User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The only real obstacle that I can see regarding this career change is $$. I've seen the .25-.30 cpm rate for rookies and by doing the math...that raises a flag. Then I see what dragracer makes after 6 mos, and that is about what I would need to survive. Living in CT is wicked expensive!! Last year I made $60K and can live 'somewhat comfortably'(does that even exist anymore?) for the most part. After a year or so driving, I'm sure I'll earn enough, but until I get there I might be stuck feeding my family PB & jelly sandwiches...minus the PB & jelly :wink:

Here's what my problem is and I was wondering if any of you faced a similar challenge and what you did...

I still have about 12 yrs left on my mortgage, but I do have some serious equity. I've been at my current employer for about 14yrs and have a decent 401K, but no pension. I also have about 8 or 9 yrs left on 2 student loans for my daughters college education. That cost me almost as much as what I paid for my house :shock:

So...those 2 debts alone run about 2K a month. Glad I don't have any CC or car payments any more. I have a little in savings, but it takes a hit twice a year when I pay my property taxes. With the high energy costs currently in place, $$ doesn't go as far as it used too. The way I see it is I might have to take as much as a 50% pay cut to make the career change. That's the only concern I face. I think it would be foolish if I hit up my equity to help make ends meet, and I'd also have another payment to make. I could always tap into my 401 after I leave my current employer, but the tax and penality hit are going to take a hefty chunk out of it. And since I have no pension, it too would be another foolish mistake.

I really want to change careers...so bad that it seems 24/7 all I think about is driving a rig OTR. There has to be a way I can make this work, but I'm not about to jeopardize what I've achieved so far in life.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm sure there must be a few folks here that were in a similar position at one time or another...

TIA
Old 11-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRolln
BA,

Have you tried searching any of the community colleges in your surrounding area? I just finished up, and the program that I took was 5 weeks full time during the day and 9 weeks if you took the night class (4 hours). The cost was a little over $3,900 and was worth it. The added benefit for those who were paying out of pocket was the school was willing to work out a payment plan with the understanding that they would hold your paperwork once you passed until they got their money. I didn't see a difference in driving between the day or night class either (we all tested out together). Also, depending on the school that you attend, they have job placement. So, most likely you'll have a job lined up by the time you graduate from the program. I would suggest before attending any school, get your permit first. It will save you a lot of pressure and you can use the time in class to study for your endorsements if you don't get those before class starts as well. By the way, I had a couple of guys in my class that worked in the Ford plant. They're getting laid off on average 2 wks. out of the month, and Ford is still playing games with their lives. Good luck to you, I sincerely hope that everything works out in your favor.
Yes I did check with a local school...they don't offer anything. There are a couple more I can check with, but they are about an hour+ away. I'll have to see what they offer. I also plan to contact the place in MA that steve suggested.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2006, 03:36 AM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

goodluck
Old 11-06-2006, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: you will probably have 2 relocate if you drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
no trucker makes $60k the first year, never. you will probably have 2 move and relocate your home if you are going 2 drive or else your wife will have to work too? 60k a year to live that is ridiculous!
Oh really? This is my first year with TMC and I'm on track to make OVER $60,000. Maverick drivers too routinely make close to $60,000 their first year. It is EASILY "do-able".
Old 11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
60k a year to live that is ridiculous!
Not if you live in the northeast, like in CT, MA or NY and want to own a home. Take a look at CA...how far will $60K get you?

I'm not saying I need $60K to start...$40-50 would probably work. But based on what I've read, many rookies start off around $30K. I may just have to set aside away about 6 months or so of my current income before I make the switch to driving. The problem there is I DON"T want to wait that long. I'd like to start training right after the holidays.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
Oh really? This is my first year with TMC and I'm on track to make OVER $60,000. Maverick drivers too routinely make close to $60,000 their first year. It is EASILY "do-able".
That sounds more like it...but you've been driving for quite awhile, correct?
I just looked at your site again...I'll HAVE to find some time tonight when I get home to check it completely. It sounds like TMC might be the ticket for me. Maverick also sounds good, but it sounds like you got to bust a nut everyday.

Anyone have any comments about CFI and their training program?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
That sounds more like it...but you've been driving for quite awhile, correct?
I just looked at your site again...I'll HAVE to find some time tonight when I get home to check it completely. It sounds like TMC might be the ticket for me. Maverick also sounds good, but it sounds like you got to bust a nut everyday.

Anyone have any comments about CFI and their training program?
Nope, I've been driving for just 7 months. TMC offers cpm pay or percentage pay. Percentage pays on percentage of the load. Rookies can (and do) make as much as veteran drivers.
Yes you DO have to bust your butt. But only for an hour to and hour and a half per day.
Call or write if you have any questions.