User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My 2nd Week Training with Swift/Mentor

i am in my 2nd week of training with swift and my mentor. but i feel as if i haven't learned a thing. all my mentor does is watch movies, play xbox. talk to his wife on the phone, canvas truck stops for lot lizards and sleep while i'm driving. this dude has not really shown me one thing. my backing still sucks and my downshifting isn't the greatest. i think i'm going to call driver services and request a new mentor because this is crazy. has anyone else have this kind of experience with a Swift trainer
Old 09-27-2006, 03:44 AM
Board Regular

Unfortunately Dogg.......it's not uncommon at Swift. You need to call your driver coordinator and request a new trainer and be specific about why. Swift's trainers are paid extra for your millage and many see it as a just a way to bump their paycheck, and haven't a clue what it means to be a trainer or what they should do.

Sounds like you got one of the 6 months wonders who figured he would increase his pay with your miles and that's the only thing he's concerned with.............this is one thing I disliked at Swift, even though I had an excellent trainer, who was dedicated to thoroughly training his students....he demanded your best and he gave his best, it wasn't until the last week or next to last that we started running a team situation, up until that time we drove my HOS limit then shut down for the night..........he dogged me on my paper work and improving my skills...........unfortunately, I understand he has since retired to his gentleman's farm in MS...........

Call your training coordinator and request a new trainer.......if you don't get any action, call the trainer coordinator.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:18 AM
Board Regular
Default bye

good luck
Old 09-27-2006, 04:39 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

With the stories I've heard about Swift Training, there is no training going on there. I suggest that no one goes to swift. If the trainee is supposed to train himself, there is no need for a trainer. And, in theory, the trainee will never be qualified to drive solo. Years ago, there were guys that started driving with no training at all. In actual practice, the trainee will eventually get it down, but the company is opening itself up to serious liability and the trainee as well.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:13 AM
Senior Board Member

You guys act like there is a shred of difference between all of these companies and seem to be buying all of these complete horror stories. While that's pretty convenient, its not very smart nor realistic. Swift is no better nor any worse than 99.999% of the other training companies out there and everyone knows it. I've seen the same trainers and the same student horror stories from almost every fleet from the ones with the worst reputations. These stories are not completely wrong nor are they normally completely right. :roll:
Old 09-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
You guys act like there is a shred of difference between all of these companies and seem to be buying all of these complete horror stories. While that's pretty convenient, its not very smart nor realistic. Swift is no better nor any worse than 99.999% of the other training companies out there and everyone knows it. I've seen the same trainers and the same student horror stories from almost every fleet from the ones with the worst reputations. These stories are not completely wrong nor are they normally completely right. :roll:
I have got to disagree with you 110% There are a few other companies that have a MUCH better training program than Swift. SNI has about one of the best, if not THE best.

I will say that not every company is perfect, or even near it. Every company is going to have the yo yo's at driver trainers. But I think history has proved that Swift has the worse training program in the business.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:05 AM
Board Regular
Default swift and werner would tie on that one

swift and werner would tie. swift instructor asleep while driver in seat and in wrong lane in isolated area instructor forced to resign student sent packing. but not too many students leave swift like that. swift hires anyone who walks thru doors and if they drink they don't care. werner has no drinking policy but some of there trainers are as bad or worse then swift. driving w/ werner owner opeator trainer made me operate unsafe trailer w/bald tire on i-35 in ks stopped by hwy patrol and they followed me 2 get tire repaired, only reason i only got an out of service violation instead of ticket? cuz i said yes sir, no sir and literally explained i was a new student. same problem same stupid trainer few days later he is driving now, he pulls over in an unsafe area and does not move truck until break down sends a repairman 2 fix tire on trailer what kind of junk is that? so learn to say no and always call safety if someone wants you to operate an unsafe truck and don't be afraid to say no!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I have got to disagree with you 110% There are a few other companies that have a MUCH better training program than Swift.
There are LOTS of others believe it or not that have worse training than swift...Swift aint great, Swift probably isn't even "good" when compared to "real" training that USED to be offered by some companies.

Quote:
SNI has about one of the best, if not THE best.
I'll agree, have you ever heard some of the trash talking about them? Their trainers are at least trained TO trained and screened.

Quote:
I will say that not every company is perfect, or even near it. Every company is going to have the yo yo's at driver trainers.
And every fleet (especially those who "give people a chance") is going to end up with a whole lot of losers and scumbags that have no business in trucking at all. And they will whine a cry to ANYONE that will sit still logn enough to hear it.

Quote:
But I think history has proved that Swift has the worse training program in the business.
I've seen too much of the industry and been involved in training to think even remotely that this statement is true.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Every training company has it's share of horror stories. It's the nature of the business. Some people actually care about teaching and training the new guy on the block, others are simply in it for the extra cash it brings in. Stevens was no exception. I remember hearing horror stories about a Stevens trainer with the handle "Kingpin" who would have been better named "Pig-pen" because he kept the sleeper in horrible condition. Slept on top of old magazines and garbage in his bunk. OTOH, my trainer was excellent. He was patient but firm and I owe a lot to the man. Last I heard he had gone to work for Crete, decided to get out of the reefer business.

I was approached at one time to become a trainer but I declined since I prefer to be solo, though I would have no problem with my wife on the truck, lol.

Back in 2001 I tried to get a job with Merrit at the Wal-Mart DC in Los Lunas, NM. I was turned down due to a speeding ticket (personal vehicle) and accident on my record (truck). I was talking to a Swift-formerly-Merrit owner operator who was dropping a meat/produce load at the WM I work at and was telling me the "growing pains" of being brought under Swift (told to have his truck speed set at 65 mph, warnings about more DOT checks, etc.). He told me that if I applied there today I'd probably have been hired on the spot, lol.

I've been tempted to go back into driving, with Swift, no less, if only to get on that Wal-Mart fleet. Too bad I had to surrender my CDL when I moved back to NM from Iowa.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Board Icon

It's not jut the horror stories I've heard on here. And, I would hate to have to count the number of times I've been out of my truck to help a Swift trainee or C R England trainee back into a spot in a truck stop. Trainers were sleeping in the bunk. There was even one that was having a GRAND TIME trying to back out of a space and I ended up beating the H#!! out of the sleeper to wake him up. There are other companies that I get to see the trainer alongside the truck when the trainee is backing in. From what I've seen, Swift has one of the very worst records in the industry. I'm guessing that Fozzy may be out of touch with that aspect of the industry.