Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Speed Traps at Night in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedb28
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2
I've heard that the police are very strict in enforcing the reduced truck speed limit in California. Is this just during the daytime or are they just as strict at night (2am) when there are more trucks and fewer 4 wheels on the road?
This has nothing to with trucking, but I was a young LCPL in the Marine Corps stationed at Camp Pendelton in the mid 70's. I took leave, went home and bought a Corvette. I had no idea how long it would take to get back to Camp Pendleton so I pretty much speeded across four states, Texas to California. I made pretty good time so once I crossed into California I slowed down to about 10 miles above the speed limit. I had no problems to that point, I guess I was lucky because I was going 80 mph to 100 mph. Anyway, I slowed down and was just cruising, I was looking out for cops and there were none around. All of a sudden there were lights, headlights, then overhead lights behind me. CHP didn't have radar, the sucker was pacing me with his lights off in the middle of the night and snuck up behind me.
I think I would have fought that one for 2 reasons, one if he doesnt have at least parking lights on its entrapment in most states.
the second, he had to drive in the dark without his headlights on to pace you, thats illegal for me to do, so it is him too. If a cop passes me doing 100 mph with no lights on and im in my car i get right behind him and tag along. Hes breaking the law and ive never had one so much as slow down because i was tagging along
I was guilty. None of his actions made me speed.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Downhill Speed

Back on subject ...

Again watch your downhill speed. Just saw last night 3 trucks pulled over on the Grapevine and additional trucks pulled over on Cajon pass exceeding the truck speed limit. Maybe the CHP is on a campaign enforcing the truck speed on these passes. I saw extra patrols.

For those that say "Hey 62 is OK .. " well 62 in a 35 is well over 15 MPH over the speed limit and goes into excessive speeding.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Speed Traps at Night in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2
If a cop passes me doing 100 mph with no lights on and im in my car i get right behind him and tag along. Hes breaking the law and ive never had one so much as slow down because i was tagging along
I've had them holler at me to slow down ,over their loud speaker, when I've done that before.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Downhill Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
Back on subject ...

Again watch your downhill speed. Just saw last night 3 trucks pulled over on the Grapevine and additional trucks pulled over on Cajon pass exceeding the truck speed limit. Maybe the CHP is on a campaign enforcing the truck speed on these passes. I saw extra patrols.

For those that say "Hey 62 is OK .. " well 62 in a 35 is well over 15 MPH over the speed limit and goes into excessive speeding.
I don't belive anyone said the 62 in a 35 was okay. Speeding down that hill is just askin for a ticket, they're always around!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911

yeah, gordon paid me by the hour one day down in LA when I was doing some local "favors" for them... I was begging for traffic and I wasn't dissapointed!
Yes, LA traffic can suck on an epic scale. I'm not stranger to traffic having lived in Sac and the Bay Area, but So-Cal takes it to another level.

Our line drivers down in LA there are paid by the hour.

What drives me crazy is the traffic on 80 west due to the lane ending @ Auburn/Riverside in roseville. Everyone who lives anywhere close knows that the lane ends but they all want to wait till the last second. What makes it even worse is local drivers who ride the shoulder until the last second. What you do is, after you pass the scale get two lanes over and you'll be good...

But in reality, sac traffic is nothing. Perhaps its because I live here and I know usually how long it's going to last for but it's nothing like the Bay (I've lived there too). Everyone just get's upset with sac traffic heading east probably because They were on 5 or 80 west for a while cruising at a pretty good speed and then, WHAM. Dead stop traffic.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Downhill Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
Back on subject ...

Pretty sure everyone is talking about going 62 in a 55, not a 35. Doing anything faster than 35 on the grapvine is just looking for trouble whether you're heavy or light.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I've always done 62 mph in CA with no problems, used to do 65 all the time but got a few friendly warnings by the CHP passing me and shining their side lights on me.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floored
I've always done 62 mph in CA with no problems, used to do 65 all the time but got a few friendly warnings by the CHP passing me and shining their side lights on me.
Never had them do that to me, I have had them pull out ~100yards in front of me one lane to the left and then gradually slow down.

But then again I'm almost always running late at night when there are less CHPs out and about and the emphasis in on DUIs. Outside of the captive CHP for the construction zones I have not seen a CHP actually waiting for a "customer" for a few weeks now on 80.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:

..and the truth shall set you free

I know you did not do 62 mph going NB down the Grapvine into bakersfield in the 35mph truck zone. And it all depends on where you are at in Ca if they will let you get away with 62 or not
Old 09-23-2006, 05:19 PM

Those of us who run California every week know where we can do 62 mph in a 55 zone. Its the other drivers who don't run out here that much, are the ones who get into trouble w/CHP. I had a CHP tell me that they don't worry about 60-62ish. But 65+ is another subject.