Old 02-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ohio Wal-Mart Shutting down Truck Parking

From Landline (OOIDA)

Quote:

Ohio Wal-Mart bans trucks from overnight parking

A Wal-Mart Supercenter in Canal Winchester, OH, has caved into demands from nearby residents and stopped allowing trucks to use its lot for overnight parking.

The Columbus Dispatch reported that the ban came after residents of a nearby condominium community claimed that the noise from the idling trucks was keeping them awake at night.

The company reacted quickly by posting signs warning truckers that any trucks parked there would be towed at the owner?s expense.

Local law requires Wal-Mart to put up four tow-away signs in the lot before enforcing the no-parking policy, The Dispatch reported. The retailer went above and beyond the law and put up special ?No Truck Parking? signs as well.

While residents are happy with the new truck ban, The Dispatch reported that they are still concerned about the traffic that could result from a gas station Wal-Mart plans to build on its lot.
Not all Wal-Marts are truck friendly and it depends on management. Even when local management appreciates truckers the locals might not. Just a heads up for planing purposes.

In an era of a parking shortage for the big rigs, I am curious what the impact would be if all Wal-Marts prohibited parking. I am taking a little poll.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I sometimes use a Wal Mart to park at overnight, but it is rare. I do use our local Wal Mart (with the store managers permission) to park my rig at when I am home however.

Even though I rarely use Wal Mart as a parking space when I am on the road I do often stop at the Super Centers to replenish supplies when I am gone for extended lengths.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Wouldn't have been easier to post signs telling truckers no idling during certain hours and have met the needs of both the neighbors and the truckers?

Neighbors get to sleep, truckers get a place to park... So why the over-reaction?

Longsnowsm
Old 02-01-2006, 03:02 PM

the walmart supercenter in lima ohio won't let ya park overnight :sad:
they got a sherriff that stands in the store all night and every hour or so when a truck pulls in he goes out and kicks em out...i wish these guys could see how it is to sleep in some rough looking spots....it's kinda ironic if they got it, then that means a trucker brought it....they like the truckers product but not the trucker :sad: the k mart down the road lets trucks park.....so when they get kicked outa walmart they usually drive down to the k mart...atleast they don't have to drive as far as alotta other places :cry:
Old 02-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Perhaps you need to take your dollars to KMart instead of WalMart. I prefer spending my money with those who are friendly and appreciate my business. Some WalMarts are cool about parking. Others are not. If they have signs up I just take my business else where. I usually spend money with them when I park there. I figure that if they don't want me to park, they are telling me that they don't want my business. That is ok with me. I will just take my business to a retailer who does appreciate it and probably needs it more than WalMart anyway.

I can understand why some stores may not appreciate trucks parking. Some leave such a mess when they leave. For those who don't mind I say we should patronize them as much as possible. They help us by allowing us to park. We help them by purchasing things which we need. I hate going to WalMart, anyway.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:23 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Interestingly enough, I believe Wal Mart has gone to a company-wide policy of no idling at all on their premises...stores and DC's alike. At least that's the direction we have been instructed to give to our drivers.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Senior Board Member

While except in the rare circumstances I do not park overnight at Walmart, I do frequent the Super Centers to replenish supplies. Those Walmarts that are "truck friendly" (ie. the ones that have marked truck parking spaces), I always make sure to take a few extra minutes out of my shopping to track down the store manager and personally thank him or her for supporting the drivers. Put a face to the industry, and we're more likely to get more from local business.

I refuse to shop at my local Walmart when I'm on home call - there are posted signs for no semi trucks regardless of the reason. Same with Walmarts with the clearance bars - yes, I know how to get around the majority of them and just park behind the building like I'm delivering, but I refuse to support a store that won't support me.

Generally though, I've had more Kmarts chase me off property than Walmarts....
Old 02-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Senior Board Member

The Walmart here in town let truckers use there parking lot as long as they don't park up front where all the cars are.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Senior Board Member

What really irks me is that many stores, and not just Wal Mart, will chase off truckers but will not say anything to the RV'ers who come in and set up camp in the parking lot.

While the generators on the RV's are not as loud as an idling truck, you get 4 or 5 of them together and it can get quite noisy. In addition I have seen a lot more Rv's leaving trash in the parking lot than I ever have trucks, plus on a number of occasions I have seen them grill out and then dump their ash on the lots.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

You nailed it right there, U-Turn. It's like that here at the big Super Center in Coralville. RV's spread out all over the parking lot and trash everywhere. :x