User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

quote]I've always thought that California speed enforcement and Illinois speed enforcement was much the same.[/quote]

(Now to start a flaming war :lol: )

No, CA LEOs and Illinois LEO are much different. CA LEOs are suave, debonair and Hollywood cool. Plus their looks don't scare the women and children.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:40 AM
Board Regular

It all depends on how hungry the LEO is at the moment. We watched a driver get pulled over on I-40 for doing 61mph (the driver said on the CB "Uh Oh I guess I shouldn't have pushed the 61 mark") because he was in the left lane and he was slowly passing us (we were doing about 59). The CHP officier tore after him like he was doing 110mph, dirt was flying! I guess he had to catch up on his quota.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 AM
Board Regular

At night I-5 from Grapevine to Stockton is a race course for trucks. Get in the pack and let her rip :lol:
Old 09-21-2006, 06:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintama
At night I-5 from Grapevine to Stockton is a race course for trucks. Get in the pack and let her rip :lol:
Exactly...

Pretty much the whole part of 5 on any night is a race track especially into the wee hours. My favorite part is the canyon from redding to Weed... The rest is pretty much boring. Just be sure to go slow through redding no matter what. People drive all kinds of speeds out here. I rarely see anyone going 55 other than a local truck or day cab. Mostly everyone goes 60 and less and then theres always the guy from the east coast that passes you hauling A$$...
Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I have been driving I80 in my POV a lot lately and the favorite places seems to be those down hill runs where the CHP sets up. I noticed the same thing for trucks if you keep it within 5 mph of the PSL then your OK.

Coming west bound out of the mountains it is easy to let your speed climb so take care of your brakes! On some of those longer down hill steep grades all you can smell is cooking brakes from the big rigs! It isn't pretty.

After it gets dark in CA the motorists become complete lunatics. I hate driving in CA after dark in the more congested areas. I don't know how those people get licenses to drive!

Longsnowsm
Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
Exactly...

Pretty much the whole part of 5 on any night is a race track especially into the wee hours. My favorite part is the canyon from redding to Weed... The rest is pretty much boring. Just be sure to go slow through redding no matter what. People drive all kinds of speeds out here. I rarely see anyone going 55 other than a local truck or day cab. Mostly everyone goes 60 and less and then theres always the guy from the east coast that passes you hauling A$$...
The guys in day cabs are on the clock, its amazing how getting paid by the hour promotes respect for the speed limit.

On NB5 once you're out of the mountains near Weed until the bill uphill climb is a good spot to open it up. The fastest I've ever driven a POV was on this stretch going back to Grants Pass four years ago.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
Quote:
Exactly...

The guys in day cabs are on the clock, its amazing how getting paid by the hour promotes respect for the speed limit.

On NB5 once you're out of the mountains near Weed until the bill uphill climb is a good spot to open it up. The fastest I've ever driven a POV was on this stretch going back to Grants Pass four years ago.

yeah, gordon paid me by the hour one day down in LA when I was doing some local "favors" for them... I was begging for traffic and I wasn't dissapointed!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:26 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintama
Exactly...

...with the CHP right on his tail trying to get a wiff of the fumes...
Old 09-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

yeah, gordon paid me by the hour one day down in LA when I was doing some local "favors" for them... I was begging for traffic and I wasn't dissapointed!
Yes, LA traffic can suck on an epic scale. I'm not stranger to traffic having lived in Sac and the Bay Area, but So-Cal takes it to another level.

Our line drivers down in LA there are paid by the hour.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Speed Traps at Night in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2
I've heard that the police are very strict in enforcing the reduced truck speed limit in California. Is this just during the daytime or are they just as strict at night (2am) when there are more trucks and fewer 4 wheels on the road?
This has nothing to with trucking, but I was a young LCPL in the Marine Corps stationed at Camp Pendelton in the mid 70's. I took leave, went home and bought a Corvette. I had no idea how long it would take to get back to Camp Pendleton so I pretty much speeded across four states, Texas to California. I made pretty good time so once I crossed into California I slowed down to about 10 miles above the speed limit. I had no problems to that point, I guess I was lucky because I was going 80 mph to 100 mph. Anyway, I slowed down and was just cruising, I was looking out for cops and there were none around. All of a sudden there were lights, headlights, then overhead lights behind me. CHP didn't have radar, the sucker was pacing me with his lights off in the middle of the night and snuck up behind me.
I think I would have fought that one for 2 reasons, one if he doesnt have at least parking lights on its entrapment in most states.
the second, he had to drive in the dark without his headlights on to pace you, thats illegal for me to do, so it is him too. If a cop passes me doing 100 mph with no lights on and im in my car i get right behind him and tag along. Hes breaking the law and ive never had one so much as slow down because i was tagging along