User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks steve. I did come across CT's manual online somewhere. I'll go back and find it and start reading.

edited to say...ctrl H works great. I found it!! Thanx again!!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA
redsfan & joasis

Yes I have family, which consists of my wife and daughter. My daughter moved back home after college. Trust me...hitting the road would be a dream come true after living with 2 women all these years :wink: Seriously though, I am aware of the consequences of becoming a OTR driver. I've reached a point in my life that I need ~my space~ and the need to get away, and my other half does support the idea. Only way to find out if it will work for us is to go for it. I can always return to my current profession if it doesn't work out.
Good gosh man, I didn't know were living with two grown women! Forget any other advice I gave you, just run! Don't worry about whether you pay, they pay or if the school is worth a hoot or not, just get out while you can!!! :wink:
Old 10-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Rookie

Hello fellow auto tech turning trucker!!! Damn, remember not too long ago, money was nice fixing cars, now, it just sucks. Either the shops are dead, or they don't want to pay squat anymore, sometimes it's poor pay and poor work. I decided to go to trucking school because it was a good career to get into, plus it has always been an interest, but I have always been so into the technician thing.

I am going to America's Driving Force, in Georgia. $2,400 if you pay up front, but yeah, if you finance it, it's $4,800. They do it because so often people don't pay it back, but I think it is unfair to make the responsible one's pay. Even if you have to use a credit card, your better off. Watch out for these companies that will send you to school, it sounds nice but you have to sign a contract with them, and it comes out of your paycheck and when it is all said and done, you paid twice if not much more. Some companies will reimberse you, which is somewhat better, but it's best to not be obligated.

BTW: your knowlege of automotive helps a lot for CDL testing.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Rookie

if you dont mind flatbedding then you might want to consider Maverick they pay for school and you are only obligated for 6 months. 1500 bucks and that is pro rated so if you stay 3 months then you only owe half. and they get you home nearly every weekend. the pay isnt to bad either. They start you out at .35 a mile.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:31 AM
Board Regular

BA, welcome to CAD. I build 'em and you fix 'em :wink: It'll be 30 years come Feb. that i've been working on the General's assembly line, and i'll tell you what, i'm getting pretty darn tired of it. It's time for a change for me also, and truck driving is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. It will be a perfect time for me to enter the profession. Still fairly young...i'll be 50 next year, and from what I have read, age has nothing to do with it, just as long as you can pass the physical. As a matter of fact, us "older" guys who have a squeeky clean driving record and a stable work history, have a much better chance of being hired on by companies, rather then someone who is in their early 20's and just entering the job market. And money will not be an option for me either, since I will be collecting a pension from the General. So if trucking doesn't work out for me...i'm confident that it will...I can just move on to something else.

I am going to go through a community college for my training. There is one here in DE...Del Tech...about an hour from my home. One of the perks for working for the General, is that they will pay $1,500 towards the tuition. That's a good thing :wink:

I am also married, but no children, and my wife supports my decision 100%. Heck, I work 2nd shift now and only see here on weekends, because she leaves for work before I wake up, and I leave before she comes home. So even if I just see her every other week is no big problem for us. We both realize that the first year will probably be the toughest. After that, she should be able to come along with me...and maybe get her to drive also.

So come here often, ask questions and do your homework, before you decide on which company to drive for. You will learn real fast on here, which companies to stay away from. Best of luck to you...Dave
Old 10-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason607
Hello fellow auto tech turning trucker!!! Damn, remember not too long ago, money was nice fixing cars, now, it just sucks. Either the shops are dead, or they don't want to pay squat anymore, sometimes it's poor pay and poor work. I decided to go to trucking school because it was a good career to get into, plus it has always been an interest, but I have always been so into the technician thing.

I am going to America's Driving Force, in Georgia. $2,400 if you pay up front, but yeah, if you finance it, it's $4,800. They do it because so often people don't pay it back, but I think it is unfair to make the responsible one's pay. Even if you have to use a credit card, your better off. Watch out for these companies that will send you to school, it sounds nice but you have to sign a contract with them, and it comes out of your paycheck and when it is all said and done, you paid twice if not much more. Some companies will reimberse you, which is somewhat better, but it's best to not be obligated.

BTW: your knowlege of automotive helps a lot for CDL testing.
Hey Jason...yeah the $$$ was nice, in fact it still is if you can tolerate all the BS and work 3 times as hard as you used to. I'm 6'2"/230# and it's a flaming bitch for me to even fit in some of these tin cans, never mind get my hands into places to test or change a part. Worse part though is the warranty crap. Now that the General is going with the 100K warranty, added to the fact that half the public thinks EVERYTHING is covered by warranty, it's time to move on. Here in the northeast the pay is great, but so what!! Pay is about $30 per hr(you need that to survive around here!!) for top notch techs, but if you only get paid half the time(warranty times) needed to diag and fix these rolling elec sh!t boxes, why bother. At times I feel like just going to MickeyD's and flip burgers.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter
if you dont mind flatbedding then you might want to consider Maverick they pay for school and you are only obligated for 6 months. 1500 bucks and that is pro rated so if you stay 3 months then you only owe half. and they get you home nearly every weekend. the pay isnt to bad either. They start you out at .35 a mile.
When you say "if you don't mind flatbedding" is there any reason I shouldn't? Other than having to worry about losing a load off a flat due to carelessness, what are the differences between flat and box?

Thanks for the tip about Maverick...I'll search for some info about them later today.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman
BA, welcome to CAD. I build 'em and you fix 'em :wink: It'll be 30 years come Feb. that i've been working on the General's assembly line, and i'll tell you what, i'm getting pretty darn tired of it. It's time for a change for me also, and truck driving is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. It will be a perfect time for me to enter the profession. Still fairly young...i'll be 50 next year, and from what I have read, age has nothing to do with it, just as long as you can pass the physical. As a matter of fact, us "older" guys who have a squeeky clean driving record and a stable work history, have a much better chance of being hired on by companies, rather then someone who is in their early 20's and just entering the job market. And money will not be an option for me either, since I will be collecting a pension from the General. So if trucking doesn't work out for me...i'm confident that it will...I can just move on to something else.

I am going to go through a community college for my training. There is one here in DE...Del Tech...about an hour from my home. One of the perks for working for the General, is that they will pay $1,500 towards the tuition. That's a good thing :wink:

I am also married, but no children, and my wife supports my decision 100%. Heck, I work 2nd shift now and only see here on weekends, because she leaves for work before I wake up, and I leave before she comes home. So even if I just see her every other week is no big problem for us. We both realize that the first year will probably be the toughest. After that, she should be able to come along with me...and maybe get her to drive also.

So come here often, ask questions and do your homework, before you decide on which company to drive for. You will learn real fast on here, which companies to stay away from. Best of luck to you...Dave
So your the guy whose building these nightmares that I have to fix <G> Where the he!! do these engineers get the idea that stuffing everything into the tightest possible place is the answer. Especially when they bury a part that you have to tear half the vehicle apart just to test it? These clowns need to come out into the field and fix, never mind diag all the headaches they design.

Yeah you guys have some pretty good perks working at the plant. Too bad they don't exist at the dealership level. We do get our perks, but not the type you get...pension, tuition reimbursement, 'No' flatrate...to name a few.

Thanks for the welcome
Old 10-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Well, gotta make this quick as I have to head to the salt mines shortly. Thanks for the welcome guys. It's been a rough couple of days after the nasty storm we had this past weekend. We lost power for most of Sunday and part of Monday. My house survived with minimal damage, but I had one he!! of a mess ouside due to the high winds. Living on a hill top does have it's problems.

Just a quick update...last night the rep from NETTTS came and spelled out there program. Up front it sounds great, but $6800 for a 20 week program? OUCH!!! I didn't make any commitment yet, since there are finacial aid benifits available. Thursday night I'll find out the details. I seriously doubt I'm gonna have to cough up that kind of coin. What I like about going this route is I can take the training on weekends and still keep my current job...which I need to do in order to survive. The bad part is losing 20 weekends.

Gotta run now, but I'll post more about it later tonight.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh
Default Re: Considering a career change

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA
Hello to all... I want to hit the road...

Any and all comments would be appreciated...thanx
Driving has given me a very good standard of living and I,ve seen most of Europe during my time on the road.
It,s an unforgettable experience when you set out on your own for the first time,nerve-wracking,daunting and yet, at the same time, exhilarating
Go follow your dream :wink:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit