User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default "Closed" Scale

[sarcasm=on] So I am tooling across I90 heading east drinking my Fury power drink, talking on my cell phone, playing with my laptop computer, and whatever distractions [/sarcasm] when I noted that the scale at Rocker Mt which is always closed .. is open this day. In addition, 3 of Montana's finest, and two DOT compliance officers are sitting waiting in their respective perches.

I am the third truck of three trucks entering this trap. The first truck passes the scale. I assume because he knew this scale is always closed and was distracted. The patrol car whipped off the median and began pursuit. The next truck exited as did I. But .. for the same reason I assume that he just knew this scale was closed .... turned right toward the Pilot rather than enter the scale that is at the end of the ramp.

A DOT compliance officer in a pick up truck followed the truck into the Pilot parking lot where I assume this driver become aware that the scale is actually open.

I weighed and moved on .. thinking .. I am sure glad I was paying attention. That "always closed" scale .. might just be opened today .. in this case I assume because of the number of officers present .. quite purposefully opened this day.

You all be safe now ...
Old 01-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Board Regular

It's quite frightening to know that there are drivers on the road that are so distracted that they don't even notice that the scale was open.

You tell that story well, I couldn't help but chuckle at "sitting waiting in their respective perches"

Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

When I pulled dry-van, I was running with another truck and he by-passed a scale. $200.00 fine. :shock:
Old 01-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you don't see that the scale is open, stop as quickly as possible, preferably before passing the scale completely. If you stop on the side of the road and go in to the scale and talk to the scale master, you probably won't receive a ticket. However, if you totally pass the scale and don't acknowledge your error, plan on a nice ticket. New York is notorious for opening up in rest areas from time to time. The way they let you know is not always obvious that you need to pull in the rest area if you don't run up there much. There are a few other states who also sometimes open in rest areas. The best thing to do is be alert.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
There are a few other states who also sometimes open in rest areas. The best thing to do is be alert.
Pennsylvania is another one up there that likes to pull the rest area/scale on you when you're least expecting it :wink:
Old 01-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndieselgrl
Pennsylvania is another one up there that likes to pull the rest area/scale on you when you're least expecting it :wink:
I had a local PA run one time and got hit going up to Hershey and coming down because they changed directions on me while I was hooking a new trailer.....bastards.

Nice countryside up there though......
Old 01-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Board Regular

I remember we were in a rest area in PA on I-79 at the 50 I think, I wasn't a driver then, but the old man was. He was sleeping (morning) and I was sitting up in the passenger seat reading and having a smoke, but, the curtains were all closed except for where I was, I just happened to look in the mirror, and I saw a DOT officer circling the truck. He was walking up the pass. side, looking and I ever so slowly closed that curtain. Whew!!! He nailed a Landstar truck a few minutes later with a cracked windshield. While he was getting DOTed I woke up the old man and we got the hell out of there. PA DOT is notorious for being in the rest areas.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Senior Board Member

have never had a problem in PA or NY must be lucky
Old 01-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If you don't see that the scale is open, stop as quickly as possible, preferably before passing the scale completely. If you stop on the side of the road and go in to the scale and talk to the scale master, you probably won't receive a ticket. However, if you totally pass the scale and don't acknowledge your error, plan on a nice ticket. New York is notorious for opening up in rest areas from time to time. The way they let you know is not always obvious that you need to pull in the rest area if you don't run up there much. There are a few other states who also sometimes open in rest areas. The best thing to do is be alert.
I posted this before .. but the fine state of Arizona likes to set up DOT inspections in Rest Areas. I remember by passing the Little America in Flagstaff thinking I can just quickly use the bathroom at the first rest stop at the top of the hill on I-17.

THere setup in the Rest Area are 20 of AZ finest. All the truck parking was dedicated to inspecting trucks. I get the wave off .. so no inspection but I needed to go to the bathroom badly .. no dice .. if I park .. it is going to be a Level 1 .. So I head on down to Sunset Point.

The point being that Rest Stops are so I can take a safety break not so I fear the DOT...
Old 01-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When the DOT set up in rest areas, it makes a lot of drivers continue driving when they should probably shut down and rest.