User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 02:53 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TO RAT OR NOT TO RAT. SITUATIONAL ETHICS

Out of sight, out of mind. It would have been between me and my God.

If you bumped a pole with your car and dented the bumper would you turn it into your insurance - probably not.

This is an old thread, but could open interesting discussions regarding what your company needs to know. Shippers beat the crap out of dedicated drop hook trailers without any consequences. But for some reason drivers feel obligated to rat on themselves for every little bump.

Newbies keep themselves stuck with dirt bag companies by reporting every little thing back to the company. They end up with a bunch of nonsense on their DAC and can't get a decent job.

In the words of the late great Chic, "no harm, no foul."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan4201
First off I'm a total newbie :roll:

In trying to set up for a dock back, I ran over a concrete barrier with the trailer damaging some of the cross members - managed to get it off the barrier and completed the dock and unload.

The trailer is cosmetically damaged - but fully functional. The consignee's property is not damaged and they neglected to even take a report. I reported it to my company and expect to have a determination of fault made against me.

It was my mistake and in hindsight I realize what I did wrong and what to do in the future to avoid a repeat.

Since this was a "preventable" accident (isn't that a contradiction)

Does the company report this accident on my DAC?

If they do report it - how would I know?

If it is reported - is there anyway for me to enter my side of the incident?

Thanks for any and all responses.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toner
there is a way you can post a rebuttal - i think you have to call DAC and speak with someone there.

as far as the information they place on your dac - that depends. some companines only list the # of preventable and non-preventable accidents, some put more info. if they do put more info, it may look like this (this is a hypothetical, i'm making up the actual info but the style and categories are straight from a DAC sitting on my desk right now)

Accident/Incedent # 1
Date: 4/25/2005
DOT Recordable: No
City, State: Tulsa, OK
Injuries: 0
Fatalities: 0
HAZMAT: No
Description: Backing
Preventable Accident/Incedent

Also, I don't see how a preventable accident is a contradiction. If you were driving along, and a giant elephant fell out of the sky 3 ft in front of your tractor, and you hit it - that would be nonpreventable. it wasn't your fault, and you didn't have adequate time to stop before you had tusks thru your windshield. however, if there was an elephant behind you, it was stationary, and you backed into it - it's preventable. it was what YOU were doing in the truck at the time of the accident that determines a preventable or non preventable accident (right? that makes sense to me anyway).
Preventable or non preventable accident? All accidents with no exception are preventable.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Creek but what if your parked and some dip backs into you. Preventable on their part but not yours.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:52 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson

Preventable or non preventable accident? All accidents with no exception are preventable.
Boy is that an arrogant statement. Right about the time a person utter's such nonsense the "rusty rod of reality" get's stuck up their rear end.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 PM

ok! say your doing your final testing with a company, and you hit a concrete barrier backing and done some minor damage to the tractor. does that go on your dac report, even though your on their property? also, they let you go for hitting the barrier? just wanted to know
Old 01-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: DAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobotox
What does DAC actually stand for? I asked my instructor at cdl school and she didn't know.

it stands for Drive-A-check. they are now usis, which is united states information service.

it probably wont do any good to post a rebuttal. that is only for if a company reports something that isnt true, if a prospective employer wants the details, they will ask.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver
Quote:

Boy is that an arrogant statement. Right about the time a person utter's such nonsense the "rusty rod of reality" get's stuck up their rear end.
"mba".... I agree with you! That statement he made sounds like something uttered by some brainless 21 yr old twit right out of college....who lucked out and got a job in "Safety or Dispatch", who couldn't even figure out how to start a tractor!!

There is a significant difference between a "preventable" and "non-preventable" accident or incident. It boils down to a matter of control or non-control of the vehicle or circumstances.

I guess by "Creek's" standards....if he was sleeping in a truckstop, in the sleeper berth, and the person parked next to him pulled out and raked his tractor and ripped the hood off leaving it on the ground.....he would say it was his fault for lack of anything else....because he was born and happened to be there?

I would have to award him a t-shirt with this on both front and back: :withstupid:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver
Quote:

"mba".... I agree with you! That statement he made sounds like something uttered by some brainless 21 yr old twit right out of college....who lucked out and got a job in "Safety or Dispatch", who couldn't even figure out how to start a tractor!!

There is a significant difference between a "preventable" and "non-preventable" accident or incident. It boils down to a matter of control or non-control of the vehicle or circumstances.

I guess by "Creek's" standards....if he was sleeping in a truckstop, in the sleeper berth, and the person parked next to him pulled out and raked his tractor and ripped the hood off leaving it on the ground.....he would say it was his fault for lack of anything else....because he was born and happened to be there?

I would have to award him a t-shirt with this on both front and back: :withstupid:
maybe he means preventable on the part of the person who caused it? after all, in your example, the driver who took your hood could have prevented it, but you couldnt..

or, maybe he is just an ass??
Old 01-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog

maybe he means preventable on the part of the person who caused it? after all, in your example, the driver who took your hood could have prevented it, but you couldnt..

or, maybe he is just an ass??
Not sure.....he certainly didn't clarify it.....so I guess its about 50/50? 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:22 AM

I had 2 drivers back into my truck twice in one week. I wasn't in the truck either time. One in Cali and one in Texas. I told my boss (he also owns the truck) about the first one. He said I shoudn't have parked in a parking spot in a truck stop. I wasn't even on the end where a truck could rip my hood off with his swing.
Anyway No more than 500 dollars damage on both. I didn't tell him about the second one till I got back. I wanted him to tell me to my face it was my fault. Needless to say his tone was way different when I wasn't 2000 miles away.