User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollOver

Hell with it, if everyone else can be an asshole, I can to.
Now..isn't that just such a grown up adult approach :roll: That approach is what could very well lead us into WW III with nukes.....

On the topic, it occurs to me that a pet deposit is easier to prove than a smoking deposit would be. Meaning, a pet is a tangible, fur covered (usually LOL) creature, fairly easily caught in/on the truck/property. Smoking is a little more subtle, and people could always claim that it was the person before them, etc. Just my thoughts.

It could also very well penalize the polite smokers, who choose to take it outdoors.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:26 PM

Haha yea. This place is just overflowing with mature conduct.

Ohhh Yea! You can almost smell the sarcasm.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollOver
Haha yea. This place is just overflowing with mature conduct.

Ohhh Yea! You can almost smell the sarcasm.
Lets hope its not a fart or a smoke smell. Cause as you know a fart will give you aids.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:54 AM
Board Regular

"In short -keep yours stinkin ass burnt smell away from me, my home, my cars, and anyone else who doesn't want it around them. Damn right it's a movement and it's about time. Don't waste your time showing me stats on how smoking isn't to blame."

So, how long do you hold your breath when going thru LA? :lol: :lol:
Old 12-18-2006, 04:17 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckersBish

Name: Karl Marx
Birth: May 5, 1818 (Trier, Germany)
Death: March 14, 1883 (London, England)
School/tradition: Marxism
Main interests: Politics, Economics, class struggle
Notable ideas: Co-founder of Marxism (with Engels), alienation and exploitation of the worker, The Communist Manifesto, Das Kapital, historical materialism
Influences: Kant, Hegel, Feuerbach, Stirner, Smith, Ricardo, Rousseau, Goethe, Fourier
Influenced: Luxemburg, Lenin, Trotsky, Mao, Guevera, Sartre, Debord, Frankfurt School.

"Marx believed that the downfall of capitalism was inevitable, and that it would be replaced by communism"

Now I do not believe in communism....I do believe on living a healthy life free of smoking....tell me how that makes me a communist? Now justruckin please tell the immature jr high to go play on the freeway so the adult can come out. Your childish snide remarks do not insult me at all, they do however make you look like an ass.

Childish and snide remarks, I'll give you that.

But for the rest of it, what is next? Sure, I hate smoke, but that is not the point. If you are to be consistent, we should ban tobacco outright.

Instead, there is a vote taken to deny private property owners their rights. That is communism in my book. Call it what you want. Hell, call it democracy.

If I remember correctly, we live in a Representative Republic, or did I miss something in school? It is called "Limited Government", what a unique concept.

So what is next? Trans fat, oops, done that already! Cheese burgers, suv's? Or how about big trucks? Hell, the wonderful EPA has already jacked fuel to unforeseen prices, while not even allowing us to drill for the TRILLIONS of barrels of oil in our own land, or much less build a new refinery.

And you can't tell me any different, been to Alaska, worked on the pipeline. We have more untapped, RENEWABLE resources in our land then Saudi Arabia has grains of sand.

Keep pushing, you will get your utopia soon. But a two day wait in line to get a roll toilet paper is not my idea of a good time. Sure, it is a bit of a stretch, but I am only following your logic. The voter always knows what is best, no? So what's next, outlaw factories to save us from Global Warming? I guess we could take a vote? And I bet it would come pretty darn close to passing! Just following your logic.

And just wait until you get your "National Health Care", I have worked in that field too.

Take it for what it is worth. Just remember, I don't know nothing. :wink:
Old 12-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin
Childish and snide remarks, I'll give you that.

But for the rest of it, what is next? Sure, I hate smoke, but that is not the point. If you are to be consistent, we should ban tobacco outright.

Instead, there is a vote taken to deny private property owners their rights. That is communism in my book. Call it what you want. Hell, call it democracy.

If I remember correctly, we live in a Representative Republic, or did I miss something in school? It is called "Limited Government", what a unique concept.

So what is next? Trans fat, oops, done that already! Cheese burgers, suv's? Or how about big trucks? Hell, the wonderful EPA has already jacked fuel to unforeseen prices, while not even allowing us to drill for the TRILLIONS of barrels of oil in our own land, or much less build a new refinery.

And you can't tell me any different, been to Alaska, worked on the pipeline. We have more untapped, RENEWABLE resources in our land then Saudi Arabia has grains of sand.

Keep pushing, you will get your utopia soon. But a two day wait in line to get a roll toilet paper is not my idea of a good time. Sure, it is a bit of a stretch, but I am only following your logic. The voter always knows what is best, no? So what's next, outlaw factories to save us from Global Warming? I guess we could take a vote? And I bet it would come pretty darn close to passing! Just following your logic.

And just wait until you get your "National Health Care", I have worked in that field too.

Take it for what it is worth. Just remember, I don't know nothing. :wink:
I highlighted the point of contention here...

Private property in such instance as a residence, for example. What you do in your own house is your business. Want to smoke? Go ahead.

However, something such as a restaurant, which is still privately owned, yet is accessible to the public, is not the same as a residence. The general public enters the establishment at will. Granted, someone who does not want to be around second-hand smoke can always choose not to enter said establishment. On the other hand, the owner of the business can also dictate what can and cannot be done while on the property.

You have a right to smoke, those of us who do not also have a right to enjoy a meal or other activity without your habits. Aside from that, most businesses, such as restaurants, usually have increased business after a smoking ban takes effect. Usually because people who avoided the establishment due to smoking are now returning because they know they don't have to deal with it.

Would you mind if you were eating at a table next to me and I got out of my chair and took a dump on the floor next to me? Hey, I do it all the time at home so if you don't like it, you can leave.
Follows the same thought process, doesn't it?

Don't like governments telling businesses what to do? Guess we should get rid of health code standards...who cares if that steak you just ordered had 15 roaches running around on it after it was picked up off the floor because some guy was too busy picking his nose when he pulled it off the grill and dropped it. And the knife you're going to use to cut it? Hasn't been washed in 3 days.
The smokers ideology here would have this to say "Well if you know that knife hasn't been washed, you have the right to bring your own knife."

Now, don't get me wrong, too much government can be a bad thing in cases like "banning" certain cooking oils due to the health risk. You can go to McDonald's and make a choice if you want a Big Mac or a salad. Everything in moderation.

Overall, in 98% of the cases where a smoking ban has been made law by a city council, businesses enjoy more revenue from more patrons because they can do so without feeling like they're sucking on the exhaust pipe of a car.

And for the record, both grandparents on my mothers side and my grandmother on my dads side all died of lung cancer before the age of 70. They were all on oxygen for the last 3 - 5 years of their life and all were hospitalized numerous times in the last 2 years due to respiratory problems. My mother is 47 and has smoked for the last 30 years or so and has emphysema which has also caused her to develop asthma as well.

Now guess why I have the anti-smoking stance that I do. :wink:
Old 12-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Rookie

Well, I'll be damned.... my thread got hijacked. It's not about weather smoking is bad for you or not, or even about second hand smoke. It's about how I don't think it makes sence to make people pay a pet deposit, but no smoker deposit.

So, the only common sense solutions are either:

a) make smokers pay a deposit and for the extra cleaning when returing the truck.

b) delete the pet deposit

c) require that the driver returns the truck in clean condition and repair all damages, with regards to normal wear and tear.

On another note, these smokers defending smoking, they will be the first one's to blame big tobacco when they catch cancer. To argue that smoking isn't bad for your health, is beyond ignorat, but in fact stupid. The statistics out there showing the illnesses of smokers and those around them are far higher, not a couple or few percentile, but way beyond a reasonable doubt. However, it's freedom of choice in this country, so as long as they are not bothering others, then go have at it. Social Security needs the break because they won't be able to pay for everyone anyways. I also belive in doctor assisted suicide. It's your life.... just don't f'k up mine.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:39 AM
Board Regular

"Private property in such instance as a residence, for example. What you do in your own house is your business. Want to smoke? Go ahead."

I'll bite at that. Did you read the bill? I did, and it isn't even fully written yet. The Governor himself said, "We will still allow smoking in private residences." What the hell does he mean by that?

Answer that for me, then we will talk.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:42 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason607
Well, I'll be damned.... my thread got hijacked. It's not about weather smoking is bad for you or not, or even about second hand smoke. It's about how I don't think it makes sence to make people pay a pet deposit, but no smoker deposit.

So, the only common sense solutions are either:

a) make smokers pay a deposit and for the extra cleaning when returing the truck.

b) delete the pet deposit

c) require that the driver returns the truck in clean condition and repair all damages, with regards to normal wear and tear.

On another note, these smokers defending smoking, they will be the first one's to blame big tobacco when they catch cancer. To argue that smoking isn't bad for your health, is beyond ignorat, but in fact stupid. The statistics out there showing the illnesses of smokers and those around them are far higher, not a couple or few percentile, but way beyond a reasonable doubt. However, it's freedom of choice in this country, so as long as they are not bothering others, then go have at it. Social Security needs the break because they won't be able to pay for everyone anyways. I also belive in doctor assisted suicide. It's your life.... just don't f'k up mine.
Jason,

Keep drinking the Kool Aid, because you don't get it. :wink:

And I want abortion to be legal till the age of 18, let's have a vote! :shock:
Old 12-18-2006, 05:58 AM
Board Regular

"Would you mind if you were eating at a table next to me and I got out of my chair and took a dump on the floor next to me?"

I do not know what to say?

Your logic is twisted. :shock:

What little you have.

Another "Big Truck Marxist".

There are allot of you out here, I know, as I have employed a few of you. Thank God I am out of that racket, employment.

You guys will get your wish one day, but you are not going to be happy. First they took away the.... and no one said a thing.... And then they....

You will have it, it is coming, good luck to you and yours.

And just remember this, you have never gotten a job from a poor man, no matter what your education is. Think about it, because that is exactly what you are promoting.