Old 10-13-2006, 04:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebum
Go the route your going,you know how to drive a truck,so take what you can and drive it then hit the big time's later(if you still want.)
Yea that's what am going to do. I just look at as if TMC wants to have there rules that's fine. But am sure they loose out on alot of good drivers. I think TMC is a good company but i wouldn't call them the best of the best. They do take newbies from driving schools.
I'm sure they DO loose out on a lot of good drivers. But good drivers are not necessarily all working for TMC is about. It's good driving combined with a true DESIRE to work there and the right "attitude" that TMC is also looking for. Some have it, some don't, and that's fine. TMC is NOT for everyone. Many find a better fit elsewhere.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Am sorry but i think that SCHOOL stuff is Little over rated. I can see schools good for people that know nothing at all about trucking. But if you have family in trucking and grew up wanting to know about trucking. They will teach you alot. Schools only teach you so much. But i got my CDL for around 250 bucks. Beats spending a couple grand or being a slave to a company. But there are good outfits out there smaller ones that will help you out or work around it. I always thought if want to get a job and i have 5 years of exp. In a seat and someone else just got out of school i would think i would have no problem getting a job but look like i thought wrong. It just seems like OTR trucking is that way. Why ain't dump trucks or other local companies seem to make a big deal with it.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-13-2006, 04:17 AM

I'm not saying cut corners,by any means, I think TMC misses out sometimes because of their standards,nature of the beast,and i'm sorry if I was misleading,standards are great,but when you hire drivers,insure drivers,then dispatch drivers...at some point there has to be a conflict of interest...and Fred ,your a business man....you know that...even for a company man.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

one more thing i would like to add. All these OTR company's talk about all the empty trucks they have and cant get drivers to fill them. Well wounder why. Am not just talking about TMC am talking about all the big outfits. Am i think i would be happer with a smaller company anyway i work for a big comany now and i liked the small ones alittle better. Well any one know of any outlaw outfits around in south east PA??

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-13-2006, 04:38 AM

Don't know of any hand, But they are there(not outlaw)They no longer existSHHHSHHHH..

JUst drive around back roads(y'all have 'em plenty) and ask for jobs. Somebody will take you......but you have to choose them as well!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebum
I'm not saying cut corners,by any means, I think TMC misses out sometimes because of their standards,nature of the beast,and i'm sorry if I was misleading,standards are great,but when you hire drivers,insure drivers,then dispatch drivers...at some point there has to be a conflict of interest...and Fred ,your a business man....you know that...even for a company man.
Very True.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Am sorry but i think that SCHOOL stuff is Little over rated. I can see schools good for people that know nothing at all about trucking. But if you have family in trucking and grew up wanting to know about trucking. They will teach you alot. Schools only teach you so much. But i got my CDL for around 250 bucks. Beats spending a couple grand or being a slave to a company. But there are good outfits out there smaller ones that will help you out or work around it. I always thought if want to get a job and i have 5 years of exp. In a seat and someone else just got out of school i would think i would have no problem getting a job but look like i thought wrong. It just seems like OTR trucking is that way. Why ain't dump trucks or other local companies seem to make a big deal with it.
Have you seen most local companies and dump truck companies equipment? Have you seen and SPOKE to the DRIVERS of these companies? :shock: Those are the type of drivers TMC does NOT want representing them at the shippers and consignees. Part of the job at TMC is IMAGE. We need to look clean and neat, be well spoken and be able to read and write well. A lot of "non school type" drivers from some local companies simply do not measure up to what's required. I'm not saying this is true for ALL local guys but TMC has to have SOME way of "weeding out" the misfits.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
Have you seen most local companies and dump truck companies equipment? Have you seen and SPOKE to the DRIVERS of these companies? :shock: Those are the type of drivers TMC does NOT want representing them at the shippers and consignees. Part of the job at TMC is IMAGE. We need to look clean and neat, be well spoken and be able to read and write well. A lot of "non school type" drivers from some local companies simply do not measure up to what's required. I'm not saying this is true for ALL local guys but TMC has to have SOME way of "weeding out" the misfits.
Well dump trucks go through hell and back more then TMC's tractors will ever see. When you stay on blacktop i guess you have nice clean trucks. But try going into mud hole landfills where you sink a foot into the ground and more that's Dump Truckin! Well if that's the way TMC weeds out bad drivers then more power to them. By the way i pumped out a holding tank one time at ALL STATE driving school. Let me tell you it look like some of them drivers where half way homeless. I know what your trying to get at Fred and its all right. Some of the best drivers out there on the road never stepped foot in a school. You will find that out once you been around a while.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
Well dump trucks go through hell and back more then TMC's tractors will ever see. When you stay on blacktop i guess you have nice clean trucks. But try going into mud hole landfills where you sink a foot into the ground and more that's Dump Truckin!
We were hauling dirt onto a job with belly dumps and we would go charging into the mud and go as far as we could then the D8 dozer would come up behind us and push us through and if any buddy thinks that a big black Pete would stay nice and shiny doing that your nuts.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Both of you are correct. And I wasn't comparing TMC Pete's vs. Dump Trucks, you missed the point. My point was that charging thru the mud till you get stuck is EXACTLY the kind of driving TMC does NOT want nor need. Explain to me how driving THAT way for 1, 10 or a hundred years would in ANY way prepare you to drive a nice new Pete?