User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
It's not jut the horror stories I've heard on here. And, I would hate to have to count the number of times I've been out of my truck to help a Swift trainee or C R England trainee back into a spot in a truck stop. Trainers were sleeping in the bunk. There was even one that was having a GRAND TIME trying to back out of a space and I ended up beating the H#!! out of the sleeper to wake him up. There are other companies that I get to see the trainer alongside the truck when the trainee is backing in. From what I've seen, Swift has one of the very worst records in the industry. I'm guessing that Fozzy may be out of touch with that aspect of the industry.
My trainer had a pair of those 2 way radios. He'd get out and let me know how I was doing. He also refused to pass me unless I learned how to float shift. :lol:
Old 09-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Board Regular
Default Speaking from experience . .

. . your Swift training experience will be exactly what YOU and your mentor(s) make of it. I had two pretty good trainers (pre mentor era). Neither of these guys ever went to bed before they were comfortable with me under the circumstances I was likely to encounter. They weren't always in the sleeper. For instance, they would tell me where to stop or when to wake them before getting off the interstate or getting to final or whatever. They would hop in the seat and keep an eye on me to satisfy themselves that I wasn't going to wreck the truck or kill them. When we finished doing what we had to do and the situation was right they or I would hop in the sleeper and onward we went. If we wound up at shipper/receiver with room to maneuver and trailers to practice on, we would do just that . . practice, practice, practice until I had cramps in my shins. While a lot of my backing at truck stops looked like practice . . well, thank goodness it was low speed . .

A big part of how we ran had to do with my confidence in myself, their confidence in me and our willingness to communicate with each other. If they saw I needed help, regardless of how I felt, I would get it. If I thought I needed help, they would give it until we were both satisfied that I was getting the hang of it. I spent my first 5 weeks running the Northwest during one of the nastiest winters they'd had in years. I'll bet we chained up a dozen times. We hauled heavy trailers. This guy wasn't about to let this rookie run heavy, down a two lane road at night in the snow until I demonstrated I had the skills, the nerve and the sense to do it. When I mentioned to my training manager that I wasn't getting any trip planning experience . . boom, trainer switch . . out of the northwest we rolled and over the road we went.

Since then, I've driven 275,000 + miles, had zero moving violations, one scale violation (weight misstated on the BOL and still my fault) and one preventable where I clipped an empty trailer with mine and caused a couple hundred dollars worth of damage. If there hadn't been a witness, I wouldn't have any preventables . . .

Ask your driver/training manager what the procedure is. I didn't have the problem so don't have the experience. The biggest consequence I can think of, they may make you wait, possibly send you home until another trainer becomes available. So, if you can't work it out with the guy you're with and I mean work it out because the biggest mistake you can make is to settle for second best, then be prepared to sit. It's worth it. It is your neck on the line. Swift is no different than any large organization . . there are some shitty people in very important positions.

As for the posters who seem to have an uncanny insight to a company you know nothing about, try keeping your comments a little more constructive. If I've seen a thousand guys who couldn't back a truck I'll guess less than 5% were Swift. If I've seen a hundred trucks on their side or upside down, not ONE has been Swift. I have seen plenty of horribly wrecked Swift trucks parked at terminals (why do they bring them there?) but I have yet to see a Swift truck in a really bad way on (or near) the road. If I've seen 200 (per month) fender benders, bonehead maneuvers (or attempts) at truck stops, a minuscule number have been Swift (including my own). The reason I notice is the same reason you do . . Swift is so big, and so conspicuous, how could you not notice? You can't criticize the can hauler driving a 15 year old rebuild because you can't read the name scrawled in the bondo.

The guys you need to look out for are the knuckleheads with no formal training and worse, the uberknuckleheads whose only training has been to learn the bad habits of the knuckleheads mentioned earlier.

One more thing . . my co-driver on the student /student experience had a lousy trainer on a dedicated route. Other than learning how to hold the wheel and find a few of the gears, this guy learned nothing. I was able to help him a little bit but was always nervous when it was his turn to drive at night . . at all, really. He went to work for the dedicated division he trained with and washed out after a few months. That should give a little ray of hope to all of you . . Yes, they are out there, they're easy to spot and fortunately, they won't be around for long.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:01 AM
Rookie

I am currently with swift in the mentor phase and I just fired my mentor after 16 days. He would through fits and throw things and swear while I was driving making me extremely uncomfortable. This was in South Carolina. I just now got off of greyhound and am attached to the troutdale, OR one and go back out with a new mentor tomorrow to finish 26 days. I hope I get a better one. On the plus side don't hesitate to fire them. Its a no questions asked deal and you will be placed quickly with a new mentor. I have no problems with swift as of yet. A bad mentor is not Swifts fault as the guy I had was a senior mentor and had been driving since the 60's. Bad training is the fault of the trainer flat out. Not the trucking company.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:01 AM
Rookie

I am currently with swift in the mentor phase and I just fired my mentor after 16 days. He would through fits and throw things and swear while I was driving making me extremely uncomfortable. This was in South Carolina. I just now got off of greyhound and am attached to the troutdale, OR one and go back out with a new mentor tomorrow to finish 26 days. I hope I get a better one. On the plus side don't hesitate to fire them. Its a no questions asked deal and you will be placed quickly with a new mentor. I have no problems with swift as of yet. A bad mentor is not Swifts fault as the guy I had was a senior mentor and had been driving since the 60's. Bad training is the fault of the trainer flat out. Not the trucking company.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:09 AM
Default Re: My 2nd Week Training with Swift/Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrevdogg
i am in my 2nd week of training with swift and my mentor. but i feel as if i haven't learned a thing. all my mentor does is watch movies, play xbox. talk to his wife on the phone, canvas truck stops for lot lizards and sleep while i'm driving. this dude has not really shown me one thing. my backing still sucks and my downshifting isn't the greatest. i think i'm going to call driver services and request a new mentor because this is crazy. has anyone else have this kind of experience with a Swift trainer
That is the kind of mentor you want and trust me on this one. I guess "almost" the kind of mentor you want, not that he should not do anything but sleep, but you know what I mean. All schneider had was some work aholic that ran me into the mud non-stop and almost made me give up. This guy would not stop for anything, not to eat, not for nothing. I did not even have time to call family and friends. My friend had the same experience with his trainer at schneider, he absolutely hated it. You may think you are not learning anything but you are. You are driving right? Backing and downshifting, that will come in time so relax, learn and have fun. Requesting another mentor just may be a big mistake.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:25 AM
Rookie

What's a lot lizard?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:04 AM
Board Regular

As for as training companies go, Swift isn?t any better or any worse than any of the other companies out there and, indeed, is better than a lot of them. All companies have problems with trainers and training and if you believe otherwise, then I?m sorry you?re either extremely na?ve or else you have a grudge out against Swift for some odd reason.

I also find it very amusing that it always seems to be the same exact people who never worked a day in their lives for Swift that are always the most critical, most biased, and have the loudest voices with the wildest hearsay stories when it comes to speaking out against Swift.

Some of you guys almost make it sound as if Swift goes out of its way just to corner the market on bad trainers and bad drivers. Like there is some sort of devious unspoken profit motive to be had by short changing students and short cutting training, which is more than a little hilarious to me if you understand the business.

Like you never know for sure beforehand what kind of a driver an individual is going to make until you actually hire them and try them out, you never know beforehand what kind of trainer an individual is going to make until you actually let them train and find out.

Oh sure?you can try to weed out the riff raff beforehand, but no matter how much you try to screen and sift through drivers, a certain percentage of riff raff will still manage to sneak in, and when they do, management is completely at the mercy of the feedback that comes back in from the students and to also whatever tracking and monitoring systems that they have in place.

Moreover, sometimes the students are extremely na?ve and aren?t sharp enough or experienced enough to be able to tell or know the difference between what is abuse and what is quality training. Other students, on the other hand, have been around the block a few times already and know immediately when they are getting the shaft. Everything is relative and dependent on a good pipeline and flow of student feedback coupled with a good and stringent trainer tracking and monitoring program. It?s always an ongoing and never-ending process.

Indeed, I?ve personally talked to many a young driver out there who when they described their training process to me it was very obvious that they were very much used and abused, but at the same time these young drivers thought the world of their trainers, thought they received excellent training, and never ever realized that they had gotten short changed and shafted. I?m sure years down the road as they grow older, smarter, and wiser, as most of us do with age and experience, a lot of them will eventually come to realize that they got shafted.

In any event, if any one company has figured the screening process out and has only 100 percent excellent trainers, then I?d like to hear about it, right after I?d like to hear about what it is you are smoking.

Meanwhile, the best thing training companies can do is to warn students beforehand about some of the perils and problems that can happen during training and what to look out far. Then offer them an out. An easy way that they can fire their trainers no questions asked and get a new one, which Swift does in spades!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Rookie
Default Swift training

I recently got done with school am going back on the 4th for oriantation I gotta say he is right. Our truck was broke so we set at the terminal in Millington for 2 hours and I heard horror stories about the mentors. If I could find a company I could use my CDL and go out with a different Mentor I would I'm a female also and those mentors are no different. Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member

dito, there are good and bad mentors, my mentor was dedicated, but still, tought me most of what i'd get otr, routes were prety regular but route planning wasn't an issue with me. My swift instructor tought me well, and even helped me after we parted company, not to mention all the other truckers that showed pity on the newbee, lol
Old 09-30-2006, 11:55 PM

Some of you people are saying Schneider has the best training hands down and all others compared to it are not very good at all. I have heard just as many bad things about Schneider as I have with Swift and Werner, so I don't know where some of you are getting your information from. I must be out of the circuit here or something I guess.

Seems that all the big companies are the same to me. Its very similar to being the president of the US: No matter what you do, half the country will agree with you and half will always disagree with you. Half a company's employees will usually be content with their employer, half usually won't. Same thing here. People that are disappointed with these companies are the ones that are most likely to speak up. If you thought the company was great, why would you ever speak up about that?

My bottom line is it seems to me they are all VERY similar in MANY ways.