Default goodluck

goodluck
Old 11-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

no company would probably hire me now because of a medication I take, for most it treats depression but for me its for killing the urge to inflict bodily harm on people who deserve it.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Board Regular

well based on that brian, do you really need to be behind the wheel of an 80,000 lb vehicle of destruction? I mean if someone ticks you off bad enough, will the medicine be good enough to keep you from planting your drive wheels into their lap?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I wouldnt use my truck as a weapon, I actually like the truck, its the people I cant stand :lol:
Old 11-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattookitty
I've been thinking about this over the last few days, and somehow we'll be okay. It might be a couple of years, but I'll end up with my teaching degree, and when our youngest is in kindergarten I'll start working again.
Hello TattooKitty, I have a quick question. You said that your husband is currently making $16.00 an hour. How much do you expect to bring home earning inexperienced(substitute) teacher pay when you graduate?

I have friends that earned teaching degrees and some had a lot of trouble making ends meet in that profession. Low base pay, huge student loan debt, day care for the children once both parents work, lack of decent(free) benefits, constant layoffs and cutbacks, strikes, and the need to pursue a masters degree or doctorate to advance beyond even the lowest levels of teaching.
You may be lucky to net what he does when you're done.

Is it really fair to him to post these messages like he's not doing anything when he's currently earning more than you probably will after spending 30-100k of the family's money on a teaching degree?

BOL to both of you and please accept my family's heart-felt thanks and gratitude for the sacrifices that your family has endured to defend and protect us.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper

Is it really fair to him to post these messages like he's not doing anything when he's currently earning more than you probably will after spending 30-100k of the family's money on a teaching degree?
I appreciate your concern, but I believe I did mention in a previous post, my college education is being paid for by both grants and scholarships. Even if I never use my degree, I'll still have one, and as my grandfather always said, "knowledge is power." My husband could be going to school now too (GI Bill - I think they pay 75%?), and if he was even doing that I'd be happy, but he has no interest in ever being a "grown up" and taking care of his family. He'd rather run out and get the newest Xbox 360 game.

ETA: Starting salaries here for teachers with a BA is $40-$50,000... but that's just here. Is that normal?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:37 PM

The GI Bill has nothing to do with a percentage of your tuition. You get a check (or deposit) for 36th months, as long as you are enrolled full time. To get your monthly payment amount, divide the total of your bill by 36. I will be able to draw roughly 1500 a month, tax free if I enroll full time. The programs for truck driving schools work a little differently.

Now if your husband is still in the army, they will pay 100% of his tuition costs up to 4500 a year.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattookitty

I appreciate your concern, but I believe I did mention in a previous post, my college education is being paid for by both grants and scholarships.
Nothing wrong with that, I'm glad to see tax dollars put to good use. Service members and their families should get the first bite at the apple.

Quote:
Even if I never use my degree, I'll still have one, and as my grandfather always said, "knowledge is power."
Kinda like the husband's CDL if you think about it.

Quote:
My husband could be going to school now too (GI Bill - I think they pay 75%?), and if he was even doing that I'd be happy, but he has no interest in ever being a "grown up" and taking care of his family. He'd rather run out and get the newest Xbox 360 game.
The guy isn't in jail, has a job, and seems to spend time with his family. He's gone to war. Can we agree that he qualifies as a 'grown up'?

Look, you posted on here looking for advice so I'm offering some. If you want more money, more things, more whatever... then go out and earn it for yourself. He's your husband, not an investment that isn't paying off as planned. It sounds to me like he's happy with his life and if you're not then try to change yours, not his. If not, you both will just end up hating each other.

:roll: I sound like some fourth-rate Dr. Phil.

Quote:
ETA: Starting salaries here for teachers with a BA is $40-$50,000... but that's just here. Is that normal?
Assuming that you land a full time job fresh out of school, take the above number and start by subtracting union dues and clothing allowance. Also consider travel, daycare, health benefits and other related expenses. Possibly even a savings account to get you through one of those long drawn-out teachers strikes that happen fairly frequently. You'll probably find that the two of you will be in the same income bracket.

Good luck with school and get all A's!