User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Stevens Transport

I'm attending CDL training for Stevens at Roland/HCC in Houston.
HCC's website claims the progam is 36 days however Steven's said it 3 weeks. Steven's quoted me $4995.00 to train in Dallas, but another person in recruiting suggested Houston. She also stated that it's a one contract, with no deductions. Is anyone familar with the Houston facility and this process for stevens? I've heard the good, bad and ugly about Stevens. I attended Schneider's job fair but they won't return my calls. So I'm planning to go ahead with Steven's but would like to know what to expect.
Thanks,
rtstxes
Old 10-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Board Regular

The regular program at HCC that you pay for out of your own pocket is 7 weeks long and is a PTDI certified course. HCC also teaches a shorter 3 week class for Stevens Transport, USA Truck and CRST. If you take the 3 week class the tuition will be paid for by your future employer.

HCC charges $2,500 for their 7 week course. If you go through Stevens, you will owe them $4,995 if you quit during your first year. If you are unemployed, a veteran, on welfare etc., you may be able to get aide from the state to pay for the class.

If you live in or near Houston, you can commute back and forth to HCC. The advantage of this to you would being able to stay at home for the 3 weeks of training. If you go to Dallas you will be there for 3 weeks, out with a trainer for 5 weeks, and then out with another student for 3 more weeeks. So you won't see home again for almost 3 months........

Bottom line, if you have the time and money, you are far better off taking the 7 week class from HCC. This will allow you more time to learn how to drive a truck and give you more options after graduation.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Larry. I'm not in a position of leisure so I'll be taking the 3 week class and I do live in the area. I'm assuming I'll be taught and certified in all the endorsements or will it be condensed to suit reefer trucks only?
Thanks,
rtstxes
Old 10-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Board Regular

You will learn everything that you need to know to get your CDL at HCC. Go over to your nearest DPS office and ask for a copy of the CDL study manual. Study the general knowledge, air brakes and special requirements sections. Don't worry about HazMat, etc; you won't need them for Stevens.

This will give you a head start on things at school. Don't take the test yet though. Wait until after you start classes, because they want you to take your written test and road test at the same DPS office to avoid your paperwork from being screwed up.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:23 AM
Rookie

I have all the study material and I have been studying for the last couple of weeks. I'm starting class Monday. I talked with Stevens Thursday morning and that afternoon they offered me the schooling. Things are moving quickly and that's fine. Have you driven for them?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:00 AM
Board Regular

I went to HCC back in July with Stevens. Everything in Houston went fine, got my CDL and went to Dallas to go out with a trainer for 5 weeks. My trainer and I didn?t "click" to say the least. So I got mad and went home after 3 weeks. I could have asked for another trainer, but I didn?t.

I then got hired by PAM and went out with another trainer for 4 weeks and everything went smoothly for me. I now have my own truck and life is good Although, I make a little more money now than I would have at Stevens, I owe them $4,995 for the school. This is why I suggested that you find a way to pay for it yourself, if you could.

A lot of things can happen during the year you will be under a contract with them.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:22 PM

HCC also offers a 12 week evening course that allows you to keep working while going to school. This is what I'm going to start in January. It's a month longer but be able to work though it will help out a lot.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Rookie
Default stevens tranpsort

I appreciate the feedback everyone. All advice is well taken but I'm not in a position to pay for the training myself so I'm "selling my soul" sort of speak.

I'm in for the long haul, maybe with a song and a prayer everything will work out.

However the first day got off badly, they closed the campus due to the weather so we'll have a saturday make-up day. The pre-trip inspection procedure copy is terrible. I had to do some web searching to find a better copy. Myself and others asked for a better one, we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for your help.