Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   New Driver really struggling (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/27582-new-driver-really-struggling.html)

K9 06-08-2007 10:26 PM

New Driver really struggling

I've had my CDL one month, and I'm really struggling. I live in the SF Bay Area (which I really hope to move away from one day) and yes, there are a lot of trucking companies. I've been told to hang on until the end of June/mid July when hiring really picks up around here.

Right now I'm running for a guy with some really ill maintained equipment. Plus I have to speed everywhere to make my drops. Coming down that Grapevine without a Jake brake, no tack, no fuel gage ("it's a stick behind the seat ... just stick it in the tanks to figure out how much is left ...") and then the speedometer goes out.

There has to be an easier way to break into trucking than this!

Plus, I've learned that my little seat belt ticket and another complication that arose due to Berkeley's slow, over crowed system is holding me back. I had US Express all lined up ... then it fell through. Gordon doesn't recognize my truck school. Another company liked me ... but turned me down because I went to school for 100 hours instead of 160 hours.

I'm broke and with little to no prospect. Even the guy I was driving for is having financial problems. I'm told this is "trucking." Comments?

BigBird01 06-08-2007 10:52 PM

Hello there, im not real sure what is in your area for trucking companies. But I do know that swift is going to be opening the Willows, Ca terminal back up soon. Swift is not a great job, but I don't have a problem paying my bills. You can talk to them and ask, what would be needed to start with them. You might just have to go out with someone for 2 weeks since you already have your CDL. Alot of people are probably going to bash this since I am saying Swift. But I have been here for 14 months and have not had any problems with them as of yet. And seems better then the situation that you are in now. And im sure that you could get onto something dedicated that could keep you near the house if that is what you want. Well BOL to ya!

Cluggy619 06-09-2007 12:56 AM

Re: New Driver really struggling

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9
I've had my CDL one month, and I'm really struggling. I live in the SF Bay Area (which I really hope to move away from one day) and yes, there are a lot of trucking companies. I've been told to hang on until the end of June/mid July when hiring really picks up around here.

Right now I'm running for a guy with some really ill maintained equipment. Plus I have to speed everywhere to make my drops. Coming down that Grapevine without a Jake brake, no tack, no fuel gage ("it's a stick behind the seat ... just stick it in the tanks to figure out how much is left ...") and then the speedometer goes out.

There has to be an easier way to break into trucking than this!

Plus, I've learned that my little seat belt ticket and another complication that arose due to Berkeley's slow, over crowed system is holding me back. I had US Express all lined up ... then it fell through. Gordon doesn't recognize my truck school. Another company liked me ... but turned me down because I went to school for 100 hours instead of 160 hours.

I'm broke and with little to no prospect. Even the guy I was driving for is having financial problems. I'm told this is "trucking." Comments?

That last statement means you won't be paid. Sooner or later, your gonna get screwed over by him. Leave him now, and just considered the time you worked for him a lost.

As far as the rest, the jobs are out there. Don't give up hope. Once you get a few months with a verifible company, you will find alot of doors will open.

Good luck.

BigWheels 06-09-2007 01:45 AM

K9, right now it's hard for you see a future in the trucking industry.

Let me ask you this: Why did you get into the trucking industry in the first place? In other words, is your heart set on driving a truck no matter what or is this just something to try out for awhile to see if it works out (or not)?

Trucking--especially OTR--isn't for everyone. However, if you have your heart set on driving truck then keep going for it. Something will change for the better. It might take you 2-years--possibly even 5-years to get to where you want to be. But, in the end, it will be totally worth it--if this is what you want.

For now, you may have to stick with Mr. "Ill Maintained Equipment" (as long as you are paid). However, as soon as you can, make your move elsewhere.

Keep track of your weekly mileage as well as how long you've been driving (time + total miles). Hopefully sooner (rather than later), one of the more reputable large carriers will give you a shot (or something even better will develop).

Be patient and don't lose hope!!

All the best! :D

mack fan 06-09-2007 02:43 AM

i had the same problem no one had my driving school on their list. so i called sni back and said if i go to a school on your list can i reapply now i have a job offer with them. but have to go back to school at around $3500-$4000 which i don't have. but don't give up i was about to when i called werner and sni both said the same can't take you because of your school.are there any dump truck or straight truck jobs around i know its not tractor trailers but its still driving a truck untill something better comes

BigWheels 06-09-2007 03:23 AM

Yes, depending on your location, there are dump truck / straight truck positions available. The best thing to do is pick up the biggest newspaper in your neck-of-the-woods and look at the driving positions available. Then start calling....

In addition, start looking at the local companies who drive in the vacinity of where you live. Call them up and see if they are in need of drivers. Better yet, if you can, talk to one of the drivers when they stop somewhere for lunch.

BYW...It really frosts me when I read that you (K9 & mack fan) shelled out $$ for driving school only to find out that various large carriers won't look at you for xyz reason(s). Every driving school should have the same requirements. Period. That way no one will get burned like you two guys experienced. :x :sad:

Mack fan, keep at it. If you really want to drive truck--you will! Just have patience....

ibamars 06-09-2007 05:02 AM

Sorry to hear bout your trouble. I went through a cdl school in 2005. I only took the 100 hour class and was hired by Roehl. Try those guys and see what they say. I got my 14 months OTR and then went local.

myndsplyntur 06-09-2007 07:25 PM

Before you can break into trucking you have to do a few things:

RESEARCH THE COMPANIES. My husband and I have been researching companies for quite some time now, and it has definitely paid off. We've found an awesome company that we want to work for. Most companies I've seen that hire new graduates require at minimum 160 hours of training - but I haven't been looking at mom and pop joints.

RESEARCH THE SCHOOL. imo 100 hours is not enough education for you to work for anyone except people like you are working with. We researched schools for weeks before we found one that was affordable and more than met the requirements. Companies say that the school has to be PTDI - but if you can get a listing of the curriculum to your prospective employer, the employer may hire you anyway. Some schools don't participate in PTDI in order to lower costs.

I think the crummy schools and the crummy companies prey on individuals who haven't done enough research prior to entering the industry... that's my take on things anyway

Good luck with everything!

Trod2001 06-14-2007 11:07 PM

Let a company help

Another thought would be to find a company to pay your way through thier school. They can see your serious. You've all'ready done one, youve got your lic so maybe you can do a shorter version :roll: Some will pay u while u go to there school

Deus 06-17-2007 12:38 AM

Try looking into some local gigs, you're already broke so you can handle the low pay until you get a bid on a good route and then make major cash.

I get paid extremely well in my local/regional job, which I got right out of "truck driving school". "This is trucking" is definatly not right. All our equipment works and we have a safety rating "to die for" according to the DOT. I never get inspected even because our rating is so high the DOT just waves us on through the scales most of the time.