User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default C B Radios---Suggesttions please

I'm BAAAAAAAAACK. After 8 weeks training, and bouncing in the back of the chuck wagon...err...tractor, it sure is nice to be home.
Now having that time off I need to get a few items we all need. So my question to all of you is what do I need to know to purchase a decent C B Radio. I've never used one (say for a few choice words to my fellow drivers that is). What are your recommendations in finding one. Thanks for any info....New
Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.
R. W. Emerson
Old 02-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Board Icon

Well, it all depends on how much you want to spend on a radio. I have a Cobra 29 classic. It cost me about $90, if I remember right, but I have some extras in it. To me, Cobra radios are good radios. I hear really good things about Connex radios, and Galaxy radios, but they are pricey.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Rookie

cobra 29-25. uniden 78-68. the 29 and 78 are basicly the same radio as with the 25 and 68. personaly im a galaxy fan. for a basic CB with sideband you just cant beat the 959-949. if you dont want the SSB (sideband) the 929 is a great choice. if you are looking for a radio that is a flat out big dog look at the 95t. mine dead keys 8w and peaks at 150-160 at 100% modulation. the 93t is the yunger brother to the 95t, still a spankin radio. try to stay away from those small radios. thay just dont seem to hold up to the abuse of a truck to very well.

my question to you is what antenna(s) do you plan on using. remember the bast radio in the world wont work worth a poo if you have crappy antennas. your antenna is 90-95% of your system IMO, some say less some say more.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask
Old 02-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Senior Board Member

I use a Cobra 29 LTD Classic and for my money, it's plenty good enough. If you look around a little you can find them at a Pilot or Loves or someplace similar for 65-80 bucks.

I also agree with jeep, the antenna makes a huge difference.

Just do us all one favor, please don't be one of those guys that doesn't know what the Dynamike knob does and turn it all the way up. Man, that is annoying!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Rookie

Connex 3300 HP 300 its a monster radio 350-450 watts and the Predator 10k Antenna is BODACIOUS probaly the best antenna out there just my 2 cents. This setup is going to cost ya but its worth it and you WILL be herd.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Senior Board Member

what do you plan on using a cb radio for ????? if it is to just talk to the shipper and reciever and maybe a smokey report then any cheap radio bought at walmart will work on the stock antennas on the truck... A cobra dx19 for $39.95 will work just fine... If you want to be a gator mouth and live on the radio then yes you will want too spend lots of money...
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Board Regular

Here's a pretty good place to go, and look at radios. www.gijoesradioelectronics.com this is where I ordered my radio from.
The prices are pretty good as well.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:00 AM

Yeah sorry U-Mutt shoulda said what I intended to use it for...after the closinings on I-80, I-71, I-78 and counting this week, I seriously will need it for traffic ans closure info. My antennas are Co. issued and my trainer had a Cobra Classic 29 (I think) I'm willing to go say a Buck Twenty on it....any suggestions on brand and what I'm lookin for?????? thanks fellas.....New
Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.
R. W. Emerson
Old 02-17-2007, 03:01 AM

Thanks Splitter....I'll check it out...thanks for the tip guy.....
R. W. Emerson
Old 02-17-2007, 03:42 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
what do you plan on using a cb radio for ????? if it is to just talk to the shipper and reciever and maybe a smokey report then any cheap radio bought at walmart will work on the stock antennas on the truck... A cobra dx19 for $39.95 will work just fine... If you want to be a gator mouth and live on the radio then yes you will want too spend lots of money...
please please do me a favor tho. dont get your cb and somehow figure that makes you an ordained minister and anyone listening to channel 19 is your clergy. :lol: