User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Considering a career change

Hello to all...first time posting here and after reading for awhile, I think this might just be a great place to hang my hat. However I'm still somewhat of a rookie with these online forums, so excuse me if I posted this in the wrong place.

After almost 30 yrs busting my knuckles and taxing my brain for the General(GM), I want to hit the road...literally. I've always had an interest in driving, both local and long haul. In fact I've made the coast to coast trip several times during my life, but only with a 24' box truck or 32' motorhome. No doubt...this is my next passion!!!

What I would like to ask from the pros here is what are your opinions and pros/cons of the biz? Give it to me straight up...is it worthwhile to give this gig a shot? I'm 48 if it matters, but still feel as good as I did when I was 30-35 <G>

btw...This coming Monday, I have a rep from NETTS coming to make his presentation about their school. Based on what I've read, I believe getting the training on my own(versus company provided) would put me in a better position for when I start driving. Any comments about going this route?

Any and all comments would be appreciated...thanx
Old 10-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Since CDLs have turned into a student loan scam, I would say get your training as cheap as possible, whether its a company school, outside school, or on your own with a local tester. After 30 years in the plant, you need to get out and see some daylight and moonlight, and snow and sleet, and tornadoes, and oceans, and mountains, and sunrises, and sunsets, get the picture? Go for it!!!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Senior Board Member

No one will know if it's a good decision or not, but you. My advice would be to just be sure of what you're getting yourself into. It may be right up your alley or it could be the best decision you've ever made. IMO, the worst part if you have a family is being away from them for several days or weeks at a time.

I will say that in my opinion, you are better off to pay for the training yourself if you are in a position where you can afford it. No sense in being locked into one company for a year or two if you can avoid that. Other than that, the good and bad will vary from one individual to the next.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Rookie

The main factor in driver success in my opinion, and I doubt others will disagree, is what is your home life like? If you have kids at home, or you really like being home, think of something else for a career. If you want to make good bucks, see the country, don't mind the hassles and filthy restrooms, hit the open road. Nearly everyone I have seen fail in trucking was because of a wife/girlfriend/kids at home and it is a killer to load your stuff after being home for 2 days and out the door for 3 weeks or more. If you have an ailing parent, remember, it will be tougher yet. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Rookie

LOAD IT

No doubt about the loan scams, I just discovered plenty about it. OUCH!! Any comments about going the local community college route instead?

I love the outdoors in ANY weather, but as for Tornadoes, not sure about them...do hurricanes qualify? Probably not

btw...I've been working at the dealership level, not in the Generals plant itself...even though it probably feels the same. :lol:

redsfan & joasis

Yes I have family, which consists of my wife and daughter. My daughter moved back home after college. Trust me...hitting the road would be a dream come true after living with 2 women all these years :wink: Seriously though, I am aware of the consequences of becoming a OTR driver. I've reached a point in my life that I need ~my space~ and the need to get away, and my other half does support the idea. Only way to find out if it will work for us is to go for it. I can always return to my current profession if it doesn't work out.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Rookie

Sounds like you might be one to make it happen...good luck to you. BTW, if there is any way you can do your training on your own, through a state tech school or community college, do it...then you won't be scammed by Billy Bob's trucking school....and you can be selective about who you work for.

Just remember the main rules, never quit under load or abandon equipment! And don't jump company to company..stick with a company at least several months before deciding to leave.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Hi BA,

I see you are from New England. If you are close to Mass you can give Roadmaster a call. They are in Lawrence Mass. I went through there school part time at a cost of $3,600. They only teach you to drive and pass the driving test. You must get your permit before showing up.

The owner is Jim and his number is 978-683-7016
Old 10-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Rookie

joasis
Thanks for the vote of confidence...this has been a life long passion for me, but I never persued it. My goal would be to become an O/O with a team player. Too bad my wife doesn't have any interest in driving one of these rigs. There is the possibilty that after I get my wheels in motion and start driving, she could travel with me and change her mind. Probably wishful thinking...but isn't that what dreams are all about?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Hi BA,

I see you are from New England. If you are close to Mass you can give Roadmaster a call. They are in Lawrence Mass. I went through there school part time at a cost of $3,600. They only teach you to drive and pass the driving test. You must get your permit before showing up.

The owner is Jim and his number is 978-683-7016

Yes, I'm in CT, could you elaborate about the permit part? What is involved in getting one?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:01 PM

It's the written test you take at the DMV. You can get the book to study from there or go to your states DMV online and the book will be there. Read it like 5 times then take the test.