User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Florida driver w/ a so so DAC wants to work.

I just need a chance to show I am a safe driver. Prime blackballed me big time. I made a mistake this past November. I avoided hitting a dear (coming from the median) and lost it just off the shoulder, causing me to
roll over the trk and tlr. It has been over a month and a half and i can not find a job in this industry. I have almost 4 years of exp., my MVR is clean, but I can not put it to use. If anyone knows of, or can direct me to an employer that don't judge you just by your DAC. I'd eally appreciate it.[/b]
Old 12-20-2006, 06:23 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Hate to say it, but Prime did not black ball you; they are reporting you as having a DOT Recordable preventable accident, which is correct. So that leaves you pretty much out of luck. Few companies will hire someone with a rollover.

Next time, hit the deer. Deer hits are non-preventable accidents, whether you are in a truck or car. No loss of job, no sky-rocketing insurance, no chance of death or dismemberment due to rolling your vehicle and possibly getting ejected.

In addition, look at it this way. You hit the deer, the deer dies...1 less deer in the world is a good thing. The proof is also lying on the pavement in front of you and even if you completely total your vehicle, your assets are covered. However, if you swerve to miss a deer...true or not, most police officers and companies are shaking their heads while you explain, saying "sure, sure." Most people just won't buy the story anymore. Not saying your story is false...just explaining to you that few companies will believe it.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Job

Have you contacted any of the companies/owners who pull the cut trees to the pulp mills. May not be top of the line, but it could help you "get well". BOL
Old 12-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Board Regular

Exactly (or almost) what I was thinking Twilight (hit the deer). Now I just need to train my mind to take that action if/when it happens. For the untrained driver the natural instinct/reflex is to swerve to miss. Like you said Twilight, that can buy you a rollover and loss of career. I must see 15 if not 50 (at times) deer licking the salt just off the shoulder at night on I-95 near mile markers 138-150 in Maine (just before getting into Pittsfield Maine)--especially in the Winter. I exit near marker 150, so I keep an eagle eye on the front and passenger side windows waiting for one of these bambis' to take that fatal leap.

I remember during training (watching a video) that it was actually better to speed up just before impact, so you would lower your nose of your hood (especially in a CAR) and lessen the chances of the Horns/Body crashing through your wind screen.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad_
Exactly (or almost) what I was thinking Twilight (hit the deer). Now I just need to train my mind to take that action if/when it happens. For the untrained driver the natural instinct/reflex is to swerve to miss. Like you said Twilight, that can buy you a rollover and loss of career. I must see 15 if not 50 (at times) deer licking the salt just off the shoulder at night on I-95 near mile markers 138-150 in Maine (just before getting into Pittsfield Maine)--especially in the Winter. I exit near marker 150, so I keep an eagle eye on the front and passenger side windows waiting for one of these bambis' to take that fatal leap.

I remember during training (watching a video) that it was actually better to speed up just before impact, so you would lower your nose of your hood (especially in a CAR) and lessen the chances of the Horns/Body crashing through your wind screen.
Speeding up would raise the front of the vehicle, not lower it, don't know if it would really make a difference. Just my opinion.

Even for an experienced driver, swerving might still be the first response. Swerving to the point of going off the road is a little extreme. I have encountered many deer in the last 30 yrs, and hit quite a few. If you can move to the next lane to avoid hitting it, then do so. Most times this is not possible. Like the rest said, just hit the deer next time. Always keep control of your truck. Now if this was a person, which it wasn't, I would do what ever it took to avoid killing someone. I know it was off topic but thought I would throw it in for conversation purposes...lol Tough break for you, keep trying, something may pop up for you.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:52 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

I hit one about a month ago and totalled my car. Straight on, slammed on the brakes, but I wasn't turning for nothing. Almost hit another Sunday night. :roll: I'm going to mount high-speed Vulcan guns on my car so I can turn them into hamburger before they total my car. I hate the damn things.

Bottom line, though, hit the deer, or the dog, or the cat, or God forbid, the suicider wanting to die by truck. If you can brake or slow, great. If you can safely get into another lane, great. But these hits happen in split seconds and rarely do you have time to adjust safely, meaning that those attempted adjustments usually turn into rollovers or tragedy.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:02 PM

hitting the deer would have been a lot cheaper to fix than rolling the truck and trailer.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Board Regular

SSoutlaw Said:

Speeding up would raise the front of the vehicle, not lower it, don't know if it would really make a difference. Just my opinion.

Hmm, Maybe I got the cause and affect wrong, but the suggestion was to speed up.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad_
SSoutlaw Said:

Hmm, Maybe I got the cause and affect wrong, but the suggestion was to speed up.
Hey Nomad, I really like your tag line.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Senior Board Member

goood news, go drive for trans am...... my old trainer at FFE had a trainee roll the truck with him in the sleeper and FFE said "yer Fired" the traiinee went to drive over at trans am so give them a call.. I saw the truck aat thhe FFE yard aand it was totally wrecked insiide and out.... so good luck