User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedawg
The "REAL" truck driver is the one who gets through the day safely to see another sunrise.
THANK YOU, Templedawg!!! Very well stated!! :rock:
Old 03-08-2007, 01:56 AM

I'm local and feel I have the best of everything. If you're happy with the hours and the pay then sounds liek you'd be happy to me.

Companies may advertise that they want 2yrs OTR or whatever, but in reality most will pick you up if you have experience and a clean record whether that experience is OTR or local or a little of both. The insurance companies are really the ones who make the call.

Edit to add: As for that "Real Trucker" thing, who cares as long as you're doing what you like. People will always try to come up with a way to make themselves look better than someone else and it's stupid. I run 250 miles a night through cities and open road and as far as I'm concerned I'm a "Trucker"
Old 03-08-2007, 02:16 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Lewis friend"]I'm quickly coming to the realization (see my other post----- http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=25407) that there are actually three kinds of trucking jobs: OTR, local AND nightime local. And nightime local IS THE WORST.

It is a matter of what is right for the individual; I drove at night as often as possible. I made better time, and better miles with far less fuss. Why?? Less traffic, the traffig jams had already cleared up by the time I hit the major cities, there was less stress, and with very few exceptions, the quality of proffessional drivers running at night was much higher. They were safer, more courteous, and I had some very nice conversations with them on the CB, without all of the trash talk that you hear in the day

If you are not used to the hours and/or if you work an irregular schedule at night, you will very probably MESS YOUR HEALTH UP.
quote]

True to some degree; there is an period adjustment required.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

I work for a local fuel transport company for almost a year now. Pay is good, and work is picking up.

I, too, started at nights. It's hard to adjust, and you must get your sleep during the day. I had to board up my bedroom window so no sunlight would show thru. So when I turn out the lights, it was compleatly dark...no light at all. This was the only way I got sleep, and it still took a week to adjust.

Your family must adjust with you....they also need to let you sleep...

I met alot of drivers at the terminals, including drivers of dupre. All seem very happy with their jobs.

If you get hired on, I think you will like it.

Good luck.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 03-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Board Regular

I gotta agree with Folsom Flash...If YOU are happy with the pay and the hours, then so be it, it's your driving career.

I too am a local driver and am happy with the company i drive for. The pay is ok, the owners are very laid back, and I only have to drive maybe five minutes to work Sure i could make more money if i wanted to drive to Sacramento every day, but i'd rather not. 8)

In most areas, with a full year of OTR under your belt you should be able to find a good local job.