User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is walking out of orientation the equivalant of walking out

Is walking out of orientation the equibalant of walking out of a job? Would it get reported on his daq?

He already has enough working against him. I thought he was lucky to get to an orentation.

He has three preventable accidents on his daq already. He only has about 6 months of verifiable (meaning had to log) experience. He had one year local. Six months on unemployment, and a couple of months with a temp service that paid him directly that fired him. Then about three weeks no employment.

I was suprised that he got into orentiation with any company, and we need the money right now. What he is Po'ed about is that they said one thing before he entered, and then tells him something different at the end. They will only recognize 3 months experience instead of the initial 6 he was told. His pay will be reduced from .30 to .28 cent a mile. Now he has to go with a trainer for 2 weeks, which I already said they might decide on that course of action.

He was telling me over the phone that the recruiter said this other company wanted him before he went to the current company's orientation. :roll: I reminded him that the recruiter didn't exactly tell the truth about this company. I basically said the recruiter lied, but he said he wouldn't go that far. I told him that the other company never called you when the recruiter said they would. He said, the recruiter told him that there were things going on in the company. :roll: Give me a break.

Anyhow, I was getting exabrated, and I told him over the phone he was out of options.

I'm thinking if he walks out now, he just s****ed him self royaly, and will not be able to get with another company. I still have not paid all of this month's bills. He doesn't take this job who knows when he will get into another one. If he walks, the company won't pay for him for the bus ride home.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Beggars can't be choosers. With his DAC record, he does not have many options available.

Unfortunately, from what you are telling us, with his attitude he is not likely to last long anywhere he goes. This may not be the proper career choice for him, but unless he's willing to knuckle under, he's not likely to succeed anywhere else, either!!

Not trying to be a jerk here, and I know that you are not to blame, but it seems like some "Tough Love" is in order here!!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:39 PM

I give up. I don't know if he is walking or not. There is nothing I can do about it now except wait. It is like he wants to flush our family down the drain and live on the streets. If he gets out there ticked off, then who knows what will happen.

I'm doomed. Maybe....
Old 01-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Beggars can't be choosers. With his DAC record, he does not have many options available.

Unfortunately, from what you are telling us, with his attitude he is not likely to las long anywhere he goes. This may not be the proper career choice for him, but unless he's willing to knuckle under, he's not likely to succeed anywhere else, either!!

Not trying to be a jerk here, and I know that you are not to blame, but it seems like some "Tough Love" is in order here!!
Should I leave him stranded if he decides to leave? I could easily wipe, ok I'll leave 20.00, out his bank account. I didn't give get a chance to give him that warning though. It somehow seems too mean.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Is walking out of orientation the equivalant of walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfam
If he walks, the company won't pay for him for the bus ride home.
Fine!! They shouldn't!!... But don't you pay for it either!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd TELL him to get his butt back in there and tell them " I'm sorry, I got upset due to a lack of communication"
Old 01-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Senior Board Member

do you wanna stay poor because of this jackass? sounds like he wants everything handed to him and doesn`t wanna work.

I say leave him 25 cents in the bank account and take off
Old 01-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfam
Should I leave him stranded if he decides to leave? I could easily wipe, ok I'll leave 20.00, out his bank account. I didn't give get a chance to give him that warning though. It somehow seems too mean.
Too mean??? No!!! Tough, Yes, Mean, No!!!

Look, he isn't too worried about you and your family taking the fall!!!

If he will let that happen, are you willing to let him bring all of you down in the name of not being "mean"!!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

uh oh...here I go taking the side of the recruiter again. Sorry, but I dont think the recruiter lied to him. I personally have been accused of this so called lie before. I always ask the question, "How much VERIFIABLE driving exp do you have?" They answer and I tell them the pay. Quite often the driver just thinks a driving job is verifiable when its not. This happens sometimes when a driver works for things like a neighbors cousins truck driving company down the road for cash. Sorry, things like that just arent verifiable. When in comes down to the details and a job isnt verifiable and that causes the pay to be less than what the recruiter told you, sorry, that just isnt a lie.

Now, as far as all the other stuff in this thread. Like people have told you before, if he walks out of most likely the only company that will hire him with that absolutely horrible driving record, hes got serious problems. Like useless said, With his attitude hes most likely not going to last long at any job. (holy crap, me and useless agreeing on something...surely thats one of the 7 signs of the Apocalypse)
Old 01-18-2007, 04:52 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

We're all dead now, Sheepdancer. :shock:

As far as the driver, with his apparent record, lack of experience, etc., he can walk from this orientation but it's not likely he'll get another shot at the industry. If he found a company willing to gamble on him, the smart thing would be to suck it up, knuckle down, and get through the tough times. $500 or $600 a week is $500 or $600 more than nothing.