User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i'm not sure how much experience a company would give your husband driving locally 1 day a week for his momma. as far as pay goes, i'm not sure how his cpm would coorelate into per hour pay - but i know some companies may look down on the fact that he didn't jump into a carrier right after he got his CDL.

think of it this way - i went to a tech college and got a degree in graphic design. i moved to a different city and got the job i have now (desk driver at a trucking company - i needed a job fast to make ends meet and this one paid pretty well) but i do a little bit of graphic design on the side, projects for a friend who freelances as a photographer. if i was going to go apply at a major design firm, which would they take stock in more - the fact that i have done business cards for my friend every now and then, or that i've been out of school for a year and a half and don't have much (if any, in their eyes) practical graphic design world experience?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Full-time mother is a full time job (w/no overtime pay) :lol:

As Yoopr said, he's still gonna need time to adjust. The crap the soliders have to see is unbelievable. My buddy talks about it when he gets SUPER drunk and talks about hand-hand combat with insurgents in the dark desert and having to cut people up the middle.

Maybe he can do HHG? Moving OTR drivers make some change. New World Van lines boasts about 70K minimum. Food for thought.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Hi all. Allow me to reply to the original poster of this thread with my PERSONAL OPINIONS.

You are RIGHT. $16.00 per hour in the Northeast IS peanuts and could not support a family unless he were working 60 plus hours per week or more. I live in New York City, am single, and own my own home and STILL couldn't make it on 16/hr.

As far as gaining experience running locally. This "experience" means NOTHING as far as racking up "points" towards getting a "better" job. Local driving counts for absolutely ZILCH as driving experience. This experience can only be gained by going over the road. However, this CAN be hard on families in SOME cases. From the sound of your post, it may be a GOOD thing for hubby to go OTR for a while. hehehe (just kidding)

I work for TMC and we are hiring in the Northeast. Feel free to call or PM me if you have any questions. Driving is NOT for everyone (even though they may have a CDL it may not be what they want to do) and this sounds like it MAY be the case with your hubby. If you both are "ok" with him driving for a living, He'll make between $700-$1300 per week driving OTR (out for the week and home on weekends) or $1000 per week if we have a local opening for him (where he'll be home daily or several times per week) The OTR position will give him the "experience" often talked about here and elsewhere and enable him to get a VERY good LOCAL job for anyone he wishes to work for. This can take anywhere from 3 mos., 6 mos, 1 year or 2 years, depending on what a particular local company requires.
Best of luck to you both,
Fred
Old 11-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Rookie

My husband drives truck for a living we are scraping by. There is only two three in our family. I think your husband should be able to stay at home. he did serve in Iraq. If your husband works a normal schedule maybe you could go out and get a job while he stays home with the kids.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Rookie

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, opinions, information and generally supportive words!

At this point in time, me having a job is really out of the question. I'm taking 12 credits right now (4 classes) trying to finish up my teaching degree. I'm on grants this semester, which means I have to maintain my average (which I'm very proud to say is a high B to an A in all my classes!) Our oldest is in 1st grade, but our youngest boys are 3 and 10 months - so I'm home with them during the day. Between studying and homework, diapers and term papers, I also have my own line of purses, do embroidered baby gifts and alterations to clothing for extra cash. I'm clipping coupons, I'm shopping at the discount stores, I'm buying my kids clothes at the 2nd hand store. I'm doing my part. He needs to do his.

I'm going to try to talk to him about this again tonight, but I have a feeling it will just end up the way it always does - with him getting irritated at my "nagging" and taking off in his car.

You know, after I put this down in text, it makes me wonder if I should be examining more than his career goals in this marriage.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

he has no tractor trailer experience, they deliver oil to homes in straight trucks.

personally it sounds like ya married a bitch and need to get divorced, doesn`t wanna work, doesnt stand up to momma, seemingly disregards his familys well being.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattookitty

I'm going to try to talk to him about this again tonight, but I have a feeling it will just end up the way it always does - with him getting irritated at my "nagging" and taking off in his car.

You know, after I put this down in text, it makes me wonder if I should be examining more than his career goals in this marriage.
:shock: How do you spell "Co-Dependent"?? :shock:

The job and the pay are not really issues!! Good HVAC people are always in demand!!

The problem here is his relationship with his mother, how he perceives her, to what degree he values himself and where your family, and particularly YOU fit into all of this!!

Seek out a good Marraige Counselor!!
Old 11-11-2006, 01:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless

Seek out a good Marraige Counselor!![/color]
You know, I think you're right. :? Where oh where has my fairytale ending gone?

On a side note, I love your siggy about fishing. Makes me wish I was out in the boat with my dad not worrying about anything but catching lunch and a tan! :wink:
Old 11-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Ok. This sounds like more than I can give advice for. I've been married for 21 years, and right now, I just don't know what to tell ya. You are going to have to make a decision. Your either happy where you are at, or your not.

Sorry I couldn't help you. Good luck.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 11-11-2006, 02:12 AM
Board Regular

just a word of advice from my standpoint. First, I never, never made more than 12.00 an hour doing anything near home And I dont have 3 kids I have 4. He recently got back from Iraq. Do not force him to go over the road right now to make better money if he doesnt want to. Do you know what you do while on the road all by yourself? You think, and think and THINK and THINK. He has a lot of bad memories to think about right now and he needs time to make those memories not so prevalent. Money doesnt mean a thing without your health and I seriously think you might jeapordize his mental health if you give him that time to think and arent somewhere close to help him heal. He isnt lazy. The military would not let him be and his military teachings wont let him be anytime soon. So, its another issue, like security. His mind needs stability right now and probably for about 2 to three years after coming out of iraq. Now thats just my take, I could be wrong and it wouldnt be the first time.
If he goes over the road do you seriously think you are going to be able to go to school and do all the things you are doing now with him there? Im not saying you cant but it will be a lot harder. I would think about maybe keeping him close so he can have the stability his mind needs right now and you have help until you get done with school and all you have to worry about is going to work and taking care of the homefront.
Bol