User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

In the 70's and 80's I have known many in the military pop positive for Poppy seed rolls. The do a verification test and usually you are good to go but during the draw down in forces it was a convenient reason for a discharge. So unless there has been a new and improved Urine test that can detect the difference from a seed on a roll or the drugs that poppies make, the answer is YES.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakmare
Arnt urine tests sort of being phased out these days? -Drak
As of a couple years ago DOT would not accept anything but urine testing. The person a talked to admitted there was better ways but said they had not been approved. That being said I know BNSF (railroad) uses hair testing. So who knows for sure.

I know when I couldn't give a sample they refused to take a blood sample even when I ask for one. Hospital said DOT wouldn't accept the results.

kc0iv
DOT still only allows urine tests. However many companys are doing both a hair test and urine test. Im sure its only a short time away before DOT will start accepting hair tests as well as urine tests.
I dont think urine tests will ever go completely away. Although they are much more reliable and accurate. There is one problem with them though. Hair tests wont detect very recent drug use. It takes 5 or 6 days for drugs to show up in hair. So what you are going to see is a combination of both a hair and urine test. Like what many companies are doing now.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by century451
In the 70's and 80's I have known many in the military pop positive for Poppy seed rolls. The do a verification test and usually you are good to go but during the draw down in forces it was a convenient reason for a discharge. So unless there has been a new and improved Urine test that can detect the difference from a seed on a roll or the drugs that poppies make, the answer is YES.
This has been covered before .. do a search and you will find a link to how the positive threshold has been changed from a concentration of opiate derivatives of 20 mcg / dl to 3000 mcg/dl. You would have to consume 30 poppy seed bagels to come up positive.

As for pot .. the military during the Regan era set up a threshold of 5 nanograms of THC / dl using a flame spectrometer. That is where the thought of second hand smoke might cause a false positive. This was in fact hooey ... These test are extremely expensive so the DOT only requires a urine precipitation test .. the THC will react with a reagent and show the use of a single joint within hours of use and as long as three days later. Multiple joints and further use will cause THC to store itself in your fat cells and release over time. Thus the stories of positives 30 days after use.

Psudeophed and over the counter drugs in that family used to come up positive for Amphetamines, but now the test looks for a particular Alpha complex that is seen with Amphetamines and not with decongestants. BTW) making Meth is all about removing the Beta radical and hanging an Alpha radical .. so the urine test targets that complex.

Nope no false positives anymore for the common recreational drugs. There are some false positives for steroid use in urine when testing for certain derivatives .. that is an entirely different story.

So if you come up positive -- you are doing a recreational drug and should find a different profession.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 PM

We have done our own testing on this. Poppy seed turned up positive for heroin and morphine in our testing.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USXRecruiter4080
We have done our own testing on this. Poppy seed turned up positive for heroin and morphine in our testing.
Are you doing presence testing or actually testing the mcg / dl of the particulates?

The DOT Medical examiner will evaluate the positive result from a mcg / dl report ... and set the threshold at 3000 mcg / dl.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Default Drug Tests

Yeah, it's crazy. I've read that 'coke' will never show up if your tested 2 or 3 days after use and THC can stay in your fat cells for up 60 days if your real big. And the real bummer is the guy sending you out for the test, probably 2 or 3 martinis for breakfast!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by USXRecruiter4080
Are you doing presence testing or actually testing the mcg / dl of the particulates?

The DOT Medical examiner will evaluate the positive result from a mcg / dl report ... and set the threshold at 3000 mcg / dl.
I have clue how the testing was done. Lol, I just got the memo to warn drivers before orientation not to eat certain things. Any type of bread is one of them due to blood sugar problems and what not.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

hehehehehe wow the poppy seed myth, its been known for years as a hoax, hehehehehe ask anyone doing drug tests for a living and they will make it worse just to scare you, hehehehehe thats like saying eating pot seeds you will get high, pot seeds contain no THC, THC is made when the plant blooms and its not in the seeds, same for poppies, its not in the seeds... hehehehehehe just surf the internet and find the answers hehehehehehehe boy this place is good for laughs....
Old 12-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Senior Board Member

:shock: i am in trouble now. i haven't cut my hair in over 20 years, you could distill the old hairs and sell it for big buck$.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
hehehehehe wow the poppy seed myth, its been known for years as a hoax, hehehehehe ask anyone doing drug tests for a living and they will make it worse just to scare you, hehehehehe thats like saying eating pot seeds you will get high, pot seeds contain no THC, THC is made when the plant blooms and its not in the seeds, same for poppies, its not in the seeds... hehehehehehe just surf the internet and find the answers hehehehehehehe boy this place is good for laughs....
It is so in the seeds, just in very low concentration. I stay away from em out of paranoia. I realize most testing you don't have a problem with these days but I don't like poppyseed bakery items (although poppyseed dressing is pretty darn good) enough to risk my job.