Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Scales and weight (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/23438-scales-weight.html)

merrick4 12-29-2006 03:09 AM

Scales and weight

ok so I get my load yesterday and I knew it was heavy as hell. I was in central Florida and was going to stop up on 95 at the flying J to weight. Well I got pulled into a way station before then. I was on the scale for awhile and then the green light. I figured I must be all right but wanted to weight anyway. well here was my weights:

Steer axle: 11220

Drive axle: 35700

Trailer axle: 29640

So my drive axle was over why did they let me go? Also I've been told that being over a 1000 pounds on an axle is ok in my states is this true?
Further, if they did give me a ticket, isn't valid that I just picked up and was heading to the scales?

And one final question, even if the drive axle was 34000 and still about 5000 more than the trailer axle is this safe? I mean is it ideal to have even weight on both axles?

Thanks for your answers

Uturn2001 12-29-2006 03:47 AM

Quote:

Also I've been told that being over a 1000 pounds on an axle is ok in my states is this true?
Some states, at the discretion of the weighing officer, may not write a ticket for anything less than 1000 lb over axle, assuming you can correct the problem before continuing. There is no garuntee of this at any time.

Quote:

So my drive axle was over why did they let me go?
I do not know about Florida off hand, but it is possible they allow more weight per axle than the standard 12/34/34=80 formula assuming you stay under the gross.

Quote:

And one final question, even if the drive axle was 34000 and still about 5000 more than the trailer axle is this safe? I mean is it ideal to have even weight on both axles?
Yes it is still perfectly safe. The only real advantage to a pefectly equalized out load is in ride quality.

With many states having kingpin settings (max allowable distance between kingpin and center of trailer axle) it is often impossible to balance out many types of loads.

BigBird01 12-29-2006 03:55 AM

Flordia is weird about there weights, they do something with tires and what the tires can handle and so forth. According to the atlas flordia is 22k on steers and 44k on drives tandems but cannot be over the 80k gross. But if your tires cannot handle 44k on them they will write you up. I was told once the formula they use or whatever but it was to complicated for me. I am not normally over so I don't really worry about it. So in flordia you where ok but head north into GA you will get a fine.

I know with where I work I MUST tell them that there is no where for me to scale my load before I go over the state scale. That way if I do get fined it is in the computer that I could not scale my load before entering a state scale. And was told that as long as I do that they will cover the cost, if I would happen to get fined.

marylandkw 12-29-2006 04:56 AM

Re: Scales and weight

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrick4
Further, if they did give me a ticket, isn't valid that I just picked up and was heading to the scales?

Unfortunately, the ticket would be valid. You are responsible to ensure safe and legal operation of your vehicle at all times. I guess we are just supposed to be able to magically guess our axle weights. You might stand a chance of getting your company to pay for it, but don't hold your breath.

jnk2001 12-29-2006 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marylandkw
Quote:

Originally Posted by merrick4

Unfortunately, the ticket would be valid. You are responsible to ensure safe and legal operation of your vehicle at all times. I guess we are just supposed to be able to magically guess our axle weights. You might stand a chance of getting your company to pay for it, but don't hold your breath.

Companies do pay for truckstop(CAT) scales :wink:

marylandkw 12-29-2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnk2001
Companies do pay for truckstop(CAT) scales :wink:

I think he was asking about a ticket from the State Scale if he was on his way to a cat scale. Technically they could pull you on a portable scale as soon as you left the warehouse.

yoopr 12-29-2006 06:08 AM

Also I've been told that being over a 1000 pounds on an axle is ok in my states is this true?

be careful with that and as soon as you pick up your load you're responsible for the weight and the ticket is valid. Scale your load asap.

allan5oh 12-29-2006 06:27 AM

I've heard in california you pay $1 for every pound over.

Might I suggest moving your fifth wheel up. This will put more weight on the steer axles, taking weight off the drives. Your fuel mileage will increase as well.

I have the exact opposite problem, I have to keep my fifth wheel further back(steer will be ~300 lbs over at gross).

Roadhog 12-29-2006 06:56 AM

I've heard that it's possible you might get cut some slack on any axles BUT Drive axles.

I say that with a cringe....I wouldn't expect any slack period.

I check the BOL for skid weights, and plan my load spacing. After I'm loaded...I set my axles to what I'm comfortable with. That you get from experiance learning your loads.

When I leave the loading dock...I know I'm pretty close, and my next big concern is my route and where the first scale house is. I will go to the first TS where I can balance my load...ASAP. One reason is...with Reefer loads...they tend to be pushing every loadable ounce....and if I am overloaded...I do not want to point into the wind. There have been several times I've had to go back to the yard and adjust the load...or remove some product.

As mentioned...everything out there falls on your shoulders. If you have a problem...you have to speak up...not just hope for the best.

glasman2 12-29-2006 10:47 AM

So your saying that most places that load these trailers don't have weigh scales? You could get pulled over coming out the gates? Your suppose to be able to magically look at your load and know the weight is right. Plus your responsible for any ticket even if you were on your way to check your weight. Sounds like if someone was pissed at you they could make you get a ticked every time out of the gate... that's not right...

By pulling the 5th wheel up closer to the cab that should make the weight transfer more weight over both front axles and trailer axles right?

I like topics like this, more to learn before I go to school.