View Poll Results: Should a new driver start with a tanker?
yes 18 30.00%
no 42 70.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 PM
PA
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

with the right train u could do it but im with the others here that say start with van learn some more and then switch
Old 12-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

CTL which is one of the "COMCAR" companies will train and hire a "newbie", but they train you do do it right. They have a lot of local type work around their terminals... The new driver spends a good bit of time with the trainer and they are fairly critical when training. Just try being sloppy when loading, transporting and unloading 98% pure sulphuric acid. You only get to make one mistake....quite possibly the last one you'll ever make. At a minimum you'll wear that mistake for the rest of your life.

I vote no. I think it best to start out with van or reefer (ugghh :sad: ) before taking on the tanker challenge. 99% of tank companies require 2 years OTR, and significant snow/ice and mountain experience..... and there are valid reasons why.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Senior Board Member

I had to say No as well to the rookie pulling a tanker. (at least a year or more of experience). Pulling a dry van just think for a moment. nothing should be moving in you're dry van so One less thing to think about.

But in a tanker Oh no a yellow light! its turning red..steps on the brake..and all that water or liquid behind you (in the trailer) well its going foward and so are you lol.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh and I do realize that post is from 2 years ago..Just went looking at different posts found that on page 43 or something lol. =P
Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Senior Board Member

meanbone.................. did'nt you start out with TWT right out of school??
you seem to be doing ok. what prompted you to ask this???
is a co-worker having a hard time?....................just curious......lol
Old 03-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't think that a driver should even be able to get a taanker endorsement untill after he (or she!!) has at least two years of driving experience with no accidents, wrecks, or preventables.

There is just too much that can go wrong. To my way of thinking, it's sort of like a pilot wanting to fly a Cessna 310 (a twin that Cessna built for many years; a fine bird, but it will bite you in the ass if you don't know what you are doing!!) without having first flown a C-172.

It is a fertile breeding ground for trouble.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:26 AM
Senior Board Member

I say it depends on your driving ability. By that, I mean ability to predict the 4 wheeler thats gonna cut you off, knowledge of the roads, etc.

I voted no, but thats for the average guy. Theres no reason a safety-minded driver can't be a good tanker driver though.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:26 AM

I get sick and tired of you guys acting like pulling tanker is so friggin hard and only an "experienced" driver should even attempt it.Give me a break.Driving a tractor trailer is driving a tractor trailer.It makes no difference if your pulling a van,flatbed or a tank.Driving a big rig is driving a big rig.I'm proof that a rookie fresh out of truck school can get a job pulling tankers.Even if the company says it wants 1-3 years of experience that does not mean u have to have it.If you interview well you can get them to give you a road test.During the road test if you show them that you can handle the rig and you do so in a safe manner then you can get the job.The interview is a big part of getting the job.It don't matter if you have been pulling tanks for 10 years,if you come to the interview not dressed right and you don't interview well then your 10 years of experience means nothing.If a guy fresh out of school shows up dressed right and interviews well then there is a very good shot at them giving you a road test.Once you get out on that road and show them you can drive the rig and you do so safely then odds are your gonna get a job offer.Why did you get the job offer?Not because of your driving experience but because you showed up dressed right and you interviewed well.That is why they offered you a road test.I was fresh out of school and got a tanker job here in the bay area and have been doing it for about 1 1/2 months.The first 4 weeks i had a trainer and now I'm out on my own.I think if you want to drive tanks fresh out off school then go for it.Even if the company wants experience.Give em a shot the worst they can say is no.But as i said it all goes back to the interview.Have a good interview and you will get the job.My boss told me they like to hire guys fresh out of school so they can train them right from the get go.He also told me that he would hire a guy fresh out of school that interviewed well before some hot shot know it all trucker with 5 years experience that does not show up in the right dress or interview well.All you guys fresh out of school that want to pull tanks go for it.Learn on the tank right from the get go.Don't listen to these guys in here that say 99% of company's wont even look at you without experience because they will.Be persistent and show up dressed right and have a good interview.And all this talk about surge is a joke.Drive slow and safe and you will be fine.It is not as bad as you guys make it out to be.With the right truck school training and then proper training with the tankers anybody can do it.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I get sick and tired of you guys acting like pulling tanker is so friggin hard and only an "experienced" driver should even attempt it.Give me a break.Driving a tractor trailer is driving a tractor trailer.It makes no difference if your pulling a van,flatbed or a tank.Driving a big rig is driving a big rig.I'm proof that a rookie fresh out of truck school can get a job pulling tankers.Even if the company says it wants 1-3 years of experience that does not mean u have to have it.If you interview well you can get them to give you a road test.During the road test if you show them that you can handle the rig and you do so in a safe manner then you can get the job.The interview is a big part of getting the job.It don't matter if you have been pulling tanks for 10 years,if you come to the interview not dressed right and you don't interview well then your 10 years of experience means nothing.If a guy fresh out of school shows up dressed right and interviews well then there is a very good shot at them giving you a road test.Once you get out on that road and show them you can drive the rig and you do so safely then odds are your gonna get a job offer.Why did you get the job offer?Not because of your driving experience but because you showed up dressed right and you interviewed well.That is why they offered you a road test.I was fresh out of school and got a tanker job here in the bay area and have been doing it for about 1 1/2 months.The first 4 weeks i had a trainer and now I'm out on my own.I think if you want to drive tanks fresh out off school then go for it.Even if the company wants experience.Give em a shot the worst they can say is no.But as i said it all goes back to the interview.Have a good interview and you will get the job.My boss told me they like to hire guys fresh out of school so they can train them right from the get go.He also told me that he would hire a guy fresh out of school that interviewed well before some hot shot know it all trucker with 5 years experience that does not show up in the right dress or interview well.All you guys fresh out of school that want to pull tanks go for it.Learn on the tank right from the get go.Don't listen to these guys in here that say 99% of company's wont even look at you without experience because they will.Be persistent and show up dressed right and have a good interview.And all this talk about surge is a joke.Drive slow and safe and you will be fine.It is not as bad as you guys make it out to be.With the right truck school training and then proper training with the tankers anybody can do it.
Can't agree with you 100%, tanker does take a little more skill then a van. If you're a safety minded driver no biggy, but if you're not you'll be in for a surprise or two. :wink:
Old 03-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I get sick and tired of you guys acting like pulling tanker is so friggin hard and only an "experienced" driver should even attempt it.Give me a break.

Didn't say it was "harder" than pulling a dry box or a skateboard; I said that the risk level is higher.
8)
Driving a tractor trailer is driving a tractor trailer.It makes no difference if your pulling a van,flatbed or a tank.Driving a big rig is driving a big rig.
:roll:
Couldn't be more wrong IMO, but with your 6 or 7 Weeks of driving experience, I'm sure that you know more than others here!!