User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Flying has got pretty old for me now and I only do it enough to be able to rent and stay current. I never got my instrument rating. Here is a pic of my plane with my mom sitting in it who by the way would NEVER dream of going up.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

[quote="Useless"]Do remember that you all are going to have one hell of a difficult time staying current if you take up driving; not only from am economic standpoint, but from a time standpoint as well.[/quot]

I agree and disagree. If you get with a reefer company that keeps you out for three or four weeks, or if you get with a company where you have to run non-stop to make the miles and money, then yes, it would be very hard to stay current... or, if you have some other expensive hobbies, liabilities, or dependants (car, house, family, etc), it would be financially difficult.

However, if you get with a company that you're home every weekend or every other weekend, can make decent money without running like a slave, and if that is your one expensive hobby, it's very doable. A bachelor with no house or car payments could afford a 1.5 hr flight every other weekend. An FBO near my home rents an IFR 172 for $70/hr wet. All you need is an afternoon or evening to do some landings, shoot some approaches, maybe do a couple maneuvers. The catch is that you have to be dedicated enough to it to WANT to go and spend the time and money.

A previous poster mentioned about things not being as they used to in the aviation industry. You definitey put a lot of money out to learn the skills, and then get a job that won't pay the bills for the training, plus dealing with a lot of BS (both in training and in the workplace). That's the case for a lot of college-trained professions now days. My philosophy is that as long as you are HAPPY in what you're doing and can pay the bills, that's what matters. If it's flying, go for it. If it becomes trucking, stay with it. As long as I can pay my student loans and be happy in what I'm doing to earn a living - whatever it is - I'll never regret the accoplishments of flight training.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Rookie

sorry double post
Old 08-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Board Regular

I saved $20k in 1 year after taxes. I dont have rent or a car.

Flight school sounds interesting. Do pilots make good money starting out?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahan
Do pilots make good money starting out?
No

Everyone knows of someone who is a major airline pilot that makes 200K and works 5 days a month. There are those that do, however, the problem is that these jobs are not and will not be replaced. Major airline pilots have taken massive pay cuts and the wage scales will not recover. The major airline pilots have agreed to keep as much as they can by letting companies outsource more and more of their flying to "code share" or commuter companies that are flying bigger and bigger regional jets for 25K a year and PAY more than that to be trained on the aircraft. UPS and Fedex pilots are the best paid now. Anyone that gets in this business now that thinks that they can get the right resume to get hired by either of these companies needs a lesson in humility. Plus, lower wages are coming to the cargo industry, that is the next thing to come.........

Also, a previous poster commented about the importance of doing what you want in spite of the low pay. I agree in principle, but those that choose to work for peanuts needlessly hurt themselves and everyone else in the industry as well. There was a time that one could make a fine living in this country in many areas including trucking and aviation, it is those that CHOOSE to work for less that have helped let the rest of us down and have played into the hands of ruthless corporate and government exploiters.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahan
I saved $20k in 1 year after taxes. I dont have rent or a car.

Flight school sounds interesting. Do pilots make good money starting out?
Startin out, no. The hardest part is after all of your training is complete, then you have to build up so many flying hours before a good company will hire you. Most people have to become certified flight instructors for this to happen. And you have to be in the right area to get a lot of hours training other students. I want to be an EMS helicopter pilot. Most companies won't hire you unless you have 1500 PIC (pilot in command) flight hours. And flight instructors get paid about $10-12 an hour starting out, and those hours are very inconsistent. It takes a lot of money and patience. This is why I probably will end up not becoming a professional pilot, even though I want to. The best route is going into the military where they will train you. But I couldn't do that because my vision didn't meet their overly strict requirements. But I'm good enough to fly in the civillian sector. So I may just get my privates pilot license one day (around $10k for helicopter) and buy me a little robinson r-22 helicopter when I retire and fly for fun. That would suit me fine.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Rookie

I have a 1947 Cessna 120 that my father and I are currently restoring. We are at the point of putting it back together after having it painted. I got my license beck in the 70's. I spent the last 28 years in the Air Force doing aircraft maintenance and have my FAA airframe and power plant license. I had hopes of getting into the civilian world of aircraft maintenance but the starting pay in not vey good. I've decided to go with TMC starting in September. If you are interested in learning to fly for a little less check out EAA.org and look at the sport pilot/light soprt aircraft information or just do a google search on it.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:27 PM

They're going to lock this topic if we keep talking about planes and helicopters!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Rookie
Default I agree with sweepwing!!

After flying for 14 years, I can't wait to get on the road!! I hope to be an O/O in a year or so. So you want to be a pilot, ah? FYI, I have flown for various airlines and corporations making between $15k-60k / year. Same story as trucking. Bad dispatchers/schedulers and have to fight to get home. I have been around trucking for a long time and believe it or not, there is less BS in trucking. Currently, after my last aviation company shut its doors, I am back flying for a regional airline for only $28k a year. That's as a Captain!! Yea, it can be cool walking through the terminal in a uniform, but that doesn't pay the mortgage. Can you make money in either trucking or flying. Sure. But a price will be paid. Just make sure you are happy in the morning or your day will suck. By the way, it only cost $2k-$7k for a CDL and $60-100K to obtain all your flight ratings (& college, if needed). Not to mention, building flight time. All for the same amount of income, you do the math. It may sound like I'm bitter, but I'm not. Actually, I am very excited to start something new. I wouldn't trade my aviation experience for anything, but it's time to move on. I wish you luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Rookie

i have my private license and about 100 hours stick time and that has cost me a small fortune to accomplish

now figure you will have to accumulate at least 1500 hours before you can get a decent commercial job

get your license and have fun with it but realize the prospects of making a living with it are pretty bleak