User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default OTR vs local

Hey guys. I've almost got one year OTR experience. I love driving a truck but I've realized that the OTR lifestyle is not for me. I miss being in my own bed every night, having a social life, hobbies etc.
I have a company wanting to hire me to haul fuel (Dupre). They only require one year of tracotr/trailer experience. It's 5 days on, 2 off, 5 on, 3 off. Pays 50K a year. That sounds like a pretty good starting pay for a local job with one year of experience. Now, here is my predicament...A lot of local companies want 2 years OTR. Others just want two years tractor/trailer experience. What is the difference? I am wondering if it would benefit me in the long run to stay on the road another year and get my 2 years OTR, say if I ever wanted to change local jobs a few years down the road. I am wondering if it would make a difference. I've also had a few comments that I am not a real trucker if I decide to get off the road. Pease help!

Sam
Old 03-05-2007, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Sam.....If you hire on with Dupre, you don't need to just haul fuel. They have a regional Chemical Tanker Division, and a Regional Van Division. With all three operations, they have dedicated work.

http://www.dupretransport.com/
Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Sam.....If you hire on with Dupre, you don't need to just haul fuel. They have a regional Chemical Tanker Division, and a Regional Van Division. With all three operations, they have dedicated work.

http://www.dupretransport.com/
Fuel or chemicals is what I would like to haul
Old 03-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

That's cool. My only point is...Dupre runs enough regional longhaul, that you will get plenty of miles. Some of their fuel hauls out of Beaumont are 270 miles one way. They haul chemical by dry van as well. Totes mostly, but some drums also. Out of baton Rouge and Houston they haul in to the Carolina's, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois. And others.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Board Regular

go local, make more $$$, have a life, and enjoy the time off. Who cares if some yahoo's think you aren't a "real" trucker if you run local. Let the "real" truckers spend hours waiting at a warehouse for a load, while you have put in your days work and are home watching you kid's little league practice when you decide to have a family. The "REAL" truck driver is the one who gets through the day safely to see another sunrise. I don't know much about Dupre, but I have been local for over 10 years, and it sure beats the heck out of waiting in line at a truckstop for a toilet!!!! Check out LTL's to if you are in an area where they have a terminal. Pay is 50k+ also
Old 03-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
That's cool. My only point is...Dupre runs enough regional longhaul, that you will get plenty of miles. Some of their fuel hauls out of Beaumont are 270 miles one way. They haul chemical by dry van as well. Totes mostly, but some drums also. Out of baton Rouge and Houston they haul in to the Carolina's, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois. And others.
If you read my first post you'd see I'm asking information about going local. I'm not interested in regional longhaul. I want to be home every night. The fuel tanker job with dupre would let me do that. I just want to know if it would be worth my while in the long run to get my to years OTR instead of one year.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:21 AM
Board Regular

I don't know where you live but I talked to one of the Dupre guys hauling gas out of the Port Arthur,TX terminal. They are one of the better compnanies to work for hauling fuel as they pay by the hour with overtime, where as alot of the fuel companies pay by the load.

He said they work 12 hour shift with rotating schedule 4 on 2 off, If I remember correctly. He told me what he was making and I remember it was pretty good but I don't remember the exact $$$.

The only drawbacks I see are you will start on the night shift, work alot of weekends at least one day and you work rain or shine, hot or cold. Days off are never the same.

But if being home and making good $$ with a reputable company then these things may be non-issue to you. For me the rotating schedule was an issue b/c my wife is a 911 / Police dispatcher and many weeks we would not have any time together. One reason that I stay OTR is that I can coodinate my days off with hers.

If you have enough experience that they will hire you one year vs two years or more otr is a non-issue......take the job you want if you can get it....................hope this helps.......good luck
Old 03-05-2007, 04:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedawg
go local, make more $$$,
????? It all depends what company you're with-
Old 03-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Rookie

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. I still got a fwe months before I get that one year, who knws what will happen between now and then. So we will wait and see.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Board Regular

I'm quickly coming to the realization (see my other post----- http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=25407) that there are actually three kinds of trucking jobs: OTR, local AND nightime local. And nightime local IS THE WORST.

If you are not used to the hours and/or if you work an irregular schedule at night, you will very probably MESS YOUR HEALTH UP.

I know that there is a lot of irregular and night driving with OTR. But at least with OTR, you can pull over if you get sleepy without too much immediate repercussions and you have a real sleeper. Try sleeping in a daycab.

Those guys(and dolls) hauling doubles at night may be making good dough but are they getting enough sleep?