User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud?
yes he could run 10 hours today and then sit there until midnight Monday and roll out and finish the trip and get unloaded in the am on Tuesday then take his 10 hr break and roll out Tuesday night to get to final on wed. me personally I would be there Monday night go to bed and wait for my log book to catch up. I would be well rested Tuesday and match up fuel etc so I could show the 34 hr restart too. but thats me. I bend the rules to fit when i want to drive and feel I can do it the safest. not sitting waiting for hours that some bureaucrats think will make me safe. i.e. not driving all night when my body wants to be asleep.
So what you're saying is, you drive illegal? :?

I don't understand your position. Just as you prefer to sleep at night and drive during the day, feeling this is more safe... somebody out there has decided that for the safety of drivers and the public at large, there needs to be guidelines... Hence the new talk of ENFORCING governors on all CMVs at 62mph.

The justification they're (the feds) using is the number of accidents involving tractor/trailers/CMVs. DOT has statistics to prove truckers are safer than in years past (# of trucks divided by # of accidents), but that is not the general perception of John Q. Public.

BTW, as I stated earlier - he did not have the hours to get their by Mon eve - not even close!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok, I'm not a driver, just a wife LOL. However looks to me like the only way he's making that legally is if he can get close enough by tonight to be able to make it to the receiver by the 8 am drop time Tuesday, after starting out Monday night/Tuesday morning at midnight. Now, without having the exact miles he still has to go to make the drop, I can't tell you that, but I'm sure you see what I mean.
It would put him waiting until Midnight Tuesday night/Wednesday morning to roll to Texas, which depending on his company's speed limit, and what the truck is governed at he may or may not be able to do.
I know for my husband as he's gotten more accustomed to the job, and working his time around (legally) he's been able to adjust better for loads being on time and working around his hours. That said, if your SO can't legally do a load on the hours he has he really should be turning it down which usually even forced dispatch companies will let you do if you're out of hours.
My hubby is pretty dedicated to running legal, however there are certain times where the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law applies. That has been very hard for ME to accept, as I'm a very black and white type of person.
Sorry for the book! I'm hoping this makes sense as I'm somewhat brain frazzled today.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Rookie

i drive flatbed and and can run weeks without resetting also. sounds like he could be logging to much time on duty (line 4) at the shipper or consignee or logging 15 mins. every time he stops to do a load check. if he has to get fuel and is stop for the nite get your fuel and do a p.t.i together in the morning. the company i work for we have to show 15 mins. for p.t.i , fuel, check in at shipper, post trip at nite, which i dont do and havent had no log violations. how long is he logging for straping and tarping it shouldnt take more than an hour. just try to learn and manage your logs.good luck
Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroofer
i drive flatbed and and can run weeks without resetting also. sounds like he could be logging to much time on duty (line 4) at the shipper or consignee or logging 15 mins. every time he stops to do a load check. if he has to get fuel and is stop for the nite get your fuel and do a p.t.i together in the morning. the company i work for we have to show 15 mins. for p.t.i , fuel, check in at shipper, post trip at nite, which i dont do and havent had no log violations. how long is he logging for straping and tarping it shouldnt take more than an hour. just try to learn and manage your logs.good luck
Thanks xroofer - he's definitely in a learning curve right now, which he refers to as "growing pains." As I've said, he's a fairly new driver who has improved in lots of areas... hours of service management will be the final!! 8) 8)

That being said, how many hours are you running per day to keep hours rolling? Does it ever get cut close because of company pressure (have to deliver/drive more miles per day)?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Companies(dispatchers/DMs) always pressure for more miles, more deliveries. They have done it for years, and will continue doing it.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Companies(dispatchers/DMs) always pressure for more miles, more deliveries. They have done it for years, and will continue doing it.
As long as drivers are willing to work the book to git r' done then things will never change in this biz. And judging by many of the responses in this thread, it looks like business as usual out there on the Highpay Highway: log 70, work 80-100+, paid for 50 (maybe). Wow, what a deal! Where do I sign up? :lol: :roll:
Old 03-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Rookie

some days are longer than others. im still new myself (1year) and in the beginning my dsr would run me long and hard and just make deliver by minutes. i was afraid to ask to move deliver time out because i wouldnt make it on time. now ill call and ask when i need to. i just picked up thurs. nite and had to deliver (300 miles away) by 8:45 fri. morn. wasnt going to make it at all. so i called thurs. nite and ask to move time out and they moved it for me. alot of flatbed loads have a window to work with. he cant beafraid to call his dsr and ask for a time change. can i ask what flat company your husband works for.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroofer
some days are longer than others. im still new myself (1year) and in the beginning my dsr would run me long and hard and just make deliver by minutes. i was afraid to ask to move deliver time out because i wouldnt make it on time. now ill call and ask when i need to. i just picked up thurs. nite and had to deliver (300 miles away) by 8:45 fri. morn. wasnt going to make it at all. so i called thurs. nite and ask to move time out and they moved it for me. alot of flatbed loads have a window to work with. he cant beafraid to call his dsr and ask for a time change. can i ask what flat company your husband works for.
On one condition - that a lot of very negative posters don't hop onboard here and hijack this thread! :wink:
He works for Arrow, just started with them and actually likes it a lot. His DM seems cool, doesn't pressure, holler and scream like his last one (w/GTI - a company that's SUPPOSED to have a stellar rep)! We are well aware of negative comments on Arrow, but they are serving his needs for now. I will say that as of now anyway, he's gotten good consistent miles and no pressure- unlike much of what has been said! This load was a little delayed because of issue at the shipper.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:51 AM
Rookie

that fine everyone has to start somewhere. theres always something wrong with every company out there that people dont like. i work for roehl transport and some people talk bad about them. if your husband can get along with his dsr. then things will work out. just remember dont beafraid to ask for more time if he needs it.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:00 AM

Thanks xroofer!! 8)

I will be sure to pass that on. I think he believes he would have to service-fail the load if he asks for more time - it doesn't sound like that's the case with what you're speaking of...?