User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Future Pilot

Hello. I am training to become a pilot and have reached a point where I either have to take out a loan or save some money to continue on with my training. I am leaning towards working to save the money. I have decided to investigate trucking further and was hoping for some help with questions. I don't have any bills and think I could save up the 30,000 I need to finish school in about a year of trucking. I don't have any committments so I would be willing to work otr 7 days a week. My questions are:

Which company is the best for me if I have don't have a CDL yet? I am hoping to pull in 30k in 1 to 1 and a half years. Or less if it didn't take that long. I have looked at Werner and they seemed all right. One important aspect for me is getting the CDL quickly since I have been growing tired of being in school so much lately, a company that allows an accelerated paced towards a CDL would be appreciated. Any advice will be appreciated, I do understand trucking is a difficult profession and I have experience driving non-CDL requiring vehicles otr.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

You might try Millis out of Black River Falls, WI. I've seen one of their ads that says 3 weeks to your CDL. Personally, I do not think that is enough time, but it seems that they are doing it.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Board Regular

I'd go with Millis or Schneider. Also, I doubt you can pull in $30k in a year. Maybe in 18 months you could. I used to think I was going to take home about 30-40k my first year. But everyone here will tell you that is unlikely. So after doing some math, I'm expecting to net about $20k my first year; after taxes and living expenses. I have no bills either. And that is living on basic needs, as in not eating expensive truck stop meals every day. Work hard, safe, and spend your money wisely and it can be done. But prepare yourself for a totally different lifestyle.

Good luck.

p.s. It is my dream to become a helicopter pilot, but training is $50k for all the certifications. So I understand where you're coming from. I may decide to use the money I make in trucking to go that route. But by the time I get $50k saved up, I'd probably want to buy a house and start a family. I don't know though. I guess I'll see how bad I want it when the time comes.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I got my pilots license in early 70's for $10/hr including plane and instructor. It was through the Boy Scouts Explorer program and they picked up the rest of the tab!!!

The plane was a 1948 Colt Tripacer I think. The instructor smoked a big
fat cigar with the windows closed. We would do stalls and spins then we would land and I would puke!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Senior Board Member

I do not know where Adam 9513 works. On the May Trucking company web-site they state that potential income for the the first year is $45,000.

My husband is a newbie and has only been there less than a week. But his trainer said that before he was a trainer he was averaging 3000 miles a week.

Now if my husband once he is on his own can average 3,000 mile a week at .32 a mile that will gross $960.00 a week if he did average that his first year of income would be $51,930. All calculations include pay increases at 6 and 9 months.

In the middle is around 2,800 a week that would put his gross yearly at $48,468.

Even if he only made 2,500 miles a week gross income would be $43,275 a year with the pay increases at 6 and 9 months.

If he is frugal on the road with eating out it should not cost much more than eating at home plus we will have that as tax write-offs at the end of the year.

These calculations do not include his first three weeks to a month in training were he will only make $500.00 a week nor do they include the $100.00 a month for tuition reimbursement.

I will be updating the May Trucking Company thread and letting everyone know how many miles he drives weekly once he is on his own in a few weeks. This should give you a sense of what is possible. I know we kept wondering how many miles a week most do and this is a way for newbies to see.

So just do some checking but what Adam said seems very low!

Good Luck!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth

The plane was a 1948 Colt Tripacer I think. The instructor smoked a big
fat cigar with the windows closed. We would do stalls and spins then we would land and I would puke!
The most fun I ever had was going up in a two seat Cessna out of Van Nuys and doing aerobatics with a customer. It was a blast! I hope one day to be able to go again.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Board Regular

I'm not a trucker yet, and based on what a lot of people tell me, you won't always get consistent miles. .32 x 2500 = $800 x 4 = $3200 x 12 = $38400 GROSS first year. Then take away around 26% for taxes which will come out to $28416 then take away about $300 a month for food, laundry, showers, insurance, etc.. that gives you about $25k first year.. and that's if you get consistent 2500 weekly miles. So I think $20-25k NET is more realistic the 1st year. Anyway, I'm not getting my hopes up, but yeah, netting $30+k first year would be nice, but I don't expect to.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam9315
I'm not a trucker yet, and based on what a lot of people tell me, you won't always get consistent miles. .32 x 2500 = $800 x 4 = $3200 x 12 = $38400 GROSS first year. Then take away around 26% for taxes which will come out to $28416 then take away about $300 a month for food, laundry, showers, insurance, etc.. that gives you about $25k first year.. and that's if you get consistent 2500 weekly miles. So I think $20-25k NET is more realistic the 1st year. Anyway, I'm not getting my hopes up, but yeah, netting $30+k first year would be nice, but I don't expect to.
That calculation did not include the pay raise to .34cpm at 6 months and the raise at 9 months at .35cpm. Nor did it include the $1,200 in tuition reimbursement.

And you are forgetting that food, laundry, showers are all tax write-offs. $300.00 a month would be reasonable for what my husband may eat at home but without the write-off.

As I said I will update what is real on The May Trucking thread and how many miles my husband will do weekly once he is on his own.

Good luck to you!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 07-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam9315
your calculations are a little off because there are 52 weeks in a year not 48(4x12) you need to figure .32x2500=800 x 52= $41600
Old 08-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Rookie

Goin Fer It, you seem to have it all figured out. Just a piece of advice, don't start spending all that money just yet. I know the horror stories are just idiots who weren't as smart as you and your husband, but give your husband some time before you start banking on 2500-3000 miles EVERY week.

Give us his success story at month 3 or so.