User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Oops, I went back and read it again.

You had asked about an Advanced Driver Trainee.

Doubtful with his record.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Do we really want someone like that on the road with a big truck ??? :shock:
Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 PM

Another Update:

This one's for you Sheepdancer. Ok, the recruiter is starting to pull through here. The recruiter gave the contact information to my husband for this other company. My husband got hold of the contact person.

This company is a smaller company, and the contact person does sevreal jobs. He said he already pulled his MVR and DAC, and is interested in him. He told my husband up front that he will not be able to get home every week. More than likely they will have him out two weeks at a time before he can get home.

He said he was out of the office, and would call him tomorrow. He did ask if my husband had any other questions. My hubby said yes, but will wait to ask them tomorrow.

Sheepdancer, well, here is where we will see how the recruiter actually did informaiton wise. The recruiter said they would see his full experience and start him out with 1 yr and 6 mo pay.

Now the contact is going to call my husband tomorrow, my husband will find out if what the recruiter said is actually lines up with what the company contact tells my husband. I'm thinking what U-turn said, and they may not see his full experience. This is also a smaller company not listed on the company list on this site.

We will see. I do know he wouldn't not have been happy at all with the company he left orientation in. I am gald they gave him a choice though. He does not do well at all when he is miserable. He seems to be liking this other company that is still currently interested in him.

Well, I have been praying that he will get a job with the right company mentally, tempermentally, and spiritually, and with a company he will be happy with. Hopefully the orientation he just went through will have helped him in some way.

Maybe, just maybe if he gets in with this other trucking company, he will be thanking God that he is there knowing it could have been alot worse. Which would mean he would not really be complaining even if he had something to complain about. Or something he normally would complain about he wouldn't be.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfam
Another Update:

Trukfam:

I'm not meaning to "rattle your cage" or pester you here, but someone has to give this to you with the bark on.

We will see. I do know he wouldn't not have been happy at all with the company he left orientation in. I am glad they gave him a choice though. He does not do well at all when he is miserable. He seems to be liking this other company that is still currently interested in him.

You mentioned that the company he walked out of "gave him a choice". You also mentioned that "he does not do well at all when he is miserable".

Now, from what I am gathering, he wasn't too miserable when he left for orientation. Wires got crossed where compensation is concerned which was a bit of a bummer, to be sure; yet, when you do the arithmetic, look at the additional down-time that he has now with NO pay, then what was there for him to be so "miserable" about???

If he chooses to be miserable, (which it seems as though he does!!) then that is his choice; but if you have any hope of maintaining some semblance of your own sanity, then you have to recognize the situation for what it is. If your husband knows, or cares about what is good for him, he'd better start thinking about that now, before he uses up every last option that he has!!

Well, I have been praying that he will get a job with the right company mentally, temperamentally, and spiritually, and with a company he will be happy with. Hopefully the orientation he just went through will have helped him in some way.

The "Right Company, mentally, temperamentally, and Spiritually"??? I think that HE is the one who has the work to do here!! This is called life. There is no "perfect job with a perfect company, with perfect people!!"
(That is, unless of course, you work for my companies, and report directly to me!! ) J/K!!

I'm not a psychologist or a therapist, but you need to find that "inner child" within him, and give him a good, swift kick in the ass!! Your husband is going to have to make his own happiness. It is not up to this new company. or any company to baby-sit his feelings and emotions.

Honestly, you really need to make it clear to him that he is skating on very thin ice; unless, when the ice does break, you and your children are ready to sink with him!!

Maybe, just maybe if he gets in with this other trucking company, he will be thanking God that he is there knowing it could have been alot worse. Which would mean he would not really be complaining even if he had something to complain about. Or something he normally would complain about he wouldn't be.
Trukfam,

You seem like a nice lady who loves her husband, and wants him to be happy. That's all well and fine. But there is a little secret I'm going to tell you; (are you listening carefully??) Hungry, homeless people are not a very happy lot. This notion that he can only hold a job or do well if he's "happy" is very self destructive, and it will rob you of your sanity, and destroy your family as well.

Happines is a decision that he is going to have to make for himself; if he can't handle the bumps in the road, then he will not last long in trucking. Life for a driver just does not always bump easy.

I'm not meaning to give you a rash here, but someone has got to lead this guy to a bathroom mirror, and ask him this question: "Do you see a boy, or do you see a man!!"

I do wish all of you well!!

Peace,
Useless
Old 01-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
(holy crap, me and useless agreeing on something...surely thats one of the 7 signs of the Apocalypse)

So, Sheepdancer and I will enter into a Peace agreement......but it will not be a lasting peace.

Well, as soon as this rain clears out, I can get the barbeque grill stoked up....gotta' get ready for them animal sacrifices that I'm supposed to makin'!!!!!..........Now, if I can just get my hands on some sacrificial Black Angus live stock........Wonder if I can get a Religious Discount on some Sacremental Budwieser????

Hey!!! Anybody out there gotta' Cornerstone they can spare???

Old 01-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Board Regular

Trukfarm.

Remember the two of you both had vows. To love honor and cherish. (of course I pick on my wife and say "obey")

Anyways, the two of you really need to see a marriage counselor. And your husband should really sit down and see why he has the attitude he has.

I am no mean a counselor or pretend to be. But I do believe in todays time with as !@## up as the world is we all have totally lost our values, morals and ethics. It takes more of a man or woman to stand up and realize stuff is screwed up and take responsibility for their actions.

As far as your husband in regards to a job. Its sounds like he thinks everybody owes him something. In all honesty he needs to wake up and realize the world doesn't revolve around HIM. He has to revolve around the world.

That being said if doesn't like what a company has to offer he can make the decision to leave or walk out or whatever. However his choices are limited and he made mistakes and he needs to suck it up. He is not going to get the golden job with his record and his not so consistent past. That does not apply to just trucking but any career. We all start somewhere and its usually the bottom and work our way up.

Just my 2cents. I wish you the best of luck. I can say what I said cause I have done dumb stuff in my past but made a decision to better myself and keep growing and better my family. Took me a few years but I am at a point where I don't stress out about dumb things, bills, job, or whatever.

Good Luck
Old 01-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfam
Update:

He said the company gave him a choice to either go out with a trainer or go home.

He decided to leave.

The company is paying for his bus ticket home. I'm not going to pick him up. He will have to talk to my parents about that. :twisted: :twisted:

I take it, this would not be considered walking out of a job, and would not be put on daq.

The recruiter is backing him up on the decision, since the company told my husband one thing and ended up doing something else. A lady at the company told him before he went to orientation that they would see 6 months, and pay him .30 cpm. At the end of orientation they said only 3 months at .28 cpm and has to go out with the trainer two weeks.

The recruiter (I don't fully trust) is trying to get him in the other company that said was interested in him, and would see all of my husband's experience, including the year of local driving. I'm not holding my breath on that statement though. The recruiter said it was hard to get a hold of the contact for the company. He also gave my husband the contact information. Whether or not that company will still be interested, I'm not sure.

The preventables were one stuck in the mud, one tear up grass, one rub telephone pole with only some rub marks on the tire. If my husband didn't open mouth and insert foot and told him he rubbed it with the front tire, the police would have thought he missed the pole all together. No tickets were given and MVR is clean. In March the last one will be two years old.

I don't know if everything is doom and gloom. I guess it would have been worse if he went with the trainer not likeing the company, and thinking the company lied to him. He would have been more apt to mess up.

It's about time to check me into the loony bin though. :nervous:
First of all I don't think any of those are preventables. Stuck in the mud?! He should haul milk or rocks or a flatbed for a while. He'll be stuck in the mud about every other week. Tearing up some grass?! Huh? Rub a telephone pole? Maybe a preventable, but sounds pretty minor unless he really tore up the truck or knocked the pole over.

Secondly, he sounds like a whining cry-baby. He's going to leave over 2cpm? If he sticks around three months he'll get that extra 2c. He's apparently unwilling to put up with anything or work for a living. You're probably better off with someone else. :roll:
Old 01-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Board Icon

Do recruiters LIE? Or do companies "override" them and make their own deals with NEW drivers to save a few (tens of thousands of) dollars??

This is a business... with very loose rules. OTR doesn't acknowledge ALL local work, LOCAL companies require 2 years of OTR work (why? No idea?) and then change the rules when it suits their needs.

This husband of yours needs to grow up and wise up. To be honest... he sounds like one of those I've said often don't belong in this business.

As for you... it seems that you HAVE been somewhat "tough" on him, and that is GOOD. Others say he "doesn't want to work." I don't know... does he? How good a provider has he been in the past? More importantly, it seems he hasn't dealt much with the realities of life.

Here's a little "ditty" I've heard several times a year from my Dad:

IT IS MUCH EASIER TO FIND A JOB WHEN YOU HAVE ONE!

The reason MANY on here post their opinions and call them "my 2 cents worth" is that THAT is how little 2 cents matters! However, it sounds like his problem was not as much with the 2 cent discrepancy, as with the need to go out with a trainer. I just cannot understand the machismo that compels a "newbie" to object to this!

It is a FACT of life in this business! People need to get OVER it... and get USED to it!

There may, in fact, BE a "driver shortage" in this business. But... so far there is NO shortage of APPLICANTS. And there are only TWO kinds of THEM. Those who GET jobs.... and those who GO HOME!

Best of luck to ALL of you. BTW.... how old is your husband?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Do recruiters LIE? Or do companies "override" them and make their own deals with NEW drivers to save a few (tens of thousands of) dollars??

This is a business... with very loose rules. OTR doesn't acknowledge ALL local work, LOCAL companies require 2 years of OTR work (why? No idea?) and then change the rules when it suits their needs.

This husband of yours needs to grow up and wise up. To be honest... he sounds like one of those I've said often don't belong in this business.

As for you... it seems that you HAVE been somewhat "tough" on him, and that is GOOD. Others say he "doesn't want to work." I don't know... does he? How good a provider has he been in the past? More importantly, it seems he hasn't dealt much with the realities of life.

Here's a little "ditty" I've heard several times a year from my Dad:

IT IS MUCH EASIER TO FIND A JOB WHEN YOU HAVE ONE!

The reason MANY on here post their opinions and call them "my 2 cents worth" is that THAT is how little 2 cents matters! However, it sounds like his problem was not as much with the 2 cent discrepancy, as with the need to go out with a trainer. I just cannot understand the machismo that compels a "newbie" to object to this!

It is a FACT of life in this business! People need to get OVER it... and get USED to it!

There may, in fact, BE a "driver shortage" in this business. But... so far there is NO shortage of APPLICANTS. And there are only TWO kinds of THEM. Those who GET jobs.... and those who GO HOME!

Best of luck to ALL of you. BTW.... how old is your husband?
Well said !!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Board Icon

Thanks! TEST TEST TEST I'm STILL getting "banned" messages!!!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.