User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Tonight I went to an informational session at a local trucking school. A few trucking companies were there, including Schneider's. The guy dispelled a few myths. Although the pay isn't as high as some other companies, they really do take you by the hand and help you get started in your first year. It gave me new hope in this! Although I still wanted local, I realized you honestly need experience since city driving is more challenging. For example, with OTR you may back up once or twice a day, with local, you might be doing it 20 times a day. Or so they say...

So, a few things to think about and maybe reconsider my thoughts on OTR, local and regional, or at an extreme, perhaps considering not getting into this (not likely though).
Old 07-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Board Member

somehow this thread got hijacked by a bible thumper. didn't it start out with something about warning new truckers not to expect life as a trucker to be all it is blowen up to be? maybe i'm wrong. maybe it is about god loving us in spite of whatever. personal religious beliefs should be another thread. i respect everyones right to love any god they want, but, ...........
Old 07-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choperbob
somehow this thread got hijacked by a bible thumper. didn't it start out with something about warning new truckers not to expect life as a trucker to be all it is blowen up to be? maybe i'm wrong. maybe it is about god loving us in spite of whatever. personal religious beliefs should be another thread. i respect everyones right to love any god they want, but, ...........
Yes, so moving right along... (and this is a serious on-topic issue), I could be starting a truck training course in 10 days. Before, I'd have jumped on the opportunity. Now, partly due to the reality of it setting in after reading these posts, I'm not sure about it.

If I do go ahead with it, my plan is to take the truck training course, apply to Schnieder (or other large companies) that will do further training. Then do OTR for a year or two and "pay my dues." I like the idea of finally earning some decent pay, seeing all kinds of neat places, etc. Not so sure I look forward to living in a truck 26 days per month, eating on the run, showering and washing clothes at truck stops. Plus, I hate to leave my elderly parents alone, give up my house, let my leased car sit most of the month while paying the monthly lease and insurance payments. However, I'm so sick and tired of living well below the poverty line and look forward to a decent paying job with benefits, etc, and finally get ahead financially. It's pretty much a sure thing - both the money and the negative downsides if I go ahead with the truck training.

On the flip side, if I don't go ahead with the truck training course, there's a slight chance I might get ahead with something else I can do locally (the again, I could be back to driving the school bus part time and barely getting by). Or, move out west and start fresh in a new city where job prospects are supposedly good. I might do really well, which my friend seems quite confident in, or it could be a flop.

Aaaaaahhhh!!!!! What to do? I don't think anyone can make up my mind for me, I just wanted to vent. But if anyone has something to add that wasn't already mentioned, feel free to mention it.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:11 PM

Copius just do it..If it's not for you just walk away.Have you taken a look at beer or coke or something like that.I'm finding out that I can get hired with just a permit and they will teach me the rest.Just commit to a year or so.Getting with Bud or Coke is not a bad job you just have to work a little...Home every night and some weekends off I think.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Board Member

OK, I cleaned this thread up a little. Sorry to those of you whose posts got deleted too. I tried to make the thread "flow" as best I could.

Ridge
Old 07-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Board Regular

Ridge you Rock :rock:
Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Well sometimes I get it right. :wink:
Old 07-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larz0142
Copius just do it..If it's not for you just walk away.Have you taken a look at beer or coke or something like that.I'm finding out that I can get hired with just a permit and they will teach me the rest.Just commit to a year or so.Getting with Bud or Coke is not a bad job you just have to work a little...Home every night and some weekends off I think.
This has been on my mind a lot lately. I think I'll go for it. It would be silly not to. The money will be great, even if the job isn't, and at this point, the money is what's important. No job is perfect, and there's always a transition phase. If I go with Schneider Transport, I'll be committed for about a year, and the pay isn't the highest in the industry (though still acceptable to me), but they seem like a decent company to work for.

I thought of driving a Coke truck or beer truck... and oddly enough a friend of mine got talking to a guy driving a Coke truck last week. Apparently most drivers don't stay more than 5 years since it's really hard on their knees with all the lifting involved. Maybe not much on a daily basis, but when it's done for an extended period of time, it takes its toll. The good part is that you can be home every night, and the truck training school I want to go to could probably help me get in with Coke or another local job. But, I've also heard that local jobs require more skill since they're usually in-town, with tighter streets, more traffic and lots of backing up. Whereas OTR has a lot more open road and highway and much less backing. I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense to get the OTR experience first when you look at it that way.

At this point, I'd say there's a great chance that I WILL take the trucking course, than not. I could take a few weeks break, although it's recommended to apply to some companies while still taking the courses and upon acceptance, move right on over to a company immediately after getting licensed or no more than a couple of weeks later. This life-changing thing could happen to me very quickly so I'm carefully considering all the pros and cons.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:01 PM

I don't know if over thinking this is good.I talked to Bud and other dist. they told me to just get my permit and they train.I live in a hot area and it's hard to keep workers.Plus I talked with some recruters and they said tractor trailer exp.I asked is beer ok and he said yes..Go with coke get your degree and move to the sales part..But IMO don't think your way out of a chance for a better like....maybe. lol
Old 07-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Rookie

I think if I take the truck driving lessons, I will probably hear about, or fund out more information, or I can always ask. I may look at things all together differently then, but you're right, we don't want to over-think things or I'll talk myself out of it!