User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You won't take that much weight off the drives by moving the fifth wheel. You would do better by moving the trailer tandems forward. Always move toward the weight. Each hole on the trailer should be worth around 200-275 pounds.

There are a few states who may allow you to get the weights right before leaving their scale and not give you a ticket, provided you didn't have an opportunity to check the weights before getting to the scale. Most shippers do not have scales on the premises. After driving for a while, you will learn to check the load and see that it is close before closing the doors on the trailer. Most forklift drivers are pretty good at how to properly load a trailer, but you can't count on it. It can be particularly challenging when each pallet is different or you are picking up LTL's from different shippers. Don't worry, you will get the hang of it.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
. Most shippers do not have scales on the premises. After driving for a while, you will learn to check the load and see that it is close before closing the doors on the trailer.
OK may be a stupid question
How do you check the load and see that it is close before closing the doors on the trailer with out a scale? Do you carry a portable scale on your truck? Does the company pay for this or do you? ( a portable scale I mean )
Old 12-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Sounds like if someone was pissed at you they could make you get a ticket every time out of the gate... that's not right.
Let me welcome you to the wonderful world of trucking

Your attitude and location has alot to do with getting a ticket from a portable scale. If you are 400 miles from the shipper, you had better make sure your wallet is thick if you are running over. If you are 2 blocks from the shipper and heading towards a scale AND have a relatively nice attitude, you might skate.

Never expect a fixed location scale to allow you to axle your load. They expect you to be legal when you pull in their gate. And why not, it's not like they set it up overnight.

Many a wise driver here has said that an ounce of sugar will go a very long way. That trooper is a working man/woman just like you. Your job is too not piss of them or the customer or the shipper or the...well the list keeps going. Otherwise, you life will become miserable.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are companies that make a scale which attaches to the air system and can give you the weight of your load. Most companies don't have them on their trucks. Air Weigh is one. You should be able to find them on the web or in some of the trucking magazines.

When I said that you should be able to be close, I meant that if you know how much a load weighs and where the pallets are positioned in the trailer, you should be able to see that the load is correctly loaded for the weight. For instance, If you have a heavy load you may want the fork lift operator to put 2 pallets in the nose, then 1, then 2 the rest of the way back to the end of the trailer. You may also want to put a single pallet in the nose, then 2, then 1 then 2 the rest of the way back. If you don't have that many pallets, then you could, for instance, put four pallets in the nose, 1 in the middle and 4 on the back to balance the load. These are just examples. If you have a very heavy load and all the pallets weigh about the same, if the loader puts 2 pallets all the way from the front to rear, then you will probably be heavy on the drives. The best thing to do is check to see how the load is put on your trailer and then go weigh. You should know how much the load weighs before leaving the dock. After you see how it is loaded and scale it out, you will begin to learn how your trailer should be loaded to make it right. If too much weight is put in the nose of the trailer, it can be difficult to get the weights right.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member

guess I should have stated " pissed at you " differently.
What I meant by that is... I know some people that will JUST LOOK at someone and make a comment like " I don't like him " and they don't even know him. Terrible way to live a life, judging people by the way they look and not the person they are.

Believe me.... if I get pulled over, it's "yes sir, no sir, sorry sir, it won't happen again sir." Ya thats kissing booty, but thats what they want, and if it takes that to get out of a ticket, guess what I'm going to do :wink:
Old 12-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Thank you GMAN
Old 12-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

As indicated...this is a hands on, experiance oriented, variable rich subject, with ongoing learning process.
You do become knowledgeable...but even the sharpest Trucker can not be as accurate as a Cat Scale.

I drive slip seat...which means, I am running with every Combination my Company can give me. When you first start out...(Bosses KNOW this)...you won't know diddle-lee squat...besides your training...which is your Baby step. You will run one Combination...until you can become very familiar with it. They will give you easy loads, and steer you out of trouble...until you get the hang of it. The first time I scaled a load...I had to re-weigh 3 times. I scaled everything, and I moved every axle to see what happens, and what the hell...the scale fee was worth my education.

I still scale every load. Don't be foolish...the scale fee is nothing in comparison to a violation fine. The scale fee is also recompensible....the violation fine is not.

Now I run...all different sizes of Tractor...with 48', 50', and 53' Reefer Tandems, and one 50' Reefer Spred-axle. Occasionally a Dry Van, or a Flatbed. Every Combination has it's variables...from Tractor size, and space from the kingpin to the front axle...to Trailer weights and sizes. All this makes a difference. Amount of fuel you are carrying...size of your fuel tanks. Old Reefer or New? Older ones absorb moisture in the walls and become A LOT heavier.

How many empty pallets you are carrying with your Freight. Man, they add up too. Your freight varies...like oranges for example. Large oranges weigh less than small ones. Sometimes you are only given an estimated weight of your skids...like in the above example.
Your loading docks can direct you to the nearest scale. You are not the first to ask this question. Some scales are just up the road...and not listed in your Truck Stop directory. Use the first scale you can find!

As indicated...your scale houses are a known fact. But don't count on horse-shoeing around one. A Trooper knows a Tip-Toer...and where they like to sneak. He will have a keen eye for squated tires and puffing black smoke.

Finally, like marylandkw said...this is just a business, and you need to act professional...especially with a badge-kisser. Your attitude is no.1.....AND DO NOT lie to these guy's. Honesty and courtesy go far. Believe me...they get lied to day in and day out. They have an inner BS meter...only a highly skilled Masad field operative might beat. :lol:
Old 12-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
I still scale every load. Don't be foolish...the scale fee is nothing in comparison to a violation fine.
Roadhog, did you hear about that guy who got the $17,000 weight ticket? :lol: :lol:
Old 12-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Believe me.... if I get pulled over, it's "yes sir, no sir, sorry sir, it won't happen again sir." Ya thats kissing booty, but thats what they want, and if it takes that to get out of a ticket, guess what I'm going to do :wink:
:lol: Noooooo...just be yourself. Be honest and courteous. The yes Sir is respectful, but you are not in the military...so it's not required... :lol:

Unless you have the tell-tale haircut...and the obvious...SIR...I'M ROTATING BACK TO THE REAL WORLD ..SIR. ....with no eye contact...and every fiber of your body ready to pounce. :shock: :P
__________________________________________________ ____

Trooper D.DooRight...do you know why I pulled you over? :?

Driver .....SIR..YES SIR...I don't have my log books up to date, I'm 1500 lbs. over-weight on my Drives, I've been running 15 mph over all day, and I'm lying like hell SIR, on my cheat sheet. I ran a stop sign, and I have had impure thoughts ...SIR. :shock: :evil:

Trooper D.DooRight....Very well Driver. Slow down, bring your books up to date, get some sleep, and be safe out there. Call your Mother...and Carry-on. 8)

Driver SIR...THANK YOU SIR.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw
Roadhog, did you hear about that guy who got the $17,000 weight ticket? :lol: :lol:
Another one? :?

I guess I didn't hear ...I've been a little
preoccupied. :P