User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

well that pe kramme pays .39 loaded and 35 empty. And like 15.40 hr for waiting getting loaded and unloaded. i really don't know if that's a good rate or not i guess for a newbie going OTR it ain't to bad. Full paid by the company family med. benefits. So i think i may go with them for alittle bit like i said i got the green light as long as i pass the road test which shouldn't be a problem.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Board Regular

If you don't mind me asking Mackman what are you earning now?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

18.74 an hr. O/T over 8 hrs. Work around 50-55hrs a week. More O/T if i want. The job i have now is a good job i hate like hell to leave but i want to drive OTR really bad. But if i leave and want to come back they will not take me back they will some one esle in that truck in no time.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
18.74 an hr. O/T over 8 hrs. Work around 50-55hrs a week. More O/T if i want. The job i have now is a good job i hate like hell to leave but i want to drive OTR really bad. But if i leave and want to come back they will not take me back they will some one esle in that truck in no time.
I don't know if you could make much more than that or not going OTR or not plus you are never really home. I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes if TMC would take you then I would go if not then I don't know.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:53 AM
Senior Board Member

If I understand correctly, you've had no "formal" training for your CDL and thus would require a "refresher" course from a certified CDL school. Not saying that YOU are one, but I know several very experienced drivers who would fail a road test if it were given to them tomorrow. TMC has very specific requirements to obtain a job with them which is why they are considered the best of the best. Sometimes it may seem like overkill but as they say "thems tha rules". Their insurance requires a certain number of hours of formal training and if you are experienced but lack formal training, a refresher course is still needed. I understand you may not be in the position to loose the revenue time with attending school and that's ok. If you change your mind, I'm still here to answer your questions as best I can. Good Luck.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:21 AM

Fact is they underwrite themselves,so they make their own insurance rules.

Go the route your going,you know how to drive a truck,so take what you can and drive it then hit the big time's later(if you still want.)

I've been driving a long time under diffrent conditions,just never did it "otr" Im doing fine now though and I bet you do too.

Flatbedfred is a great source for tmc info....but he works for'em. He's a success story from a complete rookie viewpoint.

Truth is after he has time on the road he'll have a hard time with some tests too as they are practical exams...not reality exams.....!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebum
Go the route your going,you know how to drive a truck,so take what you can and drive it then hit the big time's later(if you still want.)
Yea that's what am going to do. I just look at as if TMC wants to have there rules that's fine. But am sure they loose out on alot of good drivers. I think TMC is a good company but i wouldn't call them the best of the best. They do take newbies from driving schools.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:55 AM

Exactly hand... If they take newbs, then why is there a problem for others who can drive without a school?

By the way I have not applied nor been turned downed by TMC, i just did my research on them.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Fact is they underwrite themselves,so they make their own insurance rules.

I've been driving a long time under diffrent conditions,just never did it "otr" Im doing fine now though and I bet you do too.

Flatbedfred is a great source for tmc info....but he works for'em. He's a success story from a complete rookie viewpoint.

Truth is after he has time on the road he'll have a hard time with some tests too as they are practical exams...not reality exams.....!!!!!!!!!!
True, they DO underwrite themselves, but the department that handles the insurance, sets the rules that the recruiters and others must follow, just as if an outside company were their insurers. Yep, I am a "rookie" albeit a talented one. (tooting my own horn). Careful what "reality exams" you get used to as those are the ones that will eventually get you hurt or killed. When people say "reality", as in the "reality of the business", often times they mean cutting corners or doing something unsafe in the way of securement or driving. Do NOT get so comfortable as to short change your safety or the safety of those around you.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Exactly hand... If they take newbs, then why is there a problem for others who can drive without a school?

By the way I have not applied nor been turned downed by TMC, i just did my research on them.
Not saying that school is needed by EVERYONE. But it doesn't hurt if done at a GOOD school. I know a few drivers who "think they can drive without a school" and they can. They can start the truck, go forward and slam perfectly well into the car in front of them, all without EVER having gone to school.