User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
I know you did not do 62 mph going NB down the Grapvine into bakersfield in the 35mph truck zone. And it all depends on where you are at in Ca if they will let you get away with 62 or not
Dude WTF, you must think I'm stupid or something. Geez. I never once said I did 62mph in a posted 35mph speed zone for trucks.

I've run 62 on basically every highway in this state and haven't had a problem ever. Not saying it can't happen, but I've always been one of the lucky ones, and my past experience tells me that unless you get a cop thats a major stickler on the speed limit they will let you go at 62 mph.

But hey, drive how you want to drive. If you want to go 55 fine. If you want to do 80 down the grapevine be my guest. No skin off my back.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have been pulled over once in Turlock county for doing close to 80 in the far left lane on 99. ChP gave me 2 tickets. One for being in the 3rd lane and one for a bad tire. He only gave me a warning on the speed and told me to keep it under 15mph over the 55mph limit. He was really nice about it too. Like others said,DO NOT exceed the limit on ANY mountain pass in Ca. What you can get away with in Ca. depends entirely on the individual CHP officer. Universally you can do under 65 even with the most overzealous Chp officer. Some will let you get away with a little more,especially in So. Cal.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It depends on the situation. A friend of mine got a ticket somewhere around Ontario for doing 57 mph.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It depends on the situation. A friend of mine got a ticket somewhere around Ontario for doing 57 mph.
Was it a local or CHP? I found the local cops don't cut you ANY slack in the LA area.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
I have been pulled over once in Turlock county for doing close to 80 in the far left lane on 99. ChP gave me 2 tickets. One for being in the 3rd lane and one for a bad tire. He only gave me a warning on the speed and told me to keep it under 15mph over the 55mph limit. He was really nice about it too. Like others said,DO NOT exceed the limit on ANY mountain pass in Ca. What you can get away with in Ca. depends entirely on the individual CHP officer. Universally you can do under 65 even with the most overzealous Chp officer. Some will let you get away with a little more,especially in So. Cal.
You were lucky, getting a ticket for 25 over is seriously career limiting. That's WAY too fast for that stretch of road in any vehicle, much less a truck. If you were involved in an accident at that speed you would likely be looking at jail time.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
You were lucky, getting a ticket for 25 over is seriously career limiting. That's WAY too fast for that stretch of road in any vehicle, much less a truck. If you were involved in an accident at that speed you would likely be looking at jail time.
Lucky? Hell he must have been really good on his knees and swallowed to boot.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Board Regular

That wasn't the only time I got a break from ChP. I got pulled over once on I-40 for 72 in a 55. He wrote me a ticket for 65 in a 55 and told me the same exact thing. Keep it under 15mph over the limit. The last time I got pulled over in Ca. was on I-8 in San Diego county for 73 in a 55. History repeated itself. Got written up for 65 in a 55. I was able to take traffic school for ALL three tickets and got them dismissed. Keeping it under 15mph over the limit seems to be the main tolerance in southern cal. I haven't ran northern cal. in ages. Speed limits are mainly a revenue generator. They are not always about safety. :roll: