a couple of companies before buying a dump. She may even know of someone who needs a driver.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Rookie

My advise on your situation: STOP driving illegally today for someone who doesn't care enough about his TRUCKS much less his drivers to maintain proper equipment. Sounds like the so called "owner/manager" makes poor decisions then expects you to get the freight there on time.

My friend you are the only one here who will suffer. Remember this: YOU NEVER HAVE TO SPEED TO DELIVER...EVER!! If the load will get there late...no big deal...it gets there late....no one will ever miss it anyway.

Most frieght sits on the warehouse floor for an additional 2-3 days AFTER you deliver it anyway. If the manager threatens to fire you...quit before he/she does..then turn them in to the DOT or CHP.....believe me...their day will come....hopefully you will be long gone!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:08 AM
Rookie
Default Trucking in Tulsa

Big thanks everyone for the kindness.

I'm in Tulsa right now. Just finished Arrow's try-out week. Now I'm waiting for a trainer truck. Gawd ... didn't know flatbeding was so damn dangerous.

Yep. I'm a rookie. Wish me luck. (smile)

Again, many, many thanks and ... God bless.

Quit the crap and just drive.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Glad to see things took a turn for the better for you. Now go out there and become the professional that you know you can be.

Ridge
Old 06-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Rookie
Default Con-way Freight

Check this out...they don't require any experience...start at about $18 an hour, good company

https://www.con-way.com/default.asp?bhcp=1
Old 06-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes, keep your head up. It does get easier. Maybe not tomorow, maybe not next week but it will get better.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: New Driver really struggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9
I've had my CDL one month, and I'm really struggling. I live in the SF Bay Area (which I really hope to move away from one day) and yes, there are a lot of trucking companies. I've been told to hang on until the end of June/mid July when hiring really picks up around here.

Right now I'm running for a guy with some really ill maintained equipment. Plus I have to speed everywhere to make my drops. Coming down that Grapevine without a Jake brake, no tack, no fuel gage ("it's a stick behind the seat ... just stick it in the tanks to figure out how much is left ...") and then the speedometer goes out.

There has to be an easier way to break into trucking than this!

Plus, I've learned that my little seat belt ticket and another complication that arose due to Berkeley's slow, over crowed system is holding me back. I had US Express all lined up ... then it fell through. Gordon doesn't recognize my truck school. Another company liked me ... but turned me down because I went to school for 100 hours instead of 160 hours.

I'm broke and with little to no prospect. Even the guy I was driving for is having financial problems. I'm told this is "trucking." Comments?
Call SPEC and ask for Andrew. He got me a great local gig. After you have a solid year in, there are lots of jobs available that are local and pay real well. His Office number is 510-451-2044. Hope that helps.

Also, keep checking on Craigslist.org under "trasportation".