User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 04:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenaway
what ever gave drivers the idea that Wal Mart was a truck stop ?

simple , if you ask me. It's a store and not a truck stop or rest area.
Sadly in some areas Wal Mart or other shopping center lots are about the only other viable option other than parking on a ramp. There are many well traveled areas that only have a few hundred truck parking spaces in a 200 mile radius.

On top of that Wal Mart, if at all possible, likes to build off of freeway exits and along major US routes. Because of this it makes them very easy for truckers to locate.

What is so aggravating and pathetic is how a few can ruin a good thing. A good case in point is the Wal Mart in Mt Vernon, IL. As anyone who runs I64 from St Louis to KY or I 57 south of Effingham can tell you, truck parking is somewhat at a premium. Wal Mart in Mt Vernon used to allow trucks to park on the lot from 10pm to 7am, however they started to get a lot of flack from drivers not willing to leave the lot by 7am and all to often had to call in the law to make them move. Between this and a few instances of the trash issues they put up the 12 foot barriers and forbid trucks from the lot.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Rookie

I love people who say "I hate Wal Mart" but have no real reason why. First, Wal Mart is more than willing to accomodate truckers in their parking lots. They put the barriers up more often than not due to city or county ordinances. Or they are up because someone has ruined the priveledge for everybody else. Certain stores (such as this one in Ohio) have to do what is best for the community they reside in. Wal Mart shuts off parking to certain stores and suddenly they are branded as trucker haters? Even at our local store with its super tiny parking lot truckers are welcome. Our managers never get mad at the truck drivers in our lot. Not even when the Swift drivers dont pick up their empties and leave them in the bay and we have to go out at 4am to wake them up to move the empty so we can get the days deliveries. Yes, Wal Mart is the not the best company in the world but they do not deserve the bad rap they get for EVERYTHING they do. I agree with anyone who said "when did Wal Mart become a truck stop?. They didnt. The local mall doesnt allow overnight truck parking, but I dont hear anyone bitching about that.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have a problem with WalMart on several issues. While I am grateful to those who will allow truck parking, they certainly make money if I or any other trucker stops to shop. WalMart is not trucker friendly at their distribution centers. Drivers are expected to unload or at least assist in unloading a truck and repackage or repalletize their freight to their specifications. If you deliver to them you are not allowed to rest in your sleeper while you are being unloaded. They want you to unload their freight for them. They use to tout only buying American made products. In reality, they have actually encouraged foreign manufacturing of products they purchase. WalMart used to avoid smaller communities. They now actively pursue smaller markets devastating independent businesses in the community. Granted they offer cheaper prices on many items, but at what price? Thriving businesses cannot compete with their huge buying power and predatory pricing practices. I know, it is a two way street. We want the cheaper prices but hate the competition with local businesses. I don't necessarily thing that bigger is better. I only shop at WalMart when I have to. I prefer smaller independent businesses. I do admit that when I am on the road, I will sometimes stop at a WalMart to gather supplies, mainly because their parking lot is bigger and easier to access than many local grocery stores. Plus, they are usually near major interstates so that they are easier to find. :?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Board Regular

The only time we every parked in a walmart lot was to shop. We would park at the supercenter in Mechanisburg, Pa (usually without the trailer, our termnal was 5 miles away) go eat dinner at Drovoso's (sp?) go to Marshalls (they got nice big guy clothes) then go to walmart then be on our way. Every time we parked there there were always a few T/T parked there, but they were out of the way. [/i]

Old 02-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Senior Board Member

It took me several days since this post began before it hit me that I go to Lima all the time. The biggest problem with trucks parking at Wal-mart in Lima is Proctor and Gamble. When you go there to get your load and it isn't ready yet you are not allowed to park there so everybody drives to nearest spot to wait for their load which happens to be Wal-mart. I've gotten there several times right at my appointment time only to be told that my load isn't ready and to drop my empty and bobtail out of there and then spend the next couple hours calling to check on the load status. I usually go get something to eat at one of the restaurants in the area. Basically my point is that the town is getting all over Wal-mart and the truck drivers when they should be getting on P&G's case since they won't let trucks park there that are waiting to move their freight that is usually not ready ontime. :? :?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

It would piss me off if someone parked outside of my house and left their truck idling all night.

Good for the goose thingy.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:01 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
It would piss me off if someone parked outside of my house and left their truck idling all night.

Good for the goose thingy.
So... what part of WalMart's parking lot is your house on? :lol:

Most Walmart Supercenters are open all night. Millions of megawatts of light energy and HVAC sytems. Lots of noise.

It would piss me off, if people parked outside my home and left their piss bottles there. Or, if I had to clean the parking lot after a bunch of truckers threw their trash on the lot instead of in the CANS!

People in general, in this throw away society, have decided it's O.K. to throw their trash on the surface of the planet, instead of in a recepticle. How stupid is THAT?

Man is his own worst enemy. Or, in other words... I've met my enemy, and he is ME!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Rookie
Default walmart

well one thing to park at a walmart to shop or if road conditions are too poor to drive, but to park there just to park there? Too many other places to park. Many walmarts have signs posted if no truck parking. So overall I guess you would say I am against parking overnight at walmart.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo

So... what part of WalMart's parking lot is your house on? :lol:
I live in a 1974 Chevy 3/4 ton long wheelbase van. I park at Walmart for the company and I can eat at Macdonalds.

The Van has sex lights.

of course, that is the only thing associated with my life that has anything to do with sex.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Default Yes

It is very nice of any place that allows truck parking and when they start shutting us out of them because of some idiots then we scream unfair. I also remember awhile ago when someone said to turn in someone else who was trashing a place and the hue and cry was huge about ratting out someone. Well if we don't turn in the riff raff then who will. We deserve what we get. Many great places that were open for us to park are now shut off to us because of a few idiots. If I were to place a bench so people could rest their legs on my property and then trash started appearing strewn around then I definitely would get rid of the bench and place a no trespassing sign up.