User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default record of all states you had a license in?

Ok here's the situation. As a teen I had my license suspended many times and finally revoked. All over 15 years ago. (only for excessive tickets.) not to make light of it by saying "only" but no DUI, reckless driving etc.

Anyway, on my current job I said I never had my license suspened. They did their check, presumably only in the state I'm in now and I came back clean. I'm about to try and get into bigger companies and am wondering how they check these things? The only national database I know of for suspensions is the NDR which I checked and came back clean. Today I ordered my copy of the DAC report. Other than that there is nothing to tie me to that state.

So my question is, do companies know all states that one has had a license?

One other question, on an application the other day, I acutally put the city I lost my license in, but the wrong state (honest mistake no?) and I'm wondering if everything on an application goes into the DAC database.

Thanks for you help.

One final thing for clarification, as the suspensions weren't for something major, the reason I want to avoid the issue so much is that I have a criminal record in that state which is buried more or less so I just don't want snooping around in that state. (I have my hazmat by the way)

Thank you again for your help and comments.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Board Regular

most companies will do a past 3 yr MVR, so its very likely to show nothing, on the other hand the DAC report could go back further and included is a nationwide criminal check.
I will say get that report before calling companies or applying, no need to tell them more then what they can find out, its amazing how many things dont show up. I know it first hand.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Criminal Record

If you have a LEO friend, you may want ask what can be pulled up on you from the NCIC. I doubt your criminal record "is buried more or less". BOL
Old 10-10-2006, 04:28 AM

Thanks, but if I did have a Leo friend, I wouldn't be too much of a friend by asking him to do that, as it is pretty illegal for him to look things up like that for no reason. They are getting strict with that in this age of identity theft.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can go to your local police or sheriff's office and they can pull a criminal background check on you for a few dollars. They can do either a local, state or nationwide check. If you have concerns, it would be better for you to find out first rather than the company where you apply. Criminal background checks are fairly common with some of the larger carrier's. I would not count on anything being buried. Good luck to you.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:59 PM

Thanks GMAN, I'm glad you acutally posted since you are real knowledgable about this industry and your posts are usually detailed and well thought out.

However my post wasn't really about criminal records it was driving records. I'd just like to know if I say I have never had my license suspended or revoked in another state, how will they find out otherwise?

I know they have the cdlis system now, but as I said this other license was from my youth.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You are welcome, quito12. I got the impression from your post that you were more concerned about your past crimminal history being exposed. Most carriers will not be very concerned with a crimminal history as long as at least 5 years have elapsed. Some may require a longer time. Most states will limit the MVR to no more than 7 years. I can get a 3, 5 or 7 year MVR in my licensing state. DAC is controled by the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Most everything will drop off after 7 years. When companies ask about your license being suspended, they are primarily interested in your CDL. I doubt that you need to worry about anything that far back. If there are companies in which you are interested, you may want to ask the recruiter. Some applications ask about any suspensions EVER. Others ask a specific number of years. Whether you mention it or not should not impact your ability to find a good company. Too much time has elapsed. Since it has been so long ago, I would probably not mention it. If you get a copy of your MVR you will know for sure what is on it.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:39 AM

Thanks GMAN. I didn't even think about the 7 year thing. This is good for driving records however due to changes in the FCRA criminal records can be reported indefinitely (except in a few states). Like I said though I was more worried about the driving record since if they see I had a license in that state, then what follows is the criminal check. I want to avoid my home state all together (except I have a very distinguishable accent )

Anyway thanks again and also thanks again for all of your posts, you are a big help to a lot of people here.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:51 AM

Damn Quito, you sound dishonest from the gitgo. Stay out of a trucking all together. Our rep's bad enough.

You've hid your past from everything by your own words. Could you be a cop that way????No...Military.....NO!!!.......Driver......D on't try it......Be honest and I'd help you get a job!!!!Just don't B'S your way through life.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:53 AM

Honest enough as far as working, wouldn't take a dime that didn't belong to me. Really don't blame me for being dishonest, I have no choice. After my trouble, I tried to be honest but I couldn't even get a job at the lowest level of society.

Therefore I have to do what I have to do. I'm a homeowner, pay my taxes, vote and have perfect credit yet none of that matters.

Anyway to answer your question saddle, I couldn't be a cop as those type of criminal checks go through the federal database NCIC and as that is run with fingerprints there's no getting around that.