User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've seen several in VA that like to show up while drivers are pulled off sleeping in a safe and allowable area to do that and block the truck(s) in and give a quick lookover. When the driver awakes to leave, the DOT boys jump'em. Totally unfair, more like entrapment which is illegal in VA. It usually takes place around the Fredericksburg, VA area. I have yet to get an inspection knock on wood, they only wanted my weight.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
When the DOT set up in rest areas, it makes a lot of drivers continue driving when they should probably shut down and rest.
This is definitely the truth Gman!

Mr. Ford, I know what you are talking about - I had a rather nice DOT cop come up and get the truck next to me one night - I've not stopped in a Virginia rest area overnight since. Virginia has a reputation for DOT stopping in the rest areas at night though - I never did understand why. Like Gman said, it just makes more of us bypass a safe place to stop for fear of being hassled by the police, and possibly then driving while fatigued.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Board Icon

Crackaces ALWAYS tells a story well! :wink:

Not being a solo, I never have to "shut down" in a rest area, and to be honest, I wish Y'all wouldn't EITHER. No offense, but when I'm driving out there between towns and T/S's and need to use the facilities, or just take a quick 15-30 min nap, it SURE would be nice to use a REST AREA for what it is INTENDED for. Often times, I can't even GET my truck through the BAD parking some do!

That being said, I totally agree that hassling drivers in rest areas, without PRIOR warning of inspections, SHOULD be illegal! Of course, I've been told alot recently that what "I" believe don't mean squat! :lol:

But, I gotta ask this one..... WHY, on God's green earth, would y'all want to "shut down" in the parking lot of a "closed" scalehouse for the night??? :shock:

If "I" were a DOT officer, Y'all would be EASY PICKIN'S!!! I realize NO ONE said that they DID in THIS post..... but I see it ALL the time! NO WAY I would do that!

On topic, though..... recently I blew by an OPEN scale in NC - that is ALWAYS closed - because I was "training" someone and missed the open sign, which is just over the crest of a hill. I probably could have kept going, but I took the next exit, drove BACK nearly 8 miles to another exit to turn around again! I went BACK by the scale..... and sure enough, NOW it IS closed!! Oh well..... I felt I did the right thing! 8)

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Golfhobo, some scale houses are considered "Safe Haven's." Kentucky has some scale houses that are considered safe havens. I have never been bothered in one so designated. They usually don't hassle you because they know if they do that you will not continue to stop and rest. It is a way that they are hoping to encourage drivers to stop and rest without fear of being hassled.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Golfhobo, some scale houses are considered "Safe Haven's." Kentucky has some scale houses that are considered safe havens. I have never been bothered in one so designated. They usually don't hassle you because they know if they do that you will not continue to stop and rest. It is a way that they are hoping to encourage drivers to stop and rest without fear of being hassled.
Yes, I've SEEN some of those in KY! Kinda "wondered" what they meant. It's a SHAME that a "federal" regulatory agency, that regulates everything WE as drivers do, can't regulate ALL DOT scalehouses in the same way!

I agree that they should do MORE to "encourage" taking our breaks! INCLUDING staying OUT of truck stops and Rest Areas!

As for that post about having the curtains pulled, and seeing an "officer" circling the truck.... maybe TerryLamar or one of the other "gun nuts" on here should just SHOOT one now and then and say they felt "threatened!" :lol: :lol:

Might put a STOP to some of the "hassling!" :shock: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Board Member

I've stayed in many scales. Never had D.O.T. ever give me a hassle. Many of them when you exit you don't even have to cross the scales. I use to use the KY safe haven all the times. Never a parking problem and they have a bathroom and a pop machine. I just wish they had a coffee machine or at least drinking water so I could fill my coffee pot.

Never a problem in rest area either. The only time I saw a cop in a truckstop hassling anyone was a local trying to catch someone using one of the ladys of the night.

Biggest problem I see is there just not enough truckstops and rest areas except out west.

I normally tried to stay in a rest area over using a truckstop. Saved me money and normally easier to get in and out.

kc0iv
Old 01-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Senior Board Member

I passed a scale one time when I first got started. The fix was simple. I turned around at the first exit and got myself back to the scale. As you said gman, usualy they will allow for error but if you pass it up and don't come back, then you are up the creek. I still use the scales that allow you to stop and rest at them when they are closed. It's the ones that baracade themselves off when they close down that piss me off.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
When the DOT set up in rest areas, it makes a lot of drivers continue driving when they should probably shut down and rest.
yeh, another thing I've seen is a bear walking down a line of trucks writeing down truck numbers. I made an anouncement on the CB and 1/2 of us started our trucks up and left. Why do they have to do that? The officer even had a grin on his face while he was doing this. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........................
Old 01-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock
yeh, another thing I've seen is a bear walking down a line of trucks writeing down truck numbers. I made an anouncement on the CB and 1/2 of us started our trucks up and left. Why do they have to do that? The officer even had a grin on his face while he was doing this. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........................
Why would you leave?

Second point I doubt it was a "bear". I've never seem a bear get out for their car and walk anywhere except to the dinner. More likely a local yokel that was hired by the T/S for security.

If I'm parked I could less who writes what.

kc0iv
Old 01-16-2007, 08:05 PM

I use scale houses to sleep at all the time.
All over the country, and have not had one problem yet!
Usually they are the best places to find a place to park, and most all of the DOT guy's tell me they have no problem with it.
As far as missing them, I have done it 4 times, my falut not paying attention, evry time I stoped on the shoulder, took all my paperwork in, and admitted I was not paying attention, only one time did they even look at my paperwork, and then only the scale recepit.
They said ok, it happens, and sent me on my way.
Just dont go in with an attitude.