User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
Truck driving-esp. backing is all about taking a good look while setting up for a maneuver and then going by memory if theres something in your path or not and what line you have to take to get it in there...Just keep checking your mirrors tomake sure nothing gets in the way and to check your tragectory by the points of reference you took note of while setting up.
GOAL is for people with bad memories or no 3d thinking skills...and of course if you get the feeling youre getting close to something.

I say this because getting a barrier tall enough to damage crossmembers signifies a big miscalculation. Keep an eye on those crossmembers, esp. with a heavy load and while the forklift is running over them. Have them fixed asap, they are a dot violation.
this last part is 100% important-- check those crossmembers--broken/damaged rails are dot violation- and/or you could have a trailer break in half going down the street.
I agree with most of what ONE says--but, I do believe GOAL is sound Safety Advice which all of us-reguardless of experience level should consider. One of the biggest problem a beginner driver faces while backing- is other people get impatient WAITING for you--- this can quickly
change that "mental" image of what's actually behind you---if it's taking you a little longer to back in-- it might be a good ideal to get out and look it over again. Also, many older docks have protuding sharp objects that can tare off a door or very least damage it. Get Out and Investigate the dock you're going to back against.
Last but not least---remember a clean Mirror is a happy accident free Mirror-- you'd be suprised how much more you can see---with CLEAN mirrors.