User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hernia, Insurance SUCKS bad..........after the fact.

I have to admit, I have spent an entire lifetime and career avoiding "Manual Labor". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last week while unloading a small order at "Publix" warehouse in Jacksonville, I was replacing my pallets, I picked one up and felt a real HOT sting in my lower abdomen................I didn't think anything of it, at my age (57), Hell I hurt in places I didn't even know I had.............I even went back to our company office saying, I think I have a "Hernia" , in a half-joking manner.................it was over as far as I'm concerned.

I get up this morning (Monday) with a little pain (not much) in my abdomen, think nothing of it............go to take a shower (I know, a truck driver taking a shower every day is hard to believe :lol: :lol................HOLY SHEEEEEEET..............I look down and it looks like an "Small Orange" bulging out my abdomen.......take in mind that when I put my chin down to my chest, I can actually see my feet...(can you?) :lol:...I'm 6' 0" and only weight 186 lbs, (all muscle, I might add :lol , so it was quite noticeable...........I freaking out, I hate going to the Doctor, but I call immediately...............finally get an emergency appointment to see her at 10:00 AM..........she takes one look, pushes a couple of places (as I'm screaming in pain by now) and gets on the phone to set an immediate appointment with a Surgeon.................I get to the Surgeons office, he explains the I have a "Inguinal Hernia and a Groin rupture".......and need surgery IMMEDIATELY............when I realized I wasn't going to faint (I'm a total wuss) I say "no big deal", that's why I have insurance "Lets do it".........

Here's where it get "effin screwed-up"...............One would think that if he were paying as his part, $4550,00 ($175.00 bi-weekly) annually for his part on an "Aetna Insurance Insurance Plan", ....it would be pretty good coverage for just me and my wife................"BUT NO".............it seems that I end up paying 70% and "Aetna Insurance" is responsible for only 30%............my upfront cost was going to be $2900.00 and they expected a check before Surgery...............the money was not the point, I have the money, it's more a Principle thing with me.........explained next.

Here I am being nice guy trying to keep my company owners Workman's Comp. from going up....I was going to pay out of my insurance, NOT now..............I called and am making a claim tomorrow.............boy, they were pizzed...........because, I'm going to maybe need 3-surgeries in total I was informed after feeling my abdomen and Family Jewels, and will be out of work 6-8 weeks,...............the sad part, I told them I did NOT want any drugs after the Surgery...........I might regret that decision.

UPDATE.....UPDATE.............UPDATE...........UPD ATE

It's Tuesday morning. I'm thinking I'm going to let "Workman's Comp" pay for my operation and get paid for the weeks I'm off.................I get a call from my Surgeons Office, the nurse is in a panic.......I ask her what's wrong, she said the Doctor was in a panic because she had not scheduled Surgery immediately (actually my dumb azz fault) he specifically emphasized to me that this operation CAN NOT wait........the chances of my Hernia become "Incarcerated" and/or "Strangulated" are extremely high and if I don't have surgery immediately, it could be, without warning the "Eternal Dirt Nap" for me.....in other words, "Workman's Comp." will take to long, so now I have to pay this out of my own pocket, because of my wonderful outright SCAM-POS insurance policy SUCKS BIG TIME.....this friggin sucks.

Another kicker...............they have scheduled my surgery for 4:45 AM in the "Friggin" morning on Thursday.....who in their right mind would cut on someone that early? Oh yea, after talking to my neighbor who's had a couple of these, he explained the pain factor...........I called the Doctors Office and told them I was suffering from "Temporary Insanity"..........GIMME the DRUGS.....Homey, don't play this pain sheeeeeet. :lol: :lol:

The moral to this drivel..................READ YOUR INSURANCE POLICY!!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:04 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Strangulated hernias are nothing to sneeze at. Very, very dangerous. Get that baby pushed in, meshed up, and behind you.

As far as the insurance issue goes, that's Aetna for you. I am firmly convinced that Aetna is quite literally, satan's summer home above the hellfire plantation. :x

Old 10-31-2006, 08:10 PM

Anyone know if Mutual of Omaha is any good?

"Some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school. " Dave Attell
Old 10-31-2006, 08:19 PM

There aren't any good insurance companies when it comes time for them to pay up. Especially Workman's Comp companies.

My wife was injured at work and the WC doc poked and prodded on her. No tests. He said that nothing was wrong with her and dismissed her. Her personal doctor did a full back x-ray and four MRIs and found two bulging discs, among other things. Workman's comp won't cover anything so we are paying out of pocket for her recovery. Three months without much results, and no income.

There will be a suit...

Sorry for the off-track.

Hope you get things squared away. Better off in debt than in the ground. You can always fight for your rights later.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:29 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Join the Small Business Association and get Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO and never see a bill in your life, go to any doctor you feel like without a referral.
The only insurance to have!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerlin
Sorry for the off-track..
Emerlin..............that's one thing about me, I give "FULL PERMISSION" to anyone to hijack ANY thread I start............I have no problem whatsoever if someone does that.........keeps the thread interesting in my opinion.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
Thats what i have very good. Cost me 11.00 dollars a week. Thast with dental and vison. But i am single i dont know what a family would be.
I had a Hernia at 21 and got it taken care of cost me nothing. Sorry to hear about that AFF. I would go under workmans. I used to work for a place that didnt pay there bills and your card would be no good when you went to use it. :shock:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-01-2006, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey AFF I had hernia surgery twice, The second time was for continuas pain, and Now I have NERVE damage, and the Worst kind, Inguinial Nerve Damage. Soo be carful! And if you have continuas pain after surgery it is probly nerve's trapped in scare tissue, etc.

Any way I too went through workmans comp, and if your not strangled yet, I would wait for it to come in affect before you go into surgery. The surgeon might say it is dangerouse, but if I remember right-- if it is not strangled then just don't lift anything and take it easy, and wait. One more thing, take the meds , you will need them.
I will be the judge
And the jury

Neil Peart
Old 11-01-2006, 12:38 AM

I had the same kind of hernia, got hurt at work. I went right into surgery, but my doc didnt want the money up front. The WC claim was all that was needed. Got a paid month off of work too out of the deal. And a $hitload of vicodin. Good call on the meds, afterwards you are gonna feel like someone drove a Pete 379 into your nuts.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Join the Small Business Association and get Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO and never see a bill in your life, go to any doctor you feel like without a referral.
The only insurance to have!
Yeah but what is the cost for family coverage.