User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another Newbie Looking For Advice!

Hello all,
First off, thanks for these boards; I've been reading them all week and they've helped me to formulate a plan for my eventual career transition.

I have worked in the entertainment industry (mostly theater and lately at CBS) for almost twenty years as a scenic carpenter. The work is fun for the most part, the pay is excellent, but the hours are not always there. Case in point, I got laid off the day before Thanksgiving and will probably not be hired back until after the new year. Not the shop staff's fault; it's just what happens there every year.

So I figured with this time off, it would be a good time to start looking into getting my A license. I currently have a B license which is clean. I had to file for unemployment (not happy about that but the bills gotta be paid) and then I found out about the WIA program.

Based on what I've read here about the companies that offer the paid training, I'm leaning towards going to the Sage School in Rome, NY. I am not too keen on the idea of committing to a company for a year that might end up screwing me (intentionally or not) on what my potential earnings could be. I figured that by going to a school that's accredited by the PDTI (and Sage seems to have a pretty good rep from what I've been reading here), I'm in a better position to find the job with the company I'm suited for.

I'm going to go to the DOL office where I live on Monday and see if I can qualify for the WIA program; worst case, I'm considering cashing in my IRA and using that to pay the tuition. I'm pretty sure you can avoid the tax penalties if you're using the money for educational purposes but I have to find out the specifics.

Okay, last thing! I had a DUI charge four years and nine months ago; I have straightened my act out since then and haven't had a drink in over four years (yay). I know that most companies have a five year window for this, so I am hoping that being right AT the five year mark around the time I would hopefully finish school won't put me out of the running.

Any thoughts, advice on my plan here or other helpful ideas are welcome! Again, thanks for these boards; there are a lot of myths about trucking out here among us non-truckers, and these boards have given me a much clearer picture of the industry, both good and bad.

Thanks,
MJ
Old 12-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Rookie

I'm just learning here too, but I can tell you what I know.

A lot of folks think that driving sounds great, but it really fits very few people. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

I qualified for WIA, but just barely. You have to be nearly destitute to qualify, but it's worth a shot. Head down to your DOL and check on it.

I think you're right about the five year mark being the magic number, but only for some companies. I think it's best to research that very closely. A lot of these companies have websites with that info, or call their recruiting.

The best way to do this is to make sure the kind of driving you want to do (there's a h*ll of a lot more than OTR jobs out there), pick the company you want to work for and find out their requirements (MVR, DUI, accepted schools). If you don't for some reason qualify, move to the next company on your list.

I'm exited to get going, myself. I know it will suit my personality, and I can handle the negatives. A lot of it is a good attitude.

I'm most likely going to a PDTI certified course that's a little rushed, but will get me out there quicker where the real learning begins. The company I want to go with has very adequate training for school graduates. Otherwise I might attend the Community College course which prepares you a bit better (and is actually half the cost).

Good luck to ya'.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:02 AM
Board Regular

As far as the DUI, my insurance company only goes back 3 years. It may be different in NY.

But, don't plan or even think of going to Canada, you more then likely will not get in, or eventually get caught. This will likely get you fired. Just be honest with your employer and tell them about the DUI, it will save you many headaches down the road. And I doubt that most employers will hold it against you if you are up front about it and have a clean record and stable work history.

And pay for your own schooling, you don't want that hanging over your head, as you already stated.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the input so far, you guys.

I don't plan on lying about the DUI; it's not something I'm proud of (obviously), but I'm not going to misrepresent myself either. It's five years back for insurance here in NY for a personal vehicle but I presume that trucking companies will do a nationwide search. Even though my conviction hasn't shown up on the background check I did on myself through Choicepoint, I don't want to lie about it and I'm not going to.

I have heard of the Canada restriction before...the first time I heard of it was when Bush #2 made a visit there after he was elected to office the first time. His DUI conviction from years earlier didn't prevent him from crossing the border but I guess the rest of us just aren't properly rehabilitated in their eyes, LOL.....

I'm going to go with applying to Sage instead of company paid training. I've been lurking the boards over at the pumpkin site and it gave me a lot of cause to reconsider that as an option. Not to say there aren't a lot of people who are happy there, because there are. But I understand the turnover rate is extremely high and there is a lot of suggestion that they expect people not to fulfill their one year commitment (knowing that these people are still on the hook for the tuition.) Doesn't make me feel too trusting of their intentions, you know? I might be wrong and it might be something that would actually work for me, but I don't want to take the chance that it won't and ruin myself financially.

But the main thing that turned me off to them is a link to a Congressional report that details a report submitted by an SNI exec named Lofgren. He testified that they needed immigration visas extended in order to import drivers because of the shortage of people legally able to drive for them. Sounds fishy to me and not like they are looking out for the drivers they already have. Just my take on it.

Thanks again,
MJ
Old 12-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Board Regular

The good old illegals. I hate these companies that hire these people.

And yes, if the trucking companies paid a true living wage to the rookies, I don't think that they would even have to consider hiring illegals. But then they would have to force a price hike in shipping rates. Nope, we can't do that!

But, owning my own company, and having hired drivers, and paying them well. Along with all of the insanely high Workmans Comp, Unemployment Insurance, payroll taxes etc... I can see why the big guys are hiring the illegals. Most illegals that I am familiar with actually show up for work, and actually do a good job. And trust me, most of them make better wages then most people think. In fact, the lead guy at most places I frequent is a person of questionable citizenship, running a crew of white guys.

I also found that it did not seem to matter how good you paid a guy or gal, most people are not up to the task of driving a truck. The work ethics today are severally lacking. The drug abuse, poor driving records and not being able to hold a job or take personal responsibility for their families, was mind boggling at times. No matter how bad things were financially for some of these guys, it was like pulling teeth to get the job done on time.

And a total lack of understanding of the most basic and fundamental aspects of a job/career that these people had embarked on, it was incredible! Not able to do a log, scale a load, unable to read a map or plan a trip, unable to use a company cell phone or check the weather on a company supplied laptop with an air card that included a the simple to use Microsoft trip and streets. And much less the ability to maintain the equipment or follow basic dot and traffic laws! Or follow my simple instructions. It drove me totally nuts!

And these were experienced drivers, no one with less then 3 years over the road experience, and all were in their thirties and forties. It was pretty sad.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Rookie

I can empathize with the difficulty of motivating workers, LOL. I ran a moving company for three years. It was like banging my head against a brick wall trying to explain to some of these guys that when the amount of damages they caused from damaging pieces exceed the entire cost of the job...Well, you get the picture.

I do love to drive trucks though, and I have an excellent work ethic and am computer savvy, et al..... This is something I've always wanted to do.

I guess I am going backwards, LOL, wanting to go from being the dispatcher/estimator/manager to being a driver, but I hate being stuck in an office. I find driving very relaxing, even in a 35' moving truck in lower Manhattan, LOL (the biggest thing I've driven to date). Wall Street is no picnic in a big box truck; I can't imagine how difficult it must be towing a 48 ft trailer.

I am confident I can make this work for me. Time alone on the road is not an issue nor are any personal relationships/commitments. I'm pretty much ready to hit the ground running and not look back.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Board Regular

Meredith,

Here is a little inside info for you, and it may help.

There are quite a few Household Goods movers in your area. Most of these guys (drivers) will not go into NYC. I ran across a couple of United or American van line drivers that did nothing but move trailers in and out of NYC where they lived. They seemed like pretty honest guys, and they were making some obscene money from what they said. The over the road drivers would stop at their drop yard/terminal in NJ or NY, drop a NYC load and grab a loaded trailer to other points. They would not finish the trip into the city, these guys would complete the delivery for some good money. And I believe them, having been to NYC more then a few times.

I would seriously look into hooking up with one of the moving companies there in NY or Jersey. You might just find one that will take you on, or put you with an o/o to get some experience. Crazier things have happened if you are willing to stay around the house.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin
Meredith,

Here is a little inside info for you, and it may help.

There are quite a few Household Goods movers in your area. Most of these guys (drivers) will not go into NYC. I ran across a couple of United or American van line drivers that did nothing but move trailers in and out of NYC where they lived. They seemed like pretty honest guys, and they were making some obscene money from what they said. The over the road drivers would stop at their drop yard/terminal in NJ or NY, drop a NYC load and grab a loaded trailer to other points. They would not finish the trip into the city, these guys would complete the delivery for some good money. And I believe them, having been to NYC more then a few times.

I would seriously look into hooking up with one of the moving companies there in NY or Jersey. You might just find one that will take you on, or put you with an o/o to get some experience. Crazier things have happened if you are willing to stay around the house.
Good idea!!!
Oh, Meredith, the DUI might turn into a problem for some carriers, check the Trucking co. comparison sheet here to see who will have you after how long...most want 5 y's I think. So dont go to school unless you are ready to head to a company within 30 days. If you decide to do the NYC thing, it will be dependent on one of those cos.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:17 AM

Meredith,

Have you considered delivering fuel oil with your class B? You do need haz mat and tank endorsements but if you get laid off for a few months every year in the middle of the winter, it may be a good fit. (If you do not mind the smell) It seems to pay better than other class B local jobs.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member

JL look into CBS logistics department. You may already have a job in your reaches. The Audio trucks need drivers, since you already have a Class B, I would not spend money on a school. You should study for the Class A test and test with your state. Try this option before spending/giving away money at a CDL mill which is only going to teach you to hook up trailers, park on an open parking lot and hold the steering wheel. You know more than you give yourself credit for.