User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey there everyone,
I talked to Sage School in Rome, NY today and got some good info on finding funding for school. I also have an orientation appointment to see about WIA next week.

I'm interested in getting into the household goods part of the industry eventually since I already have a background in that.

Not a lot of jobs listed in my area for B licenses right now, but I keep checking daily. Also, I don't want to commit to a full-time gig if I'm going to be going off to school in the next month or so. I have a friend who is an o/o for Allied and he says he can probably use me on some pack jobs for now.

Thanks to all for the good advice; I'll keep you posted.
MJ
Old 12-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithJL
Hey there everyone,
I talked to Sage School in Rome, NY today and got some good info on finding funding for school.
So what is the info they gave you...WIA or something else?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Rookie

WIA is a possible option; I have an orientation app't scheduled for next Monday. The woman I spoke to (didn't get her name but she was very helpful) told me that she didn't think they'd pay more than half the cost of tuition, however. At least, that's what she's seen happen with WIA up there. The director of the program was out sick today but she took my information and said she would forward it to him.

I've read that the WIA thing is nearly impossible to qualify for even if you've been laid off, so I don't know if that will even pan out for me, but I'll give it a shot. Otherwise, if I pay for this myself I'll just write it off on my taxes. Would hate to spend my savings though, as that is my cushion for these lean times.

She also mentioned a TERI loan, which is an alternative to federal and TAP loans. They can't take federal/stafford/TAP loans because they are a certificate program and don't go by credit hours. Depending on the location of the school some can finance the training for you through a company, but this campus can't because they have to go by the rules of Mohawk Community College, which is where the training takes place. I'm still waiting to get out from under the five year window for a DUI (3 months shy), so I can't pursue that anyway.